TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Agreed... My guess all new development will happen on the East Side of the Park, Tidal Wave and down toward Hurricane Harbor.

I don't think there will ever be any new development in that area beyond Tidal Wave. It seems like a lot of our additions are really geared toward replacements, which suits the park fine. Best case scenario, Tidal Wave will be replaced with a decent flat or a small family roller coaster.

So Freeze is using something like $100 of electricity every day?

Way more than that. I haven't heard what it is in the past few years, but about 5 or 6 years ago, it was something like $2 per cycle. So if it runs an average of 30 cycles per hour, thats $60 just per hour. Times that by an average 10 hour day, thats $600 for one day. Remember, that was the price years ago, so its much higher now. But I do remember being told that Freeze usually racked up a bill of over $1,000 a day.

Agreed... My guess all new development will happen on the East Side of the Park, Tidal Wave and down toward Hurricane Harbor.

I don't think there will ever be any new development in that area beyond Tidal Wave. It seems like a lot of our additions are really geared toward replacements, which suits the park fine. Best case scenario, Tidal Wave will be replaced with a decent flat or a small family roller coaster.

I don’t really feel like the trend is towards largely replacements. The previous 10 years saw two new rides in the waterpark, a coaster that didn’t replace a ride, a coaster that moved in to an area that previously moved (and that area moved in to an empty area itself) so it was new, Spinsanity that is new, Tsunami Soaker that replaced a SBNO of 8 years so I don’t fully consider that a replacement, Boomerang replaced the bumper cars so maybe a bit of a replacement here. Fireball, Justice League and Skyscreamer are the full replacements. Typhoon Twister is the first replacement ride to go in to the waterpark and it is replacing a slide tower that needed TLC or replacement.

This seems to work out to about half new and half replacements on the main park additions. Pretty good ratio IMO.

So Freeze is using something like $100 of electricity every day?

Way more than that. I haven't heard what it is in the past few years, but about 5 or 6 years ago, it was something like $2 per cycle. So if it runs an average of 30 cycles per hour, thats $60 just per hour. Times that by an average 10 hour day, thats $600 for one day. Remember, that was the price years ago, so its much higher now. But I do remember being told that Freeze usually racked up a bill of over $1,000 a day.

Ahh, had a decimal in the wrong place.

I'm glad they operate Freeze as they do because that cost doesn't even account maintenance or labor. It is a big draw to the park though, even though many visitors are pass holders.

That is what I suspected about the power grid. I didn't want to elaborate too far as I've never worked at the park and don't know many specifics about the grid, so I was leaving that up to someone like you TNT. I really appreciate your input! That was interesting to read.

I doubt we will see any development on that strip as development over there would require installing utilities and building infrastructure, which I've once been told by Director of Rides once that it would just not be reasonable.

I don’t really feel like the trend is towards largely replacements. The previous 10 years saw two new rides in the waterpark, a coaster that didn’t replace a ride, a coaster that moved in to an area that previously moved (and that area moved in to an empty area itself) so it was new, Spinsanity that is new, Tsunami Soaker that replaced a SBNO of 8 years so I don’t fully consider that a replacement, Boomerang replaced the bumper cars so maybe a bit of a replacement here. Fireball, Justice League and Skyscreamer are the full replacements. Typhoon Twister is the first replacement ride to go in to the waterpark and it is replacing a slide tower that needed TLC or replacement.

I should have specified, but I was mostly talking about the dry park, since I usually forget the water park even exists. Unless I'm missing something, that accounts for two years of new rides out of 10 years of replacement or general upgrades and improvements. I still think Tsunami Soaker could go either way, since it replaced a tired area and an old SBNO ride.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good thing. I know Spinsanity livened up a dead area and I'm surprised they went with an all new addition without taking something out. Still, next year something will likely be done with the Highland Fling location, which will be yet another replacement. If Excalibur takes a crap, that void will also have to be filled. Either way, my main point was that even if Tidal Wave is eventually replaced I don't see them expanding further in that area.

Yeah, I agree that the park isn't looking to expand. If they add a new area, that's more rides and more shops, which means more staff and more expense. I'm not sure a new area would really bring in more people than replacing an existing ride would, so they're smart to keep refreshing areas like they have been. The park is getting better all the time. It's not yet its 90s heyday, but it's getting closer to that.

We are looking for someone to attend the "Batman Backwards" media event for TPR on Thursday, March 22, from 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon. If you are interested please email robbalvey@themeparkreview.com ASAP with the following information:

- Your full Name

- Your age

- Email Address

- TPR Screen Name

- Links to your socials (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc)

We will need someone to take photos & video and post a trip report to the forum. This should be a really fun, exciting opportunity!

Again, please email ASAP if you'd like to attend.

Do any of our "in the know" park employees know whether or not Boomerang will be up and running on opening weekend? I know it does not receive much love on this forum but it is one of my kids' favorites. It seemed to be down most of last year (at least when we were there) and I think we only road it once.

thanks.

Mike

Thanks TNT. I think most of our visits must have been during that down time, and then it was not running the one time we made it to Frightfest.

