Knoebels Discussion Thread

P. 217 - Knoebel's Announces "Impulse", a Zierer Coaster
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Former Knoebels Flyer Operator

Re: The Official Knoebels Thread!

Postby RCoasterny » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:55 am

cal1br3tto wrote:Nice, sounds like you only missed one, because once I caught a ring every time and ended up with 10. I was proud of myself since usually when I ride a ring carousel, I miss the first or last, and sometimes one or two in between. :p

I'm curious about reports on the timing of the Black Diamond stunts. I don't know much about dark rides, but I would guess that simple adjustments would at least make things better for the front car, and possibly the second also.

I was once able to get 14 ring s, and that was with a couple of misses. If I got really good, and didn't miss every time, I would have ended up with 20 ring s. ;)

As for the timing of the stunts- there are several stunts that "fall" onto you. The problem is that the stunt activates when the front of the train is a good 6 feet away from it. If the stunt activates when you are right next to it, it gives that surprise effect which makes it a good trick. They should make the falling barrel trick activate when the 1st car is right in front of it, and then make the falling rock trick activate when the 2nd car is right in front of it. They did however, get the timing for the collapsing ceiling right.
Last edited by RCoasterny on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:26 am.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alilstronger » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:59 am

I can not wait to ride Black Diamond this weekend!! I plan on getting there before the park opens and get right in line for this since the lines have been long.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Coaster Count: 295
Favorite Steel: Maverick - CP
Favorite Wooden: El Toro - SFGA

TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:12 am

cal1br3tto wrote:Nice, sounds like you only missed one, because once I caught a ring every time and ended up with 10. I was proud of myself since usually when I ride a ring carousel, I miss the first or last, and sometimes one or two in between. :p

Yeah, the second time I rode it was at least four or five laps before they even put out the dispenser, and I missed two in a row about halfway through my ride. The first time I rode I often picked the ring out of the dispenser easily but it would slip out of my hand and fall to the carousel floor!
Check out my portfolio on Carbonmade! January 29 - new update!
I wrote the book about NoLimits. Check it out on Amazon!
Like the Penn State Theme Park Engineering Group on Facebook!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Ccron10 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:44 am

A.J. wrote:

Yeah, the second time I rode it was at least four or five laps before they even put out the dispenser, and I missed two in a row about halfway through my ride. The first time I rode I often picked the ring out of the dispenser easily but it would slip out of my hand and fall to the carousel floor!

I think I averaged around 6 or 7 ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings, but I pittied the people who sat on the horses behind me since the ring would slip out of my reach and go flying behind me. I think there were a couple of ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings laying on the ground behind my horse.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:43 am

Ah, I wasn't sure if the carousel runs the same cycle every time, or if they put the arm out at a consistent time. Sounds like 10 may be a bit low then. I've also heard of people who can grab two or more "at a time", but my horse always moves so fast I feel like I can barely get one!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby NickP37 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:19 pm

^I'm one of those 2 at a time people. It's all about the technique! But if you can master it, you can grab about 20 ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings on average.

We ended up riding Black Diamond Sunday once all of the hype died down a bit. Still waited the better part of an hour but, by then all the glitches seemed to be over with and the line was rolling right along. I have to say, yet another great great move for the Knoebel family. I remember as a kid watching that desolate golden nugget building from afar ( mid 90's or so) wondering if I would ever get a chance to ride it. I agree with the folks earlier on in the thread that a few of the effects were a little off in timing.. but still what a blast from the past kind of ride!
[color=#FFBF40]www.eastcoastcoasters.com[/color]

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby palmerleeberry » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:31 pm

Well, I'm glad that the BLack Diamond is up and running, but I don't have any plans of running to Knoebels anytime soon. I still swore an oath to myself not to return to Knoebels until The Lying Turds was up and running. If I have to break that oath in a few years and return, then I may do so, but today I'll still keep to that oath.

:pillow: "Then how about swearing an oath to me, like I'll stop typing and go to bed more often?"

FIRE HAIRED BOY

Postby krazekiddd » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:12 pm

alilstronger wrote:I can not wait to ride Black Diamond this weekend!!

Jealous! I wish Florida had parks like this! I really would like to plan a visit up there and do some camping at some point.

2007 TPR MidWest Tour | 2008 TPR East Coast Tour |2009 TPR West Coast Tour | 2010 TPR USA Trips | 2011 TPR Tokyo | 2012 Europe Trip

"Gelato isn't vegan?"

Postby ILoveRides » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:56 pm

NickP37 wrote:^I'm one of those 2 at a time people. It's all about the technique! But if you can master it, you can grab about 20 ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings on average.

I had no idea it was possible to grab two at a time. It's hard enough grabbing one, I'm trying to figure out how it's even feasible to grab two. Two hands? Multiple fingers? Magnets? Laser beams? Miniature elves hidden in your sleeves that jump out and grab the ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings then toss them to you? UGH... how!?!?

I eat bugs.

Postby deathbydinn » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:31 pm

^I suppose a lot depends on the speed of the carousel. On slower ones it can be possible to get triples, as shown here.

Add me on Simpsons Tapped Out - jongrundl

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!