Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

P. 680 - Pandemonium Announced for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Re: Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Postby Seddy » Sat May 19, 2018 5:34 pm

^ I thought I read somewhere that the engines at SFOG were diesel powered engines. Im going to have to check and see.

Additionally, did anyone get out to the park yesterday or today? Any progress on the 3rd lap? :lmao: :lmao:
Former SFOG Employee (2005-2006). Former GASM Op(2005). Former Thunder River Op(2006).
Favorite Woodie - El Toro --- Favorite Steel - Dèja Vu (Long live the GIB)
SFOG Ambassador - Per My Mother. (Lol)

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby TNT » Sat May 19, 2018 7:15 pm

The engine is a former steam locomotive that has been butchered into a diesel. The only parks in the chain that still run live steam are Over Texas and St. Louis.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby ALT2870 » Sat May 19, 2018 7:25 pm

Seddy wrote:^ I thought I read somewhere that the engines at SFOG were diesel powered engines. Im going to have to check and see.

Additionally, did anyone get out to the park yesterday or today? Any progress on the 3rd lap? :lmao: :lmao:

Digging deeper we were both correct, originally built as steam and converted to diesel hydraulic. The motor is in the tender. Here's is the topic I found: http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7438

I get why they did it, much cheaper cost. Concerning the fire, it sure looked like the cab was on fire which wouldn't be surprising since the tender is right behind it. Either way it's the media so there's that.

Edit: In reference to TNT, I appreciate that those parks still run steam. As I mentioned it is extremely expensive both in maintenance and training/staffing. I always make a point to try to ride the railroads at both parks. (At St. Louis it is a life saver.)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby coaster_girl_79 » Sat May 19, 2018 8:26 pm

Any news of a soft opening of Twisted Cyclone for members or passholders? Thanks

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Sun May 20, 2018 7:17 am

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillrider » Sun May 20, 2018 8:40 am

Fyi....
The train has been running for a few days now. Not sure if it's the same engine, but at least the ride is up again.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sun May 20, 2018 9:43 am

:lover: :lover: :lover: :lover:

So excited to get to ride this later this season!!! ... Am I the only one who thinks this is one of the most "over looked" projects of 2018??
Bigger is not always better.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Seddy » Sun May 20, 2018 9:58 am

thrillrider wrote:Fyi....
The train has been running for a few days now. Not sure if it's the same engine, but at least the ride is up again.

SFOG has 2 engines. The Texas and The General. I believe it was The Texas that caught on fire and they are running The General now. Im sure most of the GP will give the side eye to the SFRR now based on their natural fears, but I am also glad that the experience is operational. SFOG just isnt the same without the sound of the train riding around.
Former SFOG Employee (2005-2006). Former GASM Op(2005). Former Thunder River Op(2006).
Favorite Woodie - El Toro --- Favorite Steel - Dèja Vu (Long live the GIB)
SFOG Ambassador - Per My Mother. (Lol)

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby LiftThrill » Mon May 21, 2018 4:29 am

DoinItForTheFame wrote:

:lover: :lover: :lover: :lover:

So excited to get to ride this later this season!!! ... Am I the only one who thinks this is one of the most "over looked" projects of 2018??

Yeah, it feels like that. Probably because it didn't open as early as SV or Twisted Timbers.
Can't wait to see how this one stacks up. Sometime in the (not-so-near) future I'm planning a SFOG/Carowinds/Dollywood trip and this just makes an already appealing park even more appealing.
1. Millennium Force | 2. New Texas Giant | 3. Outlaw Run | 4. Maverick | 5. Iron Rattler | 6. The Voyage | 7. Goliath (SFGAm) | 8. Time Traveler | 9. Raging Bull | 10. Diamondback

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby tdt0005 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:59 pm

coaster_girl_79 wrote:Any news of a soft opening of Twisted Cyclone for members or passholders? Thanks

I'd like to know this too. One of the main reasons I decided to pull the trigger on a membership this year was because they advertised this as a perk. If they aren't going to do a soft opening for members, they really need to plan some other sort of event to make up for it. (Not just passholder previews for Fright Nights)

Also, War Eagle.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!