TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

It was reported at the ACE South Central Winterfest that the Huss Troika is indeed being removed from SFOT. It's not known yet if the ride is being sent to another park, but it's already in the process of being dismantled.

Edited by Sportsdude360

I actually wouldn't mind a Troika but I doubt that'd be a 2018 late addition. Would moving it be cheap enough to add it and another ride in 2019?

As for the Boss isn't it more likely they're redoing the element from the footers on up rather than removing it entirely? AFAIL know there were never any survey flags out there.

As for the Boss isn't it more likely they're redoing the element from the footers on up rather than removing it entirely? AFAIL know there were never any survey flags out there.

Wouldn't need survey flags if existing footers are being used and the new element remains within the pre-existing footprint.

I haven't heard anything about what will replace it, but I would guess that it will be the first 180 degrees of the original helix followed by the double up into the brake run.

True, true. Although maybe raising the height and playing with banking could reduce forces and make an interesting element?

Not sure the footers would support such a tweak. Even just removing the full helix will help reduce the forces you feel, but it'd still be quite a turn at the current banking and low height.

Would this drop the ride out of the top ten longest woodies? Doubt anyone would care if it rode better but hey, I'm a geek

Would this drop the ride out of the top ten longest woodies? Doubt anyone would care if it rode better but hey, I'm a geek

I was wondering the same thing, lol. If I had to guess (this is purely speculation) the ride would at the most lose 100 ft. It might be a bit more than that but surely not much. Which would drop the length to 4,951 ft. Boss is currently the 7th longest woodie at 5,051ft. and the 8th longest is 4,817 ft. So I think Boss will still be sitting comfortably at number seven for at least a few more years.

As to tweaking the profile to be more exciting, I'm not sure how well the trains would take something like an over bank turn or a hill in the middle of a turn. That just sounds like something else for those trains to ruin.

A proper overbank shouldn't be too strenuous. I think these trains have already been used on in a hill in a turn too but I can't remember the layouts of the two other Gerstlauer-equipped rides I've been on well enough to cite it.

Edit: It appears another woodie in Missouri is getting an iverbank in place of a helix this year already.

http://coasterforce.com/forums/threads/worlds-of-fun-announces-2018-overbank-addition-for-timber-wolf.42167/

Edited by Danrarbc

I was wondering the same thing, lol. If I had to guess (this is purely speculation) the ride would at the most lose 100 ft. It might be a bit more than that but surely not much. Which would drop the length to 4,951 ft. Boss is currently the 7th longest woodie at 5,051ft. and the 8th longest is 4,817 ft. So I think Boss will still be sitting comfortably at number seven for at least a few more years.

As to tweaking the profile to be more exciting, I'm not sure how well the trains would take something like an over bank turn or a hill in the middle of a turn. That just sounds like something else for those trains to ruin.

A proper overbank shouldn't be too strenuous. I think these trains have already been used on in a hill in a turn too but I can't remember the layouts of the two other Gerstlauer-equipped rides I've been on well enough to cite it.

Is this just a rumor? ...removing the dbl helix.

Is this just a rumor? ...removing the dbl helix.

Certainly. I even suggested this is just a ground up retrack.

I’m a fan of Boss’s helix, so I hope it’s just a rumor. A key difference between Timberwolf and Boss is that Timberwolf’s helix was rough and boring while Boss’s is rough and fun. I know fun is definitely an opinion, but it’s still a crazy, intense, and memorable way to end the ride. I don’t think a simple turnaround would have the same impact.

Any pics of the construction? it would just be cool to see that's all, no speculation from them

I once had a buddy who would visit the forums frequently and often drive around the park taking pictures. He used to do this on a pretty regular basis until we chased him away with our negativity.

...On good days when the temperature was just right, the wind blew in from the right direction,

Venus was in retrograde, and the Pope had a bagel for breakfast, it was the perfect finale.

Well put.

OK, I have a definitive answer on the Boss. I followed the simplest possible method: I asked Six Flags on their Facebook page about the helix and got the following reply:

"During the annual winter rehab on our rides, The Boss was modified by removing 420-feet of track from the helix to improve the rider experience on that section of the wooden coaster."

I asked what was there now and the reply was "It will still have a 180° banked turn in that section."

So there it is.

OK, I have a definitive answer on the Boss. I followed the simplest possible method: I asked Six Flags on their Facebook page about the helix and got the following reply:

"During the annual winter rehab on our rides, The Boss was modified by removing 420-feet of track from the helix to improve the rider experience on that section of the wooden coaster."

I asked what was there now and the reply was "It will still have a 180° banked turn in that section."

So there it is.

Thanks for the Info... a shame they had to neuter The Boss. Most Wooden Coasters get neutered in way way or another as time goes by.

I'm not a fan of them removing the helix, although it appears to be a done deal now, it was a unique feature, kind of a shame to alter the original design. I never thought it was too intense but opinions differ; although it didn't seem to hurt the popularity of the ride.

The helix was one of my favorite parts of the ride.

I haven't been on the RMC train for The Boss, but I am starting to see the value now. The helix probably wouldn't have made it into an RMC conversion anyway, so now they could just convert it, keep the drops as is, add some inversions and hops, and the helix is conveniently already gone. That's probably preferable to a watered-down woodie, although I'll give the replacement turn a chance, I suppose. Bummer decision.

Hopefully they'll have it ready to go by Memorial Day weekend when I visit the park. I know it's not the most acclaimed wooden coaster out there, but it still looks like a unique ride.

SFNE put some track work into Cyclone a year or two before eventually RMCing it, so a conversion could still be in the cards down the road.