Knoebels Discussion Thread

Page 350: 2017 new ride announcement
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Knoebels Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:05 am

x2isawesome wrote:The park is just perfect in every way.

Except... no beer man.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:26 am

prozach626 wrote:can someone please try explain just what makes this ride so special?

prozach626 wrote:I actually don't prefer much airtime on wooden coasters. Usually the more tame, the better.

I'm kind of the same in terms of airtime (I assume I'm one of very few here that doesn't particularly dig the kind of thigh-slamming ejection you get on certain RMCs / Intamins), yet this ride's genuinely great. I remember watching a reverse POV on here and assuming that the riders were exaggerating by slightly standing up in their seats, but that's exactly what it does to you (you can watch riders launching out of their seats on the return bunny hop-leg from outside the ride). It has plenty of the ricketiness you might expect from a classic woodie, but it's not that rough or uncomfortable overall, and the launching airtime is more funny than freaky. When people discuss it as an intense airtime machine, they're right, but it's a different experience to riding something like an RMC or Skyrush. If it had more robust restraints that pinned you down, it'd probably be a fairly mediocre ride.

I didn't enjoy the park as much as I hoped I would, but I certainly see why so many people love it. The anti-corporate style is a breath of fresh air, but the place also has a kind of Deliverance-style atmosphere to it. I like classic, old-school dark rides, so it's worth it for the two they have, and the place is definitely a trip. I'm not a fan of greasy / fried food (or cooked food in general really), but folks go nuts for the stuff on offer here.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby BlahBlahson » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:57 am

For me the entire reason Phoenix is special is the Buzz Bars. You can almost literally stand up the ride has so much space to actually experience the airtime.

So many coasters and parks staple you into the ride, which is totally acceptable for safety reasons, but you never actually come off of your seat.

But with Phoenix it's almost European in the "how do they still operate it like this" aspect. If they ever replaced it with modern PTC bars it would honestly be like deleting the ride IMO. They have several other things at Knoebels that are in this vein, such as "is there actually an entrance to this park? Oh I guess not" and "wait the food is ACTUALLY good" and my favorite "Wait they have one of those rides still?" Knoebels is special because the experience is very unique and unlike other parks, for the positive.
Remember: Get out there and RIDE!

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby Brassinthegrass » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:52 pm

I agree. I took my boyfriend to Knoebels this summer for his first visit and I told him nothing about the park except that the food was amazing and that it was very unique. He couldn't get over how unique it was especially the way you just walk into the park and how there is a road down the center of it. Parts of this park I hope never change, and I think if the owners stay the owners it never will!

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:53 pm

Genx24 wrote:
jynx242 wrote:^The awesome thing about Knoebels is, to the first time visitor, it doesn't appear perfect. It looks like you are pulling into a flea market. Once they get inside and spend about 10 minutes there, they are hooked though!

This. When I went for my maiden visit last month, upon arriving I said to myself "This is the place everyone goes crazy for?" Fast forward a few hours, and I was grinning like a kid in a candy store, trying to think of how I can get back ASAP.

:nina:

I went for the first time about 3 weeks ago, and this was my reaction exactly too.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby CoasterBuck » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:20 pm

robbalvey wrote:Hey everyone! We just got in the following info from Knoebels about Phall Phunfest! Remember your Club TPR membership allows you access to this event!

Hello,

Phoenix Phall Phunfest will be here before we know it! We’ll once again have a Friday night exclusive event on October 6, and our traditional PPP events on October 7.

We know many PPP visitors love Flying Turns, but might not love waiting in line to ride. So this year, Flying Turns will be part of the Friday night exclusive event (weather permitting)! We’re still receiving the overwhelming response that a Phoenix Phall Phunfest event should include Phoenix, so Phoenix will fly the entire time, too! The event will be held in Phoenix courtyard area, and will include “light” refreshments (Knoebels style), live entertainment, great friends and more!

The Friday night event will be open to pre-registered members of approved enthusiast clubs and one guest, and the coupon pack will be provided on Saturday with the purchase of a Phunfest Saturday ride plan AND proof of a club membership. Registration for Friday evening is currently open at http://www.knoebels.com/phunfest. Pre-registration will not be required for Saturday. You do not need to purchase a pay-one-price plan in order to attend the Friday evening event, but you do need to purchase a pay-one-price plan on Saturday in order to get the coupon pack.

