Blackpool Pleasure Beach (BPB) Discussion Thread

Page 99: Mack double launched coaster announced for 2018
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Blackpool Pleasure Beach (BPB) Discussion Thread

Postby Musical Pete » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:49 am

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website - http://www.blackpoolpleasurebeach.com

TPR's Park Index

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

September 20, 2005 - New Trains for Grand National (below)
December 6th, 2005 - Changes for the 2006 season

August 11th, 2006 - Job cuts on the horizon
October 25th, 2006 - Log Flume Deconstruction
November 1st, 2006 - Infusion Construction

January 29th, 2007 - Infusion construction photos
December 3rd, 2007 - Wild Mouse Rehab Pictures

February 14th, 2008 - Changes in Admission Policy for 2008 season
March 9th, 2008 - Roller Coaster gets new trains without seatbelts
April 18th, 2008 - The Whip is dismantled

January 13th, 2009 - BPB forces fan website to close
August 11th, 2009 - Big Dipper derails

June 6th, 2010 - Big Dipper derails again
June 27th, 2010 - Nickelodeon Land announced for 2011

February 7th, 2011 - New Trains for Big One
May 5th, 2011 - Nickelodeon Land Grand Opening
November 18th, 2011 - Valhalla getting refurbished

March 5th, 2012 - Revolution getting repainted

October 23rd, 2014 - Red Arrows Sky Force announced for 2015

April 20th, 2015 - Red Arrows Sky Force begins vertical construction

September 28th, 2016 - 16 million pound investment announced for 2018, a Mack double launched coaster

I made a trip to BPB today, inspired by news of the cars' arrival this weekend. I didn't expect to get a glimpse of them though, so was pleasantly surprised during my Monorail ride.. which I repeated twice for photos. :P :lol:

Much better, close-up detailed photos will surface on or after October 8th. But for now, I just couldn't resist - clicky. :)
Last edited by larrygator on Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:49 pm.

You See This?.....This is my BOOMSTICK!!!

Postby Florida420 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:21 pm

My friend used to have a Grand National, boy was it fast, especially for a 6 cyl. we would eat up the 5.0s all day long..... :D

Oh wait :shock:

sorry
not the car huh? :wink:

P All " I love Donkeys now....yeaaaaay!!"
::D Together, Wii360 Elite will change everything!!Image

I'll have red wine with my slice of donkey.

Postby Hicko » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:24 pm

Too bad that the sheets are still on!

Like the new Av :lol:

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby verticalzero » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:52 pm

I wonder what the "Nash" would ride like if it had Melemulum (can't spell it right) Flyer trains, like the ones which "Thunderhead" has.

I'm going to Blackpool at the end of Oct, so the new trains may be on the tracks. Have to give em loads of grease and oil to fly round the track.

More airtime is needed on the "Nash". :D :D

Postby Musical Pete » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:22 pm

They won't be operational until next season. Ride modifications needed, along with magnetic brakes (unless things go over budget perhaps).

Millennium Flyers would be awful (well, they ARE awful, to me, but let's just not go there!) on a non twisty coaster like the Nash - the airtime would actually diminish due to leverage related to wheelbase. The better option for that style would be Vekoma trains, but they'd be way too heavy - if you'd be ok with a whole retracking and overzealous structural enhancement to cope with the weight.. Nash ruined!

The new cars seem virtually to be the older ones, just with different restraints (individual ratcheting bar and belt). That sameness is a good thing!

Postby Musical Pete » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:34 am

YEAY - go to http://www.235club.co.uk and navigate to the news section, for a better look at the cars. The bottom right photo appears to be a little horizontally squashed (the cars are 3" deeper than standard like the old ones, but they're not *that* squashed up).

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:50 pm

Wow! That's going to be interesting riding that with brand spanking new PTC trains! I'm so used to those 'older school' ones with the smaller lapbar!

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby verticalzero » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:24 pm

The new cars looks lovely for the "Nash", I'll be trying them out at the end of Oct. Hope the weather is ok and not rainning to much.

That's the only problem with Blackpool being up north.

Postby Musical Pete » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:49 pm

..No you won't - I think February 18th is the park's opening day next season, and the new cars won't be in service until then.

The new magnetic brakes are being fitted over winter. Good news though regarding that - some of the levers ARE staying, with the station brakes themselves being left as manual. The magnetic brakes will be actuated trims (able to regulate speed to the right degree) before the final drop (as has always been the case, but previously operated or rather "set" by a manual cable winch) and the final slowing brakes, which will be permanent magnets.

So, new trains and new brakes, but still no nasty hissing of automatic air brakes on a computer system. The sub-platform manual brake rods will still groan and the levers will still move, and dependant on the skill of the brakemen, the trains will still stop unevenly at the gates (something not desirable in operating terms, but funny and unique regardless). :D

Oh before I forget, have another look here. Some new car photos - http://musical.pete.fotopic.net/c699003.html :D

..Comfy, as before! :wink:

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby N'at Man » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:31 pm

I was almost ready to ask why they only were getting 4, 3 car trains thinking that they had to have longer trains. But looking back it already had 3 car trains. The new trains look sharp and I like that they retained the gray material for the interior like the old trains had along with the lights.

But I am a bit worried about some things I'm reading elsewhere about BPB. Apparently the Turtle Chase didn't run last year and it is being put in storage with the site set to be leveled. The Whip and the Black Hole were also SBNO last season. The flume, dodgems and even Noah's Ark appear to be on the endangered list. The Vikingar appears to be doomed and the cableway hasn't operated in a long time. Please correct me if I'm off on any of these rides but that is a disturbing number of endangered classic rides. I'm all for improvements but the classic rides are what make Blackpool special. What's going on?
--Tim

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!