Blackpool Pleasure Beach (BPB) Discussion Thread

P. 118 - Icon Front Seat POV and Rider Cam!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I know more about donkeys than women!

Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach (BPB) Discussion Thread

Postby Condor » Wed May 23, 2018 8:42 am

While part of me wants to trot out my usual, "looks fine, but too tame for me!" cliche, Time Traveler has taught me to trust Mack. Plus, I figure later POVs will look a little faster. And Cheetah Hunt-UK is hardly a bad deal at all if that's what it turns out to be.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed May 23, 2018 9:28 am

Condor wrote:While part of me wants to trot out my usual, "looks fine, but too tame for me!" cliche, Time Traveler has taught me to trust Mack. Plus, I figure later POVs will look a little faster. And Cheetah Hunt-UK is hardly a bad deal at all if that's what it turns out to be.

Someone posted on our Facebook page that the POV video that the park shared with the media was actually shot over a month ago and the ride runs much faster now. Again, I"m not sure why parks do this sometimes where you'd think you'd want to show off the ride in the best way possible. We'll have some ridercam footage posted soon from today so hopefully that will show the ride running more like it actually feels.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed May 23, 2018 10:09 am

Icon is perfect for the park. It finally gives it the fantastic steel coaster they needed (sorry Big One). I agree it looks like a mix of Helix and Taron in terms of the layout and that certainly isn't a bad thing for me.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Six Flags Over Georgia &Wisp Resort

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:56 am

robbalvey wrote:Someone posted on our Facebook page that the POV video that the park shared with the media was actually shot over a month ago and the ride runs much faster now.

That's good to know. I've been excited to ride this ever since we incorporated Great Britain into our honeymoon, but the way the train seemed to meander through some portions of the track had me thinking about the feedback I've heard from people about Helix and Taron. I'm sure it'll be fun regardless, but this news is promising!
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby A.T.I » Wed May 23, 2018 12:24 pm

robbalvey wrote:Someone posted on our Facebook page that the POV video that the park shared with the media was actually shot over a month ago and the ride runs much faster now.

That is actually not the case, because the paint work added to the side of the sub station (just to the side of the top hat) has only just been painted, so it couldn't have been filmed longer than a couple of days ago.
ATI Stands for Amusement Thrills International! =) =) =)

We were born to fly...

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby AdventuresinAirtime » Wed May 23, 2018 4:50 pm

There's been a lot of people making fun of Icon for looking slow in the POVs/Offride videos.

I thought the same, but having attended the media day today, it actually packs quite a punch on that top hat, and the immelman after the 2nd launch offers a really good hangtime feeling.

First time riding a modern Mack coaster, absolutely awesome ride. The way it interacts with classic rides is just great.

EDIT: Oh, and it does totally feel like Cheetah Hunt but more compact. Lots of *robb voice* TWISTYYYYYYYY!!
Aidan-Ewan-Icon.jpg
Icon Media Day 2018
Adventures in Airtime Theme Park Podcast:
www.adventuresinairtime.com

Adventures in Airtime on YouTube:

Postby cal1br3tto » Wed May 23, 2018 7:31 pm

RCjunkie wrote:Love how they managed to get it so close to that woody right next to it.

Agreed! I'm glad to hear positive reviews of this coaster. Fine with me if it's like Cheetah Hunt.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed May 23, 2018 9:28 pm

A.T.I wrote:

That is actually not the case, because the paint work added to the side of the sub station (just to the side of the top hat) has only just been painted, so it couldn't have been filmed longer than a couple of days ago.

This is correct. I went back and looked at the two POVs and they were not shot at the same time. Shocking that someone on the Internet was wrong... :roll:

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Thu May 24, 2018 3:57 pm

Super interesting. The pacing reminds me of Mack’s Star Trek coaster at Movie Park Germany which also has a really fun layout but is a little too slow to be thrilling. I wonder if this is a choice by the park or Mack.

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:59 pm

I love how slow that heart-line roll is right before the second launch. Talk about crazy hang time, and right over a pathway too! What a perfect addition to the park and the UK in general.
Steel: 160 / Wood: 32 / Total: 192
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!