Phoenix Phall Phunfest Preview Exclusive Event (October 6):
- FREE event for card carrying enthusiasts of our approved groups (Club TPR!), plus one guest
- Register at http://www.knoebels.com/phunfest
- Check-in begins at 6:30 p.m. on October 6 near Freaky Fandango
- Event runs from 7:00-10:00 p.m.
- Three hours of ERT on Phoenix and Flying Turns (weather permitting)
- “Light" refreshments
- Knoebels Plinko game with Knoebels prizes (with donation to Give Kids the World)
- Live entertainment by the "Koaster Kats"
- PPP shirt sales so you can skip the line on Saturday

Phoenix Phall Phunfest Saturday Events (October 7):
- 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Covered Bridge Festival
- 11:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. Rides Open
- noon - 4:00 p.m. Souvenir Swap Meet at Phoenix Courtyard
- 7:00 p.m. - Costume Parade registration at Food Court
- 8:00 p.m. - Costume Parade (prizes awarded)
- 10:30 p.m. - Rally & Bonfire at Campground

Phunfest Coupon Packs are provided to approved enthusiast club members only (does not include guest) who purchase any of our Saturday Ride Plans. Coupon Pack includes: 2 Slices of Cesari's Pizza, Drink, Game Ticket & Haunted Mansion Ticket). Pre-registration not required.

We hope to see you in October (or sooner)!

Those of you planning to go to PPP 2017 -- and specifically, the Phriday night PPPreview Party (which you should be, it's going to be fkn amazing!!) -- may also be interest to know that the very kind folks over at the Elysburg Haunted House ( https://www.facebook.com/ElysburgHauntedHouse ) have offered Friday Knoebels attendees the special priviledge of a PREVIEW HAUNT night (somewhat in conjunction with the Knoebel event).

It will also be held on Friday, October 6th, from 9 - 10 PM-ish** They note the closing is not a hard/fast time, and they they will stay open if there are large crowds of attendees -- they want EVERYONE to go through their amazing house!!!

So yeah -- FYI if you're planning on attending PPP 2017, and specifically Knoebels Friday Night soiree, that one of the BEST Haunted Houses in all of America will be open for Enthusiasts and their Guests late on that Friday night as well. The house is AWESOME and it's an opportunity you'd be well served in seizing!!!!!
:b
elysburgHH_announcement.jpg
CoasterBuck Factoids:

- I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way
- I'm old, but that's OK. I've been to tons of now-defunct parks <3
- I stopped "counting" coasters at 1000, but chances are that I've ridden more than most

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby I Like Theme Parks. » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:15 am

My family had an unexpected visit to Knoebels a few days ago. We went for four hours and got the after-4pm wristband, but I was able to get a ton of rides in. There were barely any lines so most coasters ran one train, but they were the fastest one-train operations I have ever seen. We also got tons of food. The atmosphere of this park grows on me more and more after every visit. Rides:

Haunted Mansion
Flying Turns
Flyer
Phoenix x 5
- My opinion on what the best seat is changes almost every visit. Sometimes I like the back rows, this time I preferred the front row. Always an exciting and addictive coaster.
Giant Flume
Super Round-Up
Black Diamond
Bumper Cars
- Got my most insane ride on it yet!
Satellite
Impulse
StratosFear
Twister x 3
- Rode in the back row once, and second row twice. The train wasn't very full on any of my rides, but still keeps a fast pace.
Fandango - In almost any other park this would be something I'd ride every visit, but I tend to neglect Fandango since there's so much to do here. It's a small frisbee, but the hang-time is fantastic.
Power Surge
Downdraft x 2 - I always love to end the night with Downdraft!

We'll be coming back in October, hopefully to spend the whole day and enjoy the smaller attractions I haven't been on. I've been here six times and I still need to try their carousel, Cosmotron, ski lift, the magic carpet ride that literally has a human wife, train ride, etc. There's new things I want to try each time!
Top 3 Parks: Knoebels, Cedar Point, Kennywood
Top 3 Steel Coasters: Phantom's Revenge, Intimidator 305, Fury 325
Top 3 Wood Coasters: El Toro, Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 3 Flat Rides: Knoebels Flyers, Black Widow, Zipper
Top 3 Water Rides: Coal Cracker, Escape From Pompeii, Splash Mountain
160 coasters

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby Taylor Finn » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:55 am

Can someone give me a quick sell on why I oughta go to Phoenix Phall Phunfest? Never been before, obviously love the park. Just curious as to what separates it from other days (aside from the Friday preview)? Thanks guys!

