Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

P. 1195 - Supergirl (Zamperla Endeavour) announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Postby LiftThrill » Fri May 25, 2018 4:55 pm

All of SFStL's woodies were very fun to me. The Boss is possibly the roughest wooden coaster I've been on, but unlike some rides the roughness didn't detract at all. It made it a very characteristic ride and very unique with a fantastic setting. I wouldn't want to marathon it, but I'd ride it multiple times in a day for sure. American Thunder is a very fun and rerideable, haven't been on many GCIs but I'd say it feels like the "default" GCI coaster and that's not a bad thing. Screamin' Eagle is my comparison point for every coaster's floater airtime and like The Boss has an amazing setting. Honestly, the woodies and Mr. Freeze make for one of the more fun coaster collections out there. I only got to spend three hours when I went and honestly I'd love to go back.
1. Fury 325 | 2. Millennium Force | 3. New Texas Giant | 4. Outlaw Run | 5. Maverick | 6. Twisted Cyclone | 7. Iron Rattler | 8. The Voyage | 9. Goliath (SFGAm) | 10. Time Traveler

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri May 25, 2018 7:23 pm

Glad you enjoyed Eagle. It really is great. The 42" minimum makes it all the more awesome.

As for the Boss, I think a lot of people confuse roughness for intensity. The Boss in its current state is intense, but aside from a couple of turnarounds, it's not actually rough. It used to be rough all over, but all the new track has fixed that problem. It remains intense like the Voyage is, and is polarizing for that reason.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby HARLEYGUYJB » Fri May 25, 2018 7:38 pm

I was at the park on Tuesday and it was closed as well. Both times I have been to the park this year, it has been closed. Not sure why???

Canobie Coaster wrote:Some pieces for their new water slide are still sitting in the parking lot, so it looks like it wasn't quite ready in time for Memorial Day weekend.

Also has Justice League been closed recently? Everything was closed due to weather when I arrived. I thought it was odd their indoor ride would be closed too.

Postby LiftThrill » Fri May 25, 2018 9:39 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Glad you enjoyed Eagle. It really is great. The 42" minimum makes it all the more awesome.

As for the Boss, I think a lot of people confuse roughness for intensity. The Boss in its current state is intense, but aside from a couple of turnarounds, it's not actually rough. It used to be rough all over, but all the new track has fixed that problem. It remains intense like the Voyage is, and is polarizing for that reason.

I rode Boss when it was VERY rough, and Voyage when it was relatively smooth. I don't know if Boss has been extensively retracked since I rode it, but it jackhammered and jolted all over the place. I was holding onto the grab bar on the train and I got weird hand pain from riding it.

It didn't detract for me, but if it's smoother that's not a bad thing either.
1. Fury 325 | 2. Millennium Force | 3. New Texas Giant | 4. Outlaw Run | 5. Maverick | 6. Twisted Cyclone | 7. Iron Rattler | 8. The Voyage | 9. Goliath (SFGAm) | 10. Time Traveler

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Ed Farmer » Fri May 25, 2018 9:51 pm

It's been two years since I last rode Boss- it's still one of my favorite wooden coasters. I probably won't get back down to the park until a legitimate new coaster goes in, but I'm curious to see how it rides nowadays.
"Next, we are going to solicit the children of strangers so that we can go on a ride designed for children. This is so I can post online and impress other people who are very good at procuring unfamiliar children in order to go on rides designed for children, and thus have a higher arbitrary number than me."

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri May 25, 2018 10:20 pm

On the low to the ground turns in the woods, the train was shuffling but I can take it in short spurts. It's the worst of the worst that manage to sustain the jackhammering the whole way through.

If you want an example of that, ride Clementon's Hellcat in the back. Or don't since that would mean you aren't at Clementon (and I actually don't even know if Hellcat reopened after that piece of steel fell into the queue last year).

HARLEYGUYJB wrote:I was at the park on Tuesday and it was closed as well. Both times I have been to the park this year, it has been closed. Not sure why???

Wonder what's up with Justice League. The only problem I've gotten is a broken gun here and there on the others.

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Glad you enjoyed Eagle. It really is great. The 42" minimum makes it all the more awesome.

I would have loved to have been able to ride that before I hit the magic 48" mark. Instead, I just had galaxis to entertain me.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

Postby Philrad71 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:29 am

LiftThrill wrote:

I rode Boss when it was VERY rough, and Voyage when it was relatively smooth. I don't know if Boss has been extensively retracked since I rode it, but it jackhammered and jolted all over the place. I was holding onto the grab bar on the train and I got weird hand pain from riding it.

It didn't detract for me, but if it's smoother that's not a bad thing either.

I must have just ridden in one of those jackhammering/jolty seats (or train?) because that is all this coaster did to me after the first drop into the final re-tracked area.

When I think of intense wooden coasters, I think of El Toro, Boulder Dash, The Beast (night/front seat) and Ravine Flyer 2. And while BD was a little rougher the last time that I was there, it was still nothing like beat-down that The Boss put on me.

I really wish that I had waited it out the front row now, but they were only running one train and it was one of the longer waits in the park on the day that we visited. Maybe next time! ;)

Agree with Canobie Coaster and others that Screamin' Eagle is a great classic coaster - I enjoyed my front seat ride. It reminded me a little bit of Hoosier Hurricane, which I found to be the best coaster at Indiana Beach besides the complete, off the wall weirdness that is Lost Coaster Of Superstition Mountain. :lol:

Postby LiftThrill » Sat May 26, 2018 9:39 am

Roughness is such a weird property. It hurt Thunderhead for me despite only being a little rougher than it felt it should be, but it added to The Boss despite being in some pain afterwards. And I didn't feel any roughness on Voyage or Beast. Probably depends on when and where you ride things.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat May 26, 2018 10:17 am

^ I ended up preferring the Boss in (2nd to) back. I didn't notice it any smoother or rougher between those two seats so I'll take the added air on the drops. I just made sure to avoid wheel seats.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

Postby LiftThrill » Sat May 26, 2018 10:55 am

I wish I had gotten a second ride in near the back. That first drop + double down would be really fun to experience further back and I really can't see how it could get much rougher, ha. It has a great layout and setting. I'd imagine it gives fabulous night rides.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!