TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

If Movies could do it... so could games?

Video games, a form of entertainment that has been around since the late 1960's and has since then, boomed with many stars and became household names such as SEGA, Nintendo, Playstation, Crash Bandicoot, Grand Theft Auto, Mario Bros., and Sonic. Surprised that video games have yet to mark a major attraction at a theme park.

But for years, movies and music have been the dominant theme for rides. Six Flags had rights to WB movies and licences. Universal and Disney at approximately the same time opened the movie theme park concept. Then of course, Paramount has its own chain of theme parks with movie themed rides.

But, why haven't we seen a major video game themed ride catch on as a trend in the amusement industry. Surely, theres Tomb Raider rides at PKD and PKI, but they lean toward the movies and not the games. Six Flags over Texas, back in the mid 1980's (when the SF chain was under ownership of Bally), had a Pac-Man themed kids area. But Pac Man was a fad back in the 80's, so that quickly diminished, but today he is a well-known gaming icon.

But now on to 2005, no parks are really investing into building a video game ride, themed area, or park in America or Britain. Sure, SEGA built SEGA Joyopolis in Jap-land and was once a sponsor inside Innoventions at EPCOT and Disneyland Cali, and that infamous short lived "Poke Park" in Japan as well. And that small little Sonic room in AT's defunct Toyland Tours ride.

So now, heres my rant, why haven't game companies tried the unique way of advertising on rides or encountering a park chain to build them a theme area as a joint-venture advertisement?

I always pictured Nintendo teaming up with Six Flags or Paramount and building an area with rides such as a Zelda themed dark ride, racing Mario and Luigi themed wooden coasters called "Mario and Luigi: Superstar Coaster", a Donkey Kong themed wild mouse, and other Ninty themed rides. As well, I always saw another park chain getting the rights to use Sonic the Hedgehog and building a mega-looping coaster themed after Green Hill Zone.

But I am surprised, every year we get a "Superman: Ultimate Escapade" ride instead of something virtual. Under SF's new ownership by Red Zone, one of the plans include an XBOX themed area. Sure, it may see some fruition to my idea of a video game area, but the XBOX console isn't really that family friendly. Sure, you'll probably like it if your a gamer like me and want to ride "Master Chief: The Ride" or "Perfect Dark Zero: The Ride". Then again, Universal has PG-13 attractions such as Terminator 2: 3D.

I am still waiting for the day a Nintendo themed area pops up and the gaming trend catches on and eventually leads to a full-fleged game themed theme park. Chances are, that would be done by EA .

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to remember that videos games really are a MUCH younger industry than movies. Really, video games in the "home" has only been around since the late 70s/early 80s and video games as an "established entertainment platform" has only been around since the mid 1990s.

Yes, there ARE some characters that would be recognizable for theme parks, Mario, Zelda, etc, and I see no reason why a park shouldn't do a deal with those companies, I just think it might take more time.

Superman, Batman, etc are properties that have been around for a VERY long time and have established themselves over several entertainment platforms: comic books, television, movies, games, etc.

I think a lot has to do with how a video game license would "lend itself to an amusement park attraction." And almost all the examples that you noted of video games becoming attractions, have been failures.

So I'm sure a lot of that goes into the reasoning of why you don't see many video game based theme park rides. Parks like to go with a low-risk "sure thing." Of course, they aren't always right, but you really can't go wrong with "Batman" or "Superman" as those licenses seem to resinate with all ages.

I too can think of a number of video games that would make great rides, but I can see why many parks would consider that a risky move. Personally, I was shocked to see the Tomb Raider ride being that it was built when Tomb Raider was becoming less popular.

--Robb "I'd love to see a Halo based dark ride!" Alvey

Ride ideas I can think of for a VG park would be:

Kirby suspended kiddie coaster, Kirby's Nightmare

Mario Karts

Mario Pipeline (Water slides)

Tetris Drop (Giant Drop/Rotodrop)

Donkey Kong "Mine Cart Carnage" (Mine Train/Terrain)

F-Zero themed launched coaster

Pac-Maze (Mouse coaster)

Sonic looping coaster

Metroid 3D simulator/dark ride

Maybe I'll start (again) a VG-Land RCT3 park...that's a great idea.

^About the chocolate themed log ride. If anyplace has the rights to make this happen it would be Hershy Park!!

They can make it so you ride around in a giant hershy bar and dye the water a chocolaty brown!!

Ya know what would be awesome!! A ferris wheel themed around KATAMARI DAMACI!! Each car being a different object that you can pick up in the game. Also on the ferris wheel itself have objects stuck to it on either side so it looks like a katamari thats rolling!!!!

But now on to 2005, no parks are really investing into building a video game ride, themed area, or park in America or Britain. Sure, SEGA built SEGA Joyopolis in Jap-land and was once a sponsor inside Innoventions at EPCOT and Disneyland Cali, and that infamous short lived "Poke Park" in Japan as well. And that small little Sonic room in AT's defunct Toyland Tours ride.

Here in Australia we used to have Sega World in Sydney. It looked like a fairly great place. It had mine themed rollercoaster as one of the main attractions. but like all Sydney theme parks it is now gone.

• 11 years later...

Another long lost post getting a reboot.

You know, that is a good question and after nearly twelve years since the last post I don't think I've seen or heard any rides or attractions that were based off a video game, but we do have a few attractions that are like playing in a video game. Toy Mania at Disney California Adventures comes to mind, so does the Guardian at Canada's Wonderland, Men in Black at Universal, Ghostwood Estate at Kennywood, and all the other "shoot targets with your blasters" dark rides out there. Then there was a season at Six Flags America that offered the Nintendo Wii experience.

That's all I can think of, so what do anyone else think?

You know, that is a good question and after nearly twelve years since the last post I don't think I've seen or heard any rides or attractions that were based off a video game, but we do have a few attractions that are like playing in a video game. Toy Mania at Disney California Adventures comes to mind, so does the Guardian at Canada's Wonderland, Men in Black at Universal, Ghostwood Estate at Kennywood, and all the other "shoot targets with your blasters" dark rides out there. Then there was a season at Six Flags America that offered the Nintendo Wii experience.

This?

And this?

And this.

Although, 12 years later there are only a handful of video game-themed rides compared to the many movie-themed rides. I don't play video games but I've seen most of the movies that have rides based on them. I suppose movie rides appeal more to a range of public than video game rides.

If it wasn't such a graphic series, Doom would be absolutely fantastic for a ride like Justice League! The new soundtrack is super heavy and almost makes you feel invincible like Doom Guy himself! It also wouldn't work because of the general demographic it would be made for.

I'm surprised Cedar Fair hasn't partnered up with EA to make something nice to fill the old Action Theaters at Kings Island, Kings Dominion, and Canada's Wonderland. Much as I hate EA as a company, an SBNO attraction wasting space is worse for a park.