Postby jynx242 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:28 am

CoasterBuck wrote:
robbalvey wrote:Hey everyone! We just got in the following info from Knoebels about Phall Phunfest! Remember your Club TPR membership allows you access to this event!

Hello,

Phoenix Phall Phunfest will be here before we know it! We’ll once again have a Friday night exclusive event on October 6, and our traditional PPP events on October 7.

We know many PPP visitors love Flying Turns, but might not love waiting in line to ride. So this year, Flying Turns will be part of the Friday night exclusive event (weather permitting)! We’re still receiving the overwhelming response that a Phoenix Phall Phunfest event should include Phoenix, so Phoenix will fly the entire time, too! The event will be held in Phoenix courtyard area, and will include “light” refreshments (Knoebels style), live entertainment, great friends and more!

The Friday night event will be open to pre-registered members of approved enthusiast clubs and one guest, and the coupon pack will be provided on Saturday with the purchase of a Phunfest Saturday ride plan AND proof of a club membership. Registration for Friday evening is currently open at http://www.knoebels.com/phunfest. Pre-registration will not be required for Saturday. You do not need to purchase a pay-one-price plan in order to attend the Friday evening event, but you do need to purchase a pay-one-price plan on Saturday in order to get the coupon pack.

Phoenix Phall Phunfest Preview Exclusive Event (October 6):
- FREE event for card carrying enthusiasts of our approved groups (Club TPR!), plus one guest
- Register at http://www.knoebels.com/phunfest
- Check-in begins at 6:30 p.m. on October 6 near Freaky Fandango
- Event runs from 7:00-10:00 p.m.
- Three hours of ERT on Phoenix and Flying Turns (weather permitting)
- “Light" refreshments
- Knoebels Plinko game with Knoebels prizes (with donation to Give Kids the World)
- Live entertainment by the "Koaster Kats"
- PPP shirt sales so you can skip the line on Saturday

Phoenix Phall Phunfest Saturday Events (October 7):
- 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Covered Bridge Festival
- 11:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. Rides Open
- noon - 4:00 p.m. Souvenir Swap Meet at Phoenix Courtyard
- 7:00 p.m. - Costume Parade registration at Food Court
- 8:00 p.m. - Costume Parade (prizes awarded)
- 10:30 p.m. - Rally & Bonfire at Campground

Phunfest Coupon Packs are provided to approved enthusiast club members only (does not include guest) who purchase any of our Saturday Ride Plans. Coupon Pack includes: 2 Slices of Cesari's Pizza, Drink, Game Ticket & Haunted Mansion Ticket). Pre-registration not required.

We hope to see you in October (or sooner)!

Those of you planning to go to PPP 2017 -- and specifically, the Phriday night PPPreview Party (which you should be, it's going to be fkn amazing!!) -- may also be interest to know that the very kind folks over at the Elysburg Haunted House ( https://www.facebook.com/ElysburgHauntedHouse ) have offered Friday Knoebels attendees the special priviledge of a PREVIEW HAUNT night (somewhat in conjunction with the Knoebel event).

It will also be held on Friday, October 6th, from 9 - 10 PM-ish** They note the closing is not a hard/fast time, and they they will stay open if there are large crowds of attendees -- they want EVERYONE to go through their amazing house!!!

So yeah -- FYI if you're planning on attending PPP 2017, and specifically Knoebels Friday Night soiree, that one of the BEST Haunted Houses in all of America will be open for Enthusiasts and their Guests late on that Friday night as well. The house is AWESOME and it's an opportunity you'd be well served in seizing!!!!!
:b

OMG I so want to go - but it just isn't in the cards this year. I've always wanted to attend this event! Looking forward to pictures

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby JT325 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:34 am

^OMG I want to go too! It wasn't in my cards this year, either... but I'm planning for it just in case! Registered and requested the days off work! I usually leave Chicago on Thursday and then leave to come home on Monday. I would stay longer if the park were open longer!
#CPFrontierLift2019

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!