TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

^Well, all I can tell you is that, most of the time, these new attractions will open on or near Memorial Day. A Disk'o could be ready to go tomorrow if the park wanted. Here at SFOT, the word we have on Joker is late Spring. The ride itself is completed and water dummies are already seated in the trains awaiting testing. So, Joker is on target for it's late Spring opening, Spinsanity probably is as well.

Is there a reason they wait until Memorial Day to open the ride and not opening day?

SFOT has pretty much always done this. I suppose it gives them time to finish the theming, landscaping ect. As well as test the ride. It could also be a maketing gimmick to get people to come back to the park once the new ride opens. Not all parks do this, of course. SFSTL will likely open Spinsanity sometime in May.

My wife works for Edward Jones and I'm excited that for their Founder's Day celebration (aka a massive company picnic style event) they've decided to rent out the entire park again for a half Saturday this September, as they did last fall. They've always bounced their FD event around from location to location (aka Grant's Farm, the Zoo, places like that) but it was such a hit last year that all the employees begged management to keep it at SFSL so they are doing it again. It was a lot of fun last year having zero lines for anything on a fall Saturday afternoon

Was bored last night and spent a minute going through the early parts of this thread reading about the reaction to Evel Knieval (American Thunder) and it was pretty interesting. Really cool seeing pictures of the construction. If only this forum went back to when the Boss was announced! I was in high school then and didn't really pay attention to any kind of theme park news, but for those that did how was it received?

I can only imagine what it would be like nowadays if they announced a project on the scale of that.

I can only imagine what it would be like nowadays if they announced a project on the scale of that.

In a perfect world, 2 or 3 years from now SFStL will announce an RMC conversion for Boss.

Just imagine what RMC could do if they ever got their hands on that beast of a structure.

Then all of our heads can explode all over again.

Edited by Steely Dan

Thanks for the link, interesting to see, especially those drawings. Does anyone know the story behind the name, if there is a worthwhile one? It's a bit bland I suppose, but I'm a fan of it having something original versus a superhero or other notable figure tie in. For better or worse, the Boss is the Boss.

Ok, this quote from that page had me LOL for real - "Here's a bit of the lift structure taken from Allentown Road. According to Denise Dinn-Larrick of CCI at the Legend walk back they had to redesign the ride several times because city of Eureka did not want the lift near the road. It seems that they are paranoid that the park will close (this is Six Flags we're talking about!) and the coaster will fall over onto the road that boarders the park."

DAFUQ?

Ok, this quote from that page had me LOL for real - "Here's a bit of the lift structure taken from Allentown Road. According to Denise Dinn-Larrick of CCI at the Legend walk back they had to redesign the ride several times because city of Eureka did not want the lift near the road. It seems that they are paranoid that the park will close (this is Six Flags we're talking about!) and the coaster will fall over onto the road that boarders the park."

DAFUQ?

Yes, the quote is real. Actually, she told me directly "seven times" that the original plans had to be redrawn. This was told to me during an offseason event at Holiday World.

Because I'm old, I remember the hype surrounding the ride. Honestly, it was relatively low key, but this was the year that CCI opened multiple rides (was it 7 that year?) and so attention with enthusiasts was all over the map. Once the Boss opened, it was given "meh" reviews - due mainly to the majority of out of town enthusiasts hitting the ride early in the year after a Holiday World event, and it just wasn't yet running up to speed. Later in the year, the ride found it's grove more or less, but opinions had been solidified. CCI took a ton of heat that year with construction quality issues, blander than normal rides, etc. They were definitely stretched too thin...

I was at Media Day with the Screaming Eagle PTC train, but due to the seat divider I was given the largest coaster bruise I've ever seen

Over the years, the Boss has really grown on me, and I appreciate it for what it is, and what it isn't. I adore RMC rides, but I really hope that they simply keep it in decent running order like it is now. Considering that Six Flags was not known for wooden coaster maintenance, we really cannot complain about that here. It should be noted that a ride the size of Boss, not having major reprofiling done is a rarity - especially for Six Flags. That it remains mostly intact from the original design is something to be celebrated - to me anyway

Edited by jrkstl

I was at Media Day with the Screaming Eagle PTC train, but due to the seat divider I was given the largest coaster bruise I've ever seen

Over the years, the Boss as really grown on me, and I appreciate it for what it is, and what it isn't. I adore RMC rides, but I really hope that they simply keep it in decent running order like it is now. Considering that Six Flags was not known for wooden coaster maintenance, we really cannot complain about that here. It should be noted that a ride the size of Boss, not having major reprofiling done is a rarity - especially for Six Flags. That it remains mostly intact from the original design is something to be celebrated - to me anyway

I remember reading at the time that they used the PTC trains because the trains that were actually for the ride were too light and they were having trouble getting them to complete the circuit. The heavier PTC trains had the momentum to make it around and provided a sort of "smoothing effect" as they are heavier and (I'm guessing here) don't transmit the imperfections of the construction/track as readily as the lighter trains. I believe I remember seeing that it was giving smooth rides overall with the PTCs.

I'm just curious as to your experience with the PTC trains on media day.

As for the ride itself, I too hope they leave it as is. It's a little rough but I greatly enjoy the intensity of it, just as long as they keep it running in decent shape.

In my opinion, the Boss is a far better ride in the Gerstlauer trains than it was with the PTCs.

Obviously, it wasn't really "broken in" for Media Day, and they made it through the ride just fine. Perhaps if a set of brand new PTCs were added, I'd be okay with them. Keep in mind that I'm not a fan at all of the horrid headrests on the Eagle PTC, and for whatever reason, the seats seem deeper than normal. Also, I cannot stand (for long) how the Eagle trains make me feel like I'm sitting nearly sideways, due to the way the lapbar hits my legs. YMMV

Was bored last night and spent a minute going through the early parts of this thread reading about the reaction to Evel Knieval (American Thunder) and it was pretty interesting. Really cool seeing pictures of the construction. If only this forum went back to when the Boss was announced! I was in high school then and didn't really pay attention to any kind of theme park news, but for those that did how was it received?

People were certainly aware and excited, but when every CCI that year but Boulder Dash opened with Gerstlauer trains, the excitement quickly wore off and was replaced with disappointment. I still think that while Boss technically "tracks well", the G-trains are such lousy POSes that it is unrideable to me. And that's too bad, because CCI/TGG designs are traditionally my favorite by some margin.

I'll get over there and take a couple. As an aside, sadly it seems as though they have reprofiled and neutered the double down on The Boss. Appears to be fresh track from before the double down to the base of the second hill. Anyone else feel that way?

I'll have to get a better overview shot.

Pandamonium's new paint looks good. The new POS terminals are also nice to have. Are the yellow sports bottles really only for dining pass members though? That really sucks.

I'm a little surprised Screamin' Eagle is reduced capacity right now.

So is the queue for the Chevy Show building what is going to be the queue for Spinsanity?

It appears that will be the plan. Not sure what this will mean for the Blackout haunted house, not a lot of room to allow a line to exist only in the Midway.