TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PowerPark Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at PowerPark, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

PowerPark Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

October, 20th 2005 - GCI Thunderbird construction photos (see below)

April 17th, 2006 - Thunderbird is testing

PowerPark to install a shooting dark ride

PowerPark is building a "Super Flume"

March 18th, 2015 - Park is building a Gerstlauer LSM for 2015

March 24th, 2015 - Park officially announces Junker

Original Post:

Hey everyone,

I thought some of you would enjoy these progress pics of the Thunderbird GCII twister in Finland.

http://www.nojespark.net/nojes/powgci2006/

http://www.guenter-engelhardt.de/entert ... oaster.php

(scroll all the way down to see the most recent pics)

http://www.powerpark.fi/English/homepage.html

(click the pink icon at lower left)

As of today, there are only two more bents to stand at the high part of the lift. Then it's all mechanical, electrical and track work.

J

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, all these wicked GCI coasters, and I lucked out and got the one DUD at my home park (SFA). Roar is so, so boring! They should have named it "Snore". What makes it even worse is the fact that it's located at the same park as the awesomely magnificent Wild One!

Another thing - I memorize the layouts of most coasters I come across; but, GCI's leave me totally retarded. I have no idea what's going on with them. That makes for a great first ride, however.

Another thing - I memorize the layouts of most coasters I come across; but, GCI's leave me totally retarded. I have no idea what's going on with them. That makes for a great first ride, however.

LOL I do the same thing. I watched POV's for Thunderhead awhile but it still suprised me.

Even with knowing layouts Im always suprised by the forces. For instance, I knew most of Ravens layout but didnt know it did the quick right left jab at the base of "the drop". That was a shocker since first ride was back seat. heh.

Those fan banked curves and drops look fantastic, every coaster GCI builds is amazing to look at. This layout could be taken from the 50's and 60's coasters which Harry Traver built..

I've never been on a Twister layout, looks very fun to ride at the back of front seats, esp in the dark.

Hope its "Airtime Heaven" and never get "trimmed" with brakes.

Come on GCI build a woodie like this in the UK..

Those fan banked curves and drops look fantastic, every coaster GCI builds is amazing to look at. This layout could be taken from the 50's and 60's coasters which Harry Traver built..

I've never been on a Twister layout, looks very fun to ride at the back of front seats, esp in the dark.

Hope its "Airtime Heaven" and never get "trimmed" with brakes.

Come on GCI build a woodie like this in the UK..

Traver was the 20's and 30's of which this ride is very reminiscent.

It is alot more like a Prior and Church Design then a Traver.

Really, it was designed to incorporate the lines and patterns of the classic seaside twisters (kind of long, high at both ends, station surrounded on all sides by track) but retain the "twists" that GCII is known for (curving first

drop, fan turns, s-curves). The Coney Tornado and Santa Cruz Dipper were something of an inspiration for these (along with Savin's Thunderbolt, to a lesser extent).

I think the balance looks like it worked out, but I'm hoping for tracer

lights. That'll complete the vision.

J

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! this thing looks like a compact kick in tha pants. I love to watch woodies get built. They realy are an art form. Not those steel wood hybrids either. The ones that are made from millions and millions of boardfeet of southern yellow pine.

Are you going to be visiting this park on your UK trip next summer?

Guy "What is a boardfoot in relation to a real foot?" Koepp

When I was talking with Jeff Pike of GCI at the Beech Bend announcement, he was telling us (Hilltopper and I) that they were planning on finishing the Power Park coaster's structure by November 30th and then coming back to Bowling Green to finish off the Kentucky Rumbler.

Looks like it is going to be one heck of a ride as well.

The Kentucky RUmbler is just as far along as the Power Park coaster. I drive by Beech Bend about once a week and from my perspective almost all of the structure is up wit the exception of the station and surroundings, and they've started tracking on several sections. I'll try to get some pictures soon if I can, but take my word it looks amazing!