TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

As far as I know Mr. Freeze is closed for the season. It showed closed for season earlier in the week and and it still shows closed for the season, on the app. I believe they are updating the website because it now shows both Harley Quinn rides on the ride list, with one of them as "not open yet". Everything else is up and running except the water rides, Oil Derrick and Freeze. Great bonus this year with Batman and Joker open.

The last day of the season is January 7th. Opening weekend for 2018 is February 24th-25th.

Went on 12/01 and just about every major ride was walk on. It was great.

12/02 got there when it opened at noon and walked on all major rides except RR, it was down. Around 3 the place was getting packed with families so left.

12/03 got there at 415 (opened at 4) and had to park in the back lot. About a 10-15 min wait for most major rides early in the evening except Giant, that was about 25 min. RR was, once again, down but had just started letting riders in when we walked up so jumped on the first go round. Got packed around 7.

Going tonight and expect it to be dead since the weather here is cold now. I haven't been on any rides in this cold of weather, should be interesting.

Woo lawd y'all, it was not a good night at Six Flags 12/8. The park wasnt busy, but almost every major ride was having technical difficulties. RR wasn't running, then they were testing it, let us in, then stopped mid cycle after one more test and that was all she wrote. Done for the night Next!

Supe was fine. Walk on.

SW was walk on, got up to get on the next train, tech diff. Next!

Giant walk on, sit in back car, starts to roll then stops. Yup, tech diff. Sat in the train for about 10 min while maintenance did something. Alarms went off, we looked at each other like "oh sh!t" then it rolled on with us. Stayed for a 2nd ride since nobody in line. Noticed it was very slow after the break. To the point I didn't think it was gonna make it all the way through. But hey, we got to ride something!

Titan was walk on. No one in the front car, which I've never rode bc I love the back. Then, tech diff! I swear I'm not lying. It was funny at this point. I asked the kid that was at the box why is this happening so much tonight. He told me it's the cold weather. It's 40 degrees here so not THAT cold.

Park was about to close at this point so ran to Batman and hopped on. Only 4 of us on the ride.

I've been going pretty much every Friday bc it's not busy, I live right down the street and gives me something to do. This has been the coldest night I've been. So, for people who live where it actually gets cold, do the rides there have problems like this?

I've booked a trip to SFOT December 26th, then SFFT the next day. After checking isitpacked, it seems like those days are awfully crowded.. I'm planning to get a flash pass if needed, but do you guys have any tips as to what to ride first and how to tackle the crowds? It's only open for eight hours that day, but I'm hoping with a flash pass I'll be able to ride all the major coasters.

I’ve noticed an awful lot of technical difficulties as well. There was one day where nearly everything we got in line for broke down. Giant is the #1 culprit, but it also happened with Titan and Judge a couple times. I have no idea what the problem is, though.

Airboss, sorry I can’t help you - I tend to go on Sunday nights since the park is usually empty, and as a local with a season pass, I don’t care really if I don’t get to ride much. What I can say is Texas Giant is a must-do, but it’s usually not open with the park. I would head that way and ride Titan first if Giant isn’t open. Giant is finicky and draws a crowd, so I would suggest doing it early on to ensure you get a ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've booked a trip to SFOT December 26th, then SFFT the next day. After checking isitpacked, it seems like those days are awfully crowded.. I'm planning to get a flash pass if needed, but do you guys have any tips as to what to ride first and how to tackle the crowds? It's only open for eight hours that day, but I'm hoping with a flash pass I'll be able to ride all the major coasters.

La Vibora hands down usually gets the longest line in the park due to its popularity and capacity. So if you want to rude it, hang the left from the entrance and do it first.

I've personally never have had issues with Texas Giant going down but if that is the case then that would be your next stop and then Titan. Beyond that working a clockwise loop around the park works well. The only exception off the loop is Runaway Mountain. If you haven't done a Windstorm or Hurricane model it is certainly worth your time. My experience with Joker is that it is so far back it doesn't attract much of a crowd.

I'm sure people will have more to add as well. With a Flash Pass it should be an easy going day. (Especially if you get Platinum which is the way to go.)

I visited SFOT last year on an incredibly busy day and I was able to ride everything multiple times over (more than 10 rides on Giant). A couple of points, though:

The line to buy the flash pass itself was insane. I recommend not only getting there early, but getting straight to the flash pass site and getting in line ASAP (if you think you'll need it). It's to the left of the park entrance and, on the day that I was there, the line to get in the park and the line to get a pass were extreme.

It's worth checking to see what's not included with the pass and knocking them out before the crowds hit. When I was there, Runaway Mountain and Judge Roy Scream weren't included, and the line for both was well over 90 minutes for much of the day. Runaway Mountain is really good considering it's just a Windstorm model, and Judge Roy Scream was one of my favorites in the park (I think helps to appreciate and enjoy classic designs though). If riding either one is important to you, I'd try to knock them out relatively early.

Keep an eye on opening times. I'd planned to get there an hour early to make sure that I was first in line to enter and get passes (I knew it would be a busy day). It turns out that the park opened earlier than advertised and the parking lot was already getting packed.

Last: The park layout is pretty maze-like. Even though it's not that big, the walkways are small and it's easy to get disoriented — especially over on the west side of the park by rides like La Vibora.

I don't think it will be that bad on a Tuesday, even with the school break. Get there a little before it opens and go to Gotham and hopefully Riddler's Revenge will be up and running. That line gets long quick. And, to me, is the scariest ride there right now. After that, you should be able to walk on Joker and Batman.

Now I'm gonna make you walk a lot, but it'll be worth it and you'll hit the good stuff before it gets too crowded.

