Blackpool Pleasure Beach (BPB) Discussion Thread

P. 118 - Icon Front Seat POV and Rider Cam!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach (BPB) Discussion Thread

Postby SharkTums » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:11 am

I think we all understand WHY they are removing the ride, doesn't mean we have to like or agree with it. It's a classic, aggressive, crazy ride. Also it has low capacity, low popularity amongst the general public, and probably costs a lot to maintain. I love it and will miss it, but these things happen.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby A.T.I » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:25 am

Posted on the ECC fb site;

BPB Statement in Ref to the Removal of the "Wild Mouse"

After very careful consideration and planning, our current winter work programme has seen the permanent closure and dismantling of the Wild Mouse and the removal of the façade of the former Trauma Tower attractions. This will create an area for future exciting developments.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach is a constantly evolving amusement park and has been for the past 122 years. The changes it has seen over the years are what has made it the great park it is today. This, coupled with a relatively small amount of space, means that in order to progress and look to the future we occasionally need to alter the landscape of the park to make way for future developments.
ATI Stands for Amusement Thrills International! =) =) =)

We were born to fly...

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Itachi » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:35 am

Also just saw the statement on the ECC Facebook. Really disappointed, since I was planning on going to England this year and this was a ride a was really looking forward to. I also just don't understand it. Apart from the popularity among fans, I also read on the ECC Facebook that is was also quite popular among the GP. Together with the fact that Blackpool is a park with seems to value it's historical rides, I just can''t believe this decision. I just hope Dreamland Margate will ever set up their wooden Wild Mouse, and otherwise, too bad but nothing to do about it. I understand progress, but I at least expected BPB to announce a closure of such a classic ride way sooner.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby A.T.I » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:54 am

Itachi wrote:It would be strange to me that I park would demolish an almost 70-year-old ride without any prior notice.

ATI Stands for Amusement Thrills International! =) =) =)

We were born to fly...

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:27 am

SharkTums wrote:I think we all understand WHY they are removing the ride, doesn't mean we have to like or agree with it. It's a classic, aggressive, crazy ride. Also it has low capacity, low popularity amongst the general public, and probably costs a lot to maintain. I love it and will miss it, but these things happen.

This sums up my thoughts, also. As another posted has stated, many this in some way helps Margate get King Solomon's Mine rebuilt.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby coasterer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:07 pm

Just saw the news on FB! Is this completely out of left field?? It literally never crossed my mind to worry about it coming down any time soon. I really really enjoyed my rides on it, a lot, and loved that this kind of ride still existed.
Favorites: Voyage, T-Express, Goliath (WW), Medusa Steel Coaster, Boulder Dash, Katun, I 305, El Toro, Storm Runner, Mega-lite, Shivering Timbers, Alpengeist, Millennium Force, Thunderhead, Nemesis, Skyrush, Prowler, Atlantis Adventure, Thundercoaster, Maverick, Jungle Storm, Cornball Express, Behemoth,

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:30 pm

Itachi wrote:It would be strange to me that I park would demolish an almost 70-year-old right without any prior notice

Oh, trust me, I completely get why they did this. Had they announced it in advance, or did a "come get your last rides" type of thing, you'd have every nerdy roller coaster enthusiast angrily bad-mouthing them and harassing them to the point of making it not worth their while to allow someone to get a "last ride" in. Clearly the decision was made to close the ride a while ago, as a park doesn't just wake up one day and go "Hey, you know what? After lunch, let's go demolish that ride over there..." so this means they purposely made the choice NOT to let people know that it was going to be demolished.

Honestly, I cannot blame them. Parks don't HAVE to do anything for "enthusiasts" and regardless if you are happy or not about this decision, it's not going to stop the masses from coming to the park. I've seen plenty of times parks go out of their way to allow guests a "last ride" on a classic ride at a park only to have that bite them in the A$$ and people moan and complain about it.

If I owned a park, I would have done exactly the same thing. In fact, if it were up to me, I probably would have done a live stream of the demolition! :lol: :lmao:

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:26 pm

robbalvey wrote:Honestly, I cannot blame them. Parks don't HAVE to do anything for "enthusiasts" and regardless if you are happy or not about this decision, it's not going to stop the masses from coming to the park. I've seen plenty of times parks go out of their way to allow guests a "last ride" on a classic ride at a park only to have that bite them in the A$$ and people moan and complain about it.

Also, God forbid, the stupidity that would go down if the ride had an unexpected breakdown / early closure and everyone who waited until the very last hour of the day to go get their ride in couldn't.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby djmcbell » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:10 pm

Well that was definitely unexpected, and a sad loss. I haven't been on the other three Wild Mouse coasters, and not as many coasters as most other forum members here, but this coaster was one that genuinely made you feel as if you could die - sliding around in the back of the car with someone else between your legs, bum leaving the seat on the drops, ducking under the track on the lifthill, and the car seemingly rounding corners on two wheels.

You didn't dare put your arms in the air on this one because the Wild Mouse would instantly knock out your ribs. A truly unforgiving mistress.

I was born and bred around Blackpool so the Wild Mouse is like a part of history to me. Never liked it much as a kid nut did as an adult. And there was always a steady line to ride - not necessarily a long one but it was there. Never a walk-on (possibly because of its low capacity).

So farewell Wild Mouse, you will be sorely missed.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:13 pm

Gutted. I can't think of a time I've been hit harder by a closure. I still remember squirming the last time there was a rumor of this happening, but the ride had ultimately seemed safe based on the final commentary to come out at that time. On a purely personal level, at least I never had any rock-solid plans to visit the park that I'd previously cancelled, and I've gotten to do plenty of cool trips that I would've had to sacrifice in order to do a UK trip during a similar timeframe. And I wouldn't have visited recently following the Icon announcement, since I'd for sure rather wait until that's open. Trade-offs, always.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!