TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

Question: does the new trim on Timbers right before the helix hit hard at all? In videos I've seen it doesn't look too serious.

When GCI re-profiled the helix in 2015, it was no longer needed so it was disabled. Even before then, it was just being trimmed just ever so slightly to help make the helix more comfortable and less wear and tear on it.

^^ How smooth is Thunderhawk? I've been spoiled by the new restraints on SFNE's Mind Eraser.

Well, before those new trains on the SFNE Mind Eraser, it was known as the smoothest SLC, so it's pretty high up there. I wouldn't say it's butter smooth, but it's certainly way better than your standard Six Flags SLC, that's for sure.

Well, before those new trains on the SFNE Mind Eraser, it was known as the smoothest SLC, so it's pretty high up there. I wouldn't say it's butter smooth, but it's certainly way better than your standard Six Flags SLC, that's for sure.

Which is funny cause it was originally in a Six Flags park. (Added by Premier in 98, Premier also purchased Six Flags in 98) It was always considered the smoothest SLC even when it was at GL.

^^ How smooth is Thunderhawk? I've been spoiled by the new restraints on SFNE's Mind Eraser.

It's the absolute smoothest SLC.

Which means it's only moderately terrible still!

In all honesty, I still don't get the love for Thunderhawk... I gave it a shot in 2015, and it still was a SLC POS. Granted, the front row wasn't too bad, and I highly recommend waiting for the front (and avoiding the temptation to get in one of the empty lines elsewhere) when you ride it. After that front row ride, my son and I went for a re-ride on it, thinking "that wasn't so bad", and DIDN'T wait for the front, but got in row 3 I think... Awful!!! So, you've been warned...

^ As long as the wait for the front isn't that much longer, I'll be sure to ride there. With the SLCs, I've found the front and back rows to often be the smoothest. And when I say smoothest, I mean only very uncomfortable not totally uncomfortable (unless you have the OSTR-less restraints).

I'm going to sound like a broken record with ThunderHawk but in all honesty after riding it 10 times in a single day I really don't mind it. Timbers felt like it was hurting me more. I guess I just have the riding method down like I did with Mean Streak. But it's at the point I do it unconsciously so I wouldn't be able to explain it. Whenever I head there I'll try and take note XD.

Yes and no... You still have the potential to get your neck banged around, and also strain your neck (which has happened to me in the past), and smaller kids can get their heads banged. And again, if you have to do something like that to make a ride better... eh... not a good ride.

On the SLCs, I always found leaning my head against one side of the restraint was the best bet. The SLCs are so rough that they not only bash your head back and forth, but they can also throw you forwards, especially during that 3rd inversion. So I wouldn't want to stick my head forwards.

^&^^

I usually did something similar with Kong and was successful enough to be able to get decent rides on it most days. I brace my arms and shoulders and then place my cheek on the side of the restraint. The vibrations on the soft part of my cheek don't hurt as much as my head. Of course, I have a lot of ear piercings that hurt really bad if they get boxed.

It didn't make a difference for T3. I never rode it before the vest restraints, but it was downright awful with no way to brace at all.

I rode T3 May of last year, and it wasn't painful at all. The only other SLC I had to compare it to was Mind Eraser at SFNE before the new trains arrived this season.

T3 was shaky but because I wasn't having my head bashed I was able to enjoy it.

Enjoying T3 is like an oxymoron, you realize.

Preach! I'm surprised anyone could get a good ride on that thing. One and done for us. One of the worst coasters I've ever ridden.

Preach! I'm surprised anyone could get a good ride on that thing. One and done for us. One of the worst coasters I've ever ridden.

I take it you've never ridden Mind Eraser at SFNE. That coaster was a one and done for me. T3 was a walk in the park compared to it.

I take it you've never ridden Mind Eraser at SFNE. That coaster was a one and done for me. T3 was a walk in the park compared to it.

I have been on that one, and I still found T3 far worse. Of the 3 I've been on, best to worst is:

Kong

Mind Eraser

T3

(Of course, of the 3 Kong is the only one I have and would ever willingly reride)

Website has finally been updated to match the other Cedar Fair parks. I like the new design. This goes for all of them, but I wish the map had numbers to identify what each thing was. There is an option to filter, but it doesn't affect the map, only the Grid. The upgraded Half Pint Paradise takes up more space than I originally thought.

edit: found the PDF version of the map, I had to go to the WIldwater Adventure page at the very bottom. Map