Then head to Giant. The line shouldn't be long at this point. Then go Titan. After that, head to La Vibora. If it's long do single rider.

Head to Supe and knock that out, then to Shockwave which is usually walk on, even when busy.

I don't mess with Runaway Mountain. The HARD brake at the end, with the way the bar sets, hurts my boobs. Lol Plus it's kind of a weak ride.

After that just tool around and get on whatever strikes you. But you should be able to knock out the major rides with little to no wait if you get there when it opens.

Have fun!

I would plan on it being pretty busy with it being Christmas week. Definitely be there at open. Having the Flash pass should allow you to get the major rides done though. Keep in mind that New Texas Giant and Joker are only on the Platinum Flash Pass.

I would suggest going left once you enter the park and working your way clockwise through the park. Hit La Vibora first as it's capacity is horrendous. Then try and hit Ruanaway Mountain which is close by. RM is not on the Flash Pass and it can get up to 30-45 if the park is busy. Then try and hit Texas Giant (especially if you are not opting for Platinum) and Titan. The last couple of times I have been there both have had operational issues and were down at different times. If you are close by and they are running, ride them.

Shockwave is never busy and Batman has been only 15-20 minutes lately, even when the park is busy. The mine ride is not on Flash Pass either but shouldn't be more than 15 minutes. The rest of the major rides you should be good with Flash Pass. Riddler, Pandemonium and Justice League are usually your longer waits (each can easily run 30-60 minutes) but with FP you should be fine. The only other potential issue is with Joker. If you are doing Platinum you will be fine but if not Joker has been running around a 30-45 minute wait when the park is busy.

The other thing I would suggest is eating before and after you enter the park. if you have to eat in the park, try and eat at off peak times. The food service is really, really slow and you could lose 30-60 minutes just waiting for food.

Hope you have a great time and be sure to let us know what your thoughts are of your visit to both SFOT and SFFT.

I'm heading to the park on new years eve but it is gonna be very cold like below the 40's and I am curious if the coasters will run in that temp?

not knowledgeable enough about SFoT operations to say, but at Fiesta Texas yesterday, it was in the 40's, and Superman (B&M Floorless), and Poltergiest (Premier LIM launch) never opened. And when it dropped down closer to 40, they closed Goliath (B&M inverted) and Batman (S&S FreeSpin).

however, the Arrow minetrain, RMC Iron Rattler, and Vekoma Boomerang stayed open. (not sure about the spinning coaster, we were on the other side of the park from it).

so that might help?

I'm heading to the park on new years eve but it is gonna be very cold like below the 40's and I am curious if the coasters will run in that temp?

not knowledgeable enough about SFoT operations to say, but at Fiesta Texas yesterday, it was in the 40's, and Superman (B&M Floorless), and Poltergiest (Premier LIM launch) never opened. And when it dropped down closer to 40, they closed Goliath (B&M inverted) and Batman (S&S FreeSpin).

however, the Arrow minetrain, RMC Iron Rattler, and Vekoma Boomerang stayed open. (not sure about the spinning coaster, we were on the other side of the park from it).

so that might help?

I hope Over Texas keeps Shockwave, Titan and NTG opened as those 3 are the ones I'm looking forward to the most!

I was at the park on the 26th. It was completely empty, got to ride NTG 14 times in a row. Unfortunately there were only 5 coasters open, NTG, Titan, Shockwave, Batman and Runaway. Everything else was closed. However, yesterday, the 27th, I went to Fiesta Texas, and everything was closed except for Boomerang, Scream, and the kiddie rides. They said it's too cold to open anything.. It was fourty degrees! SFGAM runs rides in 25 degree weather.. I was extremely disappointed, I was looking forward to riding Iron Rattler.

I was at the park on the 26th. It was completely empty, got to ride NTAG 14 times in a row. Unfortunately there were only 5 coasters open, NTAG, Titan, Shockwave, Batman and Runaway. Everything else was closed. However, yesterday, the 27th, I went to Fiesta Texas, and everything was closed except for Boomerang, Scream, and the kiddie rides. They said it's too cold to open anything.. It was fourty degrees! SFGAM runs rides in 25 degree weather.. I was extremely disappointed, I was looking forward to riding Iron Rattler.

Outside of Mr. Freeze, I think those are the park's top coasters so that's a really good day at SFOT.

If you want to see rides running in really extreme temperatures, just take a look at the threads for Great Adventure or Six Flags New England.

They said it's too cold to open anything.. It was fourty degrees! SFGAM runs rides in 25 degree weather.. I was extremely disappointed,

I would go out on a limb and say that operating rides in sub-40 degree weather can be a different experience in different parts of the country. In NJ, it's pretty likely that the temperature is going to stay cold like that without much fluctuation. In Texas, the temperatures can widely vary even at this time of year. For example, the high in Dallas yesterday was 42. A year ago yesterday, the high was 82. Just a couple of weeks ago, we had temperatures in the 70s. Preparing and maintaining rides to operate in those swings in temperatures is a challenge.

In my experience working on rides at SFOT 20 years ago, rides didn't cooperate much once temperatures approached and dropped below 40 degrees, especially with lower wind chills. Pneumatic and hydraulic components did not function well in the colder weather.

• 3 weeks later...
I've been hearing reports that Harley Quinn Spinsanity (Huss Troika) has been removed. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm sure you checked, but it's still on the rides list on SFoT site.

(they actually list both Harley Quinn Spinsanity. the new one (noted as not yet open), as well as the Huss Troika version).

I'd suspect that they will simply rename/retheme that one (hoping for something scarecrow related, but more likely something like "Robin's tumbler" or something) rather than simply remove it, since they have the ride pad for it already there)