TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

^Well, I LOVE Shivering Timbers! And there's no doubt that it's much more palatable to a wider group of riders. However, The Voyage is another beast altogether! While ST is all about airtime, out, and back, Voyage begins with the traditional airtime hills like ST, but then dives into tunnels, and starts going bat-krunk crazy for the remainder of the ride! Both are phenomenal coasters, and rank in my Top 5 Wooden, but Voyage is #1 for me, while ST is #5. Timbers is awesome airtime fun, and a must-ride in the front, but The Voyage is just pure insanity, and riding it at night just adds to the madness!

As usual me and dilinator have completely different views lol. I rode the Voyage last year and thought they have done a horrible job on its upkeep. It was a horrible ride experience. Even with the hard trim brake.

Timbers on the other hand has been seeing some major love these last couple summers and is running smoother then ever. Timbers would be my choice over the Voyage.

So as usual, it sounds like you need to fix your views, so they stop being wrong!

Though I do actually agree that Timbers is getting better and better all the time! I haven't been on it yet this year with the latest change, but swapping out that trick track for an airtime hill can only be an improvement. Also, didn't you say you rode The Voyage later in the year? I have heard it gets worse as the season goes on. I've never ridden it later than this time of year, so I can't really comment on how "rough" it rides later in the year...

Yea I rode the Voyage in August. Awful. My kidneys have never hurt so bad. I actually had a very fun couple rides on Legend and Raven though. Me and my wife the day after Kentucky Kingdom. Its hard to top Lightning Run and Storm Chaser. Lightning run lightning bolted to my 2nd favorite coaster on earth behind Maverick!

(Just checked the time stamp on the photos and we went to KK on 7-4 and HW on 7-5)

^Well, I LOVE Shivering Timbers! And there's no doubt that it's much more palatable to a wider group of riders. However, The Voyage is another beast altogether! While ST is all about airtime, out, and back, Voyage begins with the traditional airtime hills like ST, but then dives into tunnels, and starts going bat-krunk crazy for the remainder of the ride! Both are phenomenal coasters, and rank in my Top 5 Wooden, but Voyage is #1 for me, while ST is #5. Timbers is awesome airtime fun, and a must-ride in the front, but The Voyage is just pure insanity, and riding it at night just adds to the madness!

Honestly, this is 99% of my opinion on the two as well (Voyage is my #2, behind Outlaw Run, but Shivering Timbers is also my #5--everything else I completely agree).

So I do not think that it is out of the possibility to get Knotts Boomerang and a new slide tower this off season. Neither one is a huge investment. But being able to market a new coaster and new slide tower is huge. They have been banking the last couple years. A drop floor slide complex would really compliment their water park. If we get Boom and that is all it ends up being then I hope they least connect Timbers and Thunderhawk midways.

So I do not think that it is out of the possibility to get Knotts Boomerang and a new slide tower this off season. Neither one is a huge investment. But being able to market a new coaster and new slide tower is huge. They have been banking the last couple years. A drop floor slide complex would really compliment their water park. If we get Boom and that is all it ends up being then I hope they least connect Timbers and Thunderhawk midways.

When the Boomerang rumor was first brought up a couple years back I was repulsed by it. But now I don't care. The park just needs SOMETHING "new". I also hope Wolverine Wildcat gets a full re-tracking/re-profiling at some point. I adore the layout and it has so much potential for decent airtime and forces that aren't painful.

I LOVED ST in the front seat, but the 2nd time in the back wasn't quite as good. Voyage (as many of you know) was brutal for us a few years ago in the mid to upper part of the train. I see it as a challenge to go back to try the front seat - preferably at night.

I'd also LOVE to try ST in the front seat at night - particularly after visiting Founders for a little while during the day!

Voyage gets better the closer you are to the front seat. I don't know why, but the very front seat is significantly better than any other row. Even the second row just isn't the same. It isn't like Mean Streak was, where you can only ride it in the front row, but there is a big difference. I love it, and I'll ride it pretty much anywhere in the front half, but I can totally see your point, as just individual differences can produce different effects. I even have to stop after a couple rides in a row to just sit down, get some water, and shake it off before going back for more. It's almost too much coaster.

Shivering Timbers, on the other hand, stops well short of that. I loved it pretty much everywhere in the train. It's big and fast, but not as big or as fast as Voyage, and that made it much more pleasant for re-riding again and again. To that end, it's a better ride than Voyage is. It's certainly far more accessible. Each has its strengths, and Voyage has the kicker of being in a park you'd want to go to even if it didn't have Voyage. Without Shivering Timbers, MiA is nothing.

I LOVED ST in the front seat, but the 2nd time in the back wasn't quite as good. Voyage (as many of you know) was brutal for us a few years ago in the mid to upper part of the train. I see it as a challenge to go back to try the front seat - preferably at night.

I'd also LOVE to try ST in the front seat at night - particularly after visiting Founders for a little while during the day!

I like ST anywhere on the ride, but you are right... Front seat IS the "money seat"! It's one of the few coasters I've been on where the airtime is discernibly better in the front seat, than in the back! And yes, back seat IS a bit rougher...

I don't mind The Voyage middle or back, so maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment (though, given my feelings about the other woodies in the park, and "rough" woodies in general, I don't think I am). But yes, The Voyage up front is the best! And at night? Both coasters are even better than they are in the daytime! (Add some Founders to the mix, and now you're REALLY talking!)

Without Shivering Timbers, MiA is nothing.

Sadly, unless you are into water parks, or have young kids, this is very true...

Drove by the park twice this morning. All tore up at the bottom of Mine Shaft hill between Mine Shaft and Snake pit. Looks like a big trench out towards the road. Lots of big equipment and loaders. Maybe hooking up to city sewer? Side note I have never seen so many loaders and backhoes in the employee parking lot. Between out by Whitehall rd and the employee parking it looked like a cat dealer

Drove by the park twice this morning. All tore up at the bottom of Mine Shaft hill between Mine Shaft and Snake pit. Looks like a big trench out towards the road. Lots of big equipment and loaders. Maybe hooking up to city sewer? Side note I have never seen so many loaders and backhoes in the employee parking lot. Between out by Whitehall rd and the employee parking it looked like a cat dealer

That would be it. Expect Whitehall Rd to be shut down probably near the end of the season (don’t really want to cut off traffic to the main non-public entrance to the park) to hook it up. Think the plan is to also slowly phase out one of the septic ponds in the back. They said they’re going to use the old system as backup.

I mean, they could try to make it an overnight shut down, but with our US construction tactics and laws, chances are it’ll take at least a week, if not more. Gotta have 5 guys supervising 1 that’s doing the work.

Thunderhawk was running yesterday. Did you end up going last week?

Yeah I ended up going last Thursday for about 4 hours. Thunderhawk was operating all day. The place was dead so I got a couple rides on everything. Wasn't exactly impressed with the hill that replaced the trick track on Timbers, but I guess it was nice not having to brace myself for a rib-rocking. Outside of that, same park it has been for a decade. I still go every year just for Timbers though.

• 2 weeks later...

With the recent excitement about RMC's raptor test video, I can only help but think and dream that MiA looks in to it as a potential investment. Although being single seater cars, as small of a park as MiA may be, i'd assume the capacity wouldn't quite be up to par.

Mia seems to get a new coaster about every 10 tens. Im sure not on purpose but seem to happen that way.

1988 Wolverine Wildcat

1998 Shivering Timbers

1999 Mad Mouse and Big Dipper (small)

2008 Thunderhawk

2018 Deja Blue (Boomerang?)

2028 finally customer steel coaster?