Mike

I have a bizarre streak going where I have not been able to ride Mr. Freeze in two years. It's not even that it's been closed for the entire day when I'm there, just when I decide to ride it. Closest I got was last season when I was to be in the next train...when they had a train not make it all the way back to station and had to close the ride. It's pretty comical at this point. I'm kryptonite for that ride. I show up, shit goes south.

Do any of our "in the know" park employees know whether or not Boomerang will be up and running on opening weekend? I know it does not receive much love on this forum but it is one of my kids' favorites. It seemed to be down most of last year (at least when we were there) and I think we only road it once.

thanks.

Mike

You must have had some bad luck last year, outside of a couple month period of downtime the ride ran reliably. Boomerang closed in November for rehab so it should be ready to run opening weekend barring unforseen circumstances.

I must have the same luck. I've only ever seen Boomerang cycle one time and it was the train I was on for my first ever one and done ride.

The post did a Six Flags article today talking about rides from years gone by. I've seen most of these in this thread before but nonetheless - http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/arts-and-theatre/hotlist/jet-scream-momo-the-monster-mule-go-round-and-more/collection_24261912-63ba-5312-94d2-045d643af7b0.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=dlvr

The legendary Mule-Go-Round makes an appearance!

My Dad was moved to Mo. from Georgia in 69. We saw the park as dirt, pasture and trees when we arrived. I worked in Maintenance from 73 through 79. I loved the old park. Randal Duell's design was spot on. I don't know what Park it is today. Kind of a Hodge-Podge of slightly themed attractions I suppose. Here are some random memories- enjoy or hate as you prefer:

The Parks entry was originally labeled as "Laclede's landing".

MY Dad oversaw the construction of the fountain on the Park side of the entrance- it has a statue of a Cherub. The Cherub statue came as God intended. Such public display of male anatomy was not allowed at SF. A custom Fig Leaf with grapes was created to cover his indiscretion...I always chuckled every time I walked by ...

I greased or "Lubed" rides- every morning from 73 to 76. I remember them well. After you grease a ride you must "Run-in the grease". I lubed Mo-Mo and about the time I was finished the Ride Forman arrived. I had her run the ride but I wanted to ride so i climbed in and she cranked it up- backwards- then left to go get ice and water with the cooler. She came back in 10 minutes..... never again- i was sick all day....

To lube some rides you had to crawl under- "Rotor" or "Tom's Twister" was NOT the ride you wanted to crawl under... it was called the "VOBAN" King for a reason!

Pet-a-Pet had Llamas... Adult Male Llama's can get quite "aggressive" with female guests and Hostesses......

Ghost boats on the Log Flume were no fun.....

Every closet and storage shed needed to be locked because if you did not.... let's say that when you have a Park full of 16 to 21 year old Males and Females there is a premium on places to be alone...

I helped build the Triceratops in the picture one winter....76 to 79 I worked in Animation.

Park "After" parties were fun....free food and rides. Once Guests left all bets were off! good times- good times... I lubed both trains about 3 times a week and got to drive them around a couple of times....

Good memories..

My Dad was moved to Mo. from Georgia in 69. We saw the park as dirt, pasture and trees when we arrived. I worked in Maintenance from 73 through 79. I loved the old park. Randal Duell's design was spot on. I don't know what Park it is today. Kind of a Hodge-Podge of slightly themed attractions I suppose. Here are some random memories- enjoy or hate as you prefer:

The Parks entry was originally labeled as "Laclede's landing".

MY Dad oversaw the construction of the fountain on the Park side of the entrance- it has a statue of a Cherub. The Cherub statue came as God intended. Such public display of male anatomy was not allowed at SF. A custom Fig Leaf with grapes was created to cover his indiscretion...I always chuckled every time I walked by ...

I greased or "Lubed" rides- every morning from 73 to 76. I remember them well. After you grease a ride you must "Run-in the grease". I lubed Mo-Mo and about the time I was finished the Ride Forman arrived. I had her run the ride but I wanted to ride so i climbed in and she cranked it up- backwards- then left to go get ice and water with the cooler. She came back in 10 minutes..... never again- i was sick all day....

To lube some rides you had to crawl under- "Rotor" or "Tom's Twister" was NOT the ride you wanted to crawl under... it was called the "VOBAN" King for a reason!

Pet-a-Pet had Llamas... Adult Male Llama's can get quite "aggressive" with female guests and Hostesses......

Ghost boats on the Log Flume were no fun.....

Every closet and storage shed needed to be locked because if you did not.... let's say that when you have a Park full of 16 to 21 year old Males and Females there is a premium on places to be alone...

I helped build the Triceratops in the picture one winter....76 to 79 I worked in Animation.

Park "After" parties were fun....free food and rides. Once Guests left all bets were off! good times- good times... I lubed both trains about 3 times a week and got to drive them around a couple of times....

Good memories..

Thanks for the stories!

So, I wonder if the "improved" Boss will be in action this weekend? It's looking pretty chilly.