TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Blackpool Pleasure Beach (BPB) Discussion Thread

^ Have you ridden it, Bane? I'd love to hear more.

I enjoy the enthusiasm from that channel, but it's a real pro-Blackpool group. It was doing a lot of park defending when commenters were skeptical about the often-exaggerating British hype train (it'll be the best/most fantastic/utmost unbelievably glorious coaster experience found anywhere, etc., etc.) well before it opened. Again, it seems like a friendly group, but I'm looking forward to hopefully some full TPR member reports soon!

^I am most likely visiting this park for the first time in June (along with all the other major UK parks), so I'll post my thoughts in a trip report when I have ridden it.

Despite all the hype, it really does look awesome though!

Love how they managed to get it so close to that woody right next to it. Very low profile run too. And that fog in the tunnels is a nice effect, let's hope they can keep that running beyond the first couple years. Looks like another fun coaster.

Looks great - a nice, interesting mix of elements and slow/fast sections. Obviously the coolest thing about this ride is the interaction with all the other rides, very very cool.

While part of me wants to trot out my usual, "looks fine, but too tame for me!" cliche, Time Traveler has taught me to trust Mack. Plus, I figure later POVs will look a little faster. And Cheetah Hunt-UK is hardly a bad deal at all if that's what it turns out to be.

While part of me wants to trot out my usual, "looks fine, but too tame for me!" cliche, Time Traveler has taught me to trust Mack. Plus, I figure later POVs will look a little faster. And Cheetah Hunt-UK is hardly a bad deal at all if that's what it turns out to be.

Someone posted on our Facebook page that the POV video that the park shared with the media was actually shot over a month ago and the ride runs much faster now. Again, I"m not sure why parks do this sometimes where you'd think you'd want to show off the ride in the best way possible. We'll have some ridercam footage posted soon from today so hopefully that will show the ride running more like it actually feels.

Icon is perfect for the park. It finally gives it the fantastic steel coaster they needed (sorry Big One). I agree it looks like a mix of Helix and Taron in terms of the layout and that certainly isn't a bad thing for me.

Someone posted on our Facebook page that the POV video that the park shared with the media was actually shot over a month ago and the ride runs much faster now.

That's good to know. I've been excited to ride this ever since we incorporated Great Britain into our honeymoon, but the way the train seemed to meander through some portions of the track had me thinking about the feedback I've heard from people about Helix and Taron. I'm sure it'll be fun regardless, but this news is promising!

Someone posted on our Facebook page that the POV video that the park shared with the media was actually shot over a month ago and the ride runs much faster now.

That is actually not the case, because the paint work added to the side of the sub station (just to the side of the top hat) has only just been painted, so it couldn't have been filmed longer than a couple of days ago.

There's been a lot of people making fun of Icon for looking slow in the POVs/Offride videos.

I thought the same, but having attended the media day today, it actually packs quite a punch on that top hat, and the immelman after the 2nd launch offers a really good hangtime feeling.

First time riding a modern Mack coaster, absolutely awesome ride. The way it interacts with classic rides is just great.

EDIT: Oh, and it does totally feel like Cheetah Hunt but more compact. Lots of *robb voice* TWISTYYYYYYYY!!

Aidan-Ewan-Icon.thumb.jpg.ace1522ecc0356c280d37c416b70757f.jpg

Icon Media Day 2018

That is actually not the case, because the paint work added to the side of the sub station (just to the side of the top hat) has only just been painted, so it couldn't have been filmed longer than a couple of days ago.

This is correct. I went back and looked at the two POVs and they were not shot at the same time. Shocking that someone on the Internet was wrong...

Super interesting. The pacing reminds me of Mack’s Star Trek coaster at Movie Park Germany which also has a really fun layout but is a little too slow to be thrilling. I wonder if this is a choice by the park or Mack.

This video shows the difference in speed between the rider cam that Craig shot at the POV that the park provided us. The POV hits the final brakes about 6-7 seconds slower than the rider cam. Not a HUGE difference, but enough to where you'd notice it while riding.

Here's the POV that the park sent to us at is referenced at the end of the video above:

Edited by robbalvey

Just watched that video, and the difference is remarkable. I think I'd probably love this coaster, though realistically it'll be about 15 years before I have a chance to get to England. Icon looks really fun, and I'm sure people in northern England are going to love this.

Wow!!! The difference in those videos is INSANE!!! The new video shows the pacing to be MUCH better than we originally thought. So glad this coaster is turning out to be as awesome as we hoped!

• 1 year later...

^ I don't want to hate Big One, but it's the absolute worst coaster experience I ever had. I don't think this ride is boring, it has some nice moments, but this is the only coaster that hurt me and I still had pain days after my ride on it. I just hope the retrack helps to make this ride more enjoyable. I guess what I mean is I like what they are doing.