TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

I haven't been to this event @ SFOG, but according to the HITP page on their site it looks like the entire back of the park is closed, so no Blue Hawk, GASM, Superman, Justice League. Looks like everything else? I swore Justice League was open last year, and I'm surprised it looks like its not (only because its an indoor ride during the winter) but at least it looks like Twisted Cyclone will be open. I would be surprised if it wasn't considering its next to the front gate. I wonder if they'll put any kind of lighting on it.

https://www.sixflags.com/overgeorgia/special-events/holiday-in-the-park-event

Last year the only coasters not open were GASM and Blue Hawk, Lickskillet was the only section closed during HiTP so no skyscreamer last year either. This year could be entirely different of course

Thanks all, sounds like I should deff contact the park and ask though should be no issue. (Yes its on the site but gunna double check to be safe) What I am most into riding will be open, actually does seem most of it should be so woo!

My wife and I brought our 10 month old son to the park today for bring a friend free day (I have a pass, she doesn't, but has been before). It was his first ever amusement park, first ever ride. Rode Monster Mansion, the Antique Cars, and the Carousel. Spent a little time in the wave pool. Ate lunch under Twisted Cyclone (which is just as awesome as Boldikus above^ describes, I completely agree, but we didn't get a ride in today)...

It was a totally new view of the park for me. I'm entering the wonderful world of amusement park child-rearing, and honestly, we had a wonderful time. It was COMPLETELY different from how I usually enjoy parks these days (alone, 3 hour max, only new or good coasters only). I don't think I've ridden a non-roller coaster in a... I don't remember when honestly.

But we had a blast and it's a beautiful park that I can't wait to continue exploring with my son from his perspective

I'm preparing to start taking our 2 year old soon. Can't wait!!

I know location is an issue but if they choose not to open Justice League for the event then they’re insane.

Justice League will definitely be open throughout HitP. In fact, when they opened this ride in 2017, the park management were very quick to point out JL would be open through the holidays.

A little Holiday in the Park history at this park:

2014 - (first year) Lickskillet, Cotton States, and Gotham City sections closed. Capacity concerns led the management to opening Crime Wave in the Gotham City section (but nothing else) as well as the Dodge City Bumper Cars in the Cotton States area (accessible via Carousel Hill).

2015 - Gotham City added to park operations. Lickskillet and Cotton States remain closed. Park announced they would again open Dodge City Bumper Cars.

2016 - Superman: Ultimate Flight added to roster of operating coasters, this open area is accessible via Carousel Hill. Oddly enough, this area lacked holiday theming. Bumper Cars were walled off as they were being removed to make way for JL:BFM.

2017 - the (new) Metropolis section, including JL:BFM is officially added, complete with Christmas theming. Scream Machine remains closed along with the rest of Lickskillet in which it is now officially located. Also of note, Georgia Cyclone is closed as it is undergoing an RMC transformation.

Maybe they will add the final (Lickskillet) area this year. I still think this section would look really nice decked out for the holidays. If not this year, maybe 2019 after Pandemonium and the new Screampunk areas are added...

• 2 weeks later...

Even though temperatures are still summerlike, the park has completely transformed for Fright Fest! I was able to get a few hours in on Saturday eve and most of the day Sunday.

Although the exterior of the park gate looks identical to years' past, the changes begin as soon as you pass the entrance. The Prominade entrance area was very creatively set up with the 'red carpet treatment', paying homage to classic b/w horror flicks. This was a refreshing change from the setup of recent years. Other familiar scare zones were back, but in new locations, which gave them a fresh look and vibe. The Tunnel of Love (Blood) is now located in front of the Splashwater Falls entrance, which is a much better spot than prior years' location in the USA section. Many additional new props have appeared as well.

Haunts:

Casa De Muerte (Fearman's Manor) - worthy, entertaining 3D haunt experience, unchanged from last year.

Evil Passage (Piedmont Arcade building across from Thunder River observation deck) - new haunt - very, very short but some good props and actors inside. This is a great first haunt for the timid.

ZX-1 (Gotham City Axis Arena) - Concept is identical to last year but the layout is significantly changed up. This is perhaps one of the most entertaining mazes. Not for the faint of heart.

Witch's Hollow (Thunder River queue) - virtually the same as last year. No real scares but lots of eye candy.

Camp Slasher (former Thomas Town/Whistlestop location) - the name is a carryover from last year but the location in the park and nearly all of the experience is new. This is a huge improvement over the 2017 iteration of this haunt, when it was located outside the Rabun Gap train station. The entrance is very odd though, featuring a school bus playing upbeat dance music (??)

Alien Abduction - brand new haunt (and building), this maze occupies the #project whatever warehouse style structure that was built near the Goliath entrance. This was a very decent haunt featuring many elaborate sets and props.

Dr. Fright's Dead Man's Party - same show but it holds up well as a crowd pleaser year after year. This year's edition was cast well and did not disappoint. This year they have added a Diamond reserved seating area consisting of two rows near the middle of the theater.

There is also a new stage show near the Dare Devil Dive. I did not get a good look at it but I did notice the stage is completely different from last year.

The park was fairly crowded Saturday but strangely enough, the haunted attractions had little or no lines. Casa de Muerte (Fearman's Manor) had the longest wait at about 10 minutes but the other haunts were walk-ins.

Overall, I am impressed with Fright Fest 2018. The staff were for the most part friendly and helpful and the food lines were not too horrible. I have not been able to say this in a while but it really looks like the park has given a great deal of extra effort.

20180922_225656.thumb.jpg.7e8f00b7d36630f765599e48c8835e5b.jpg

"NOW SHOWING...FRIGHT FEST 2018"

20180922_223549.thumb.jpg.6cb90240087430e07dd8cae618474779.jpg

The new Goliath queue area building with an all new haunt inside!

20180922_223628.thumb.jpg.2d3c705716ecf5bcb3b131f4108c2eb2.jpg

Fuller Labs? So THIS is what they have been secretly building near Goliath...

Even though temperatures are still summerlike, the park has completely transformed for Fright Fest! I was able to get a few hours in on Saturday eve and most of the day Sunday.

Although the exterior of the park gate looks identical to years' past, the changes begin as soon as you pass the entrance. The Prominade entrance area was very creatively set up with the 'red carpet treatment', paying homage to classic b/w horror flicks. This was a refreshing change from the setup of recent years. Other familiar scare zones were back, but in new locations, which gave them a fresh look and vibe. The Tunnel of Love (Blood) is now located in front of the Splashwater Falls entrance, which is a much better spot than prior years' location in the USA section. Many additional new props have appeared as well.

Haunts:

Casa De Muerte (Fearman's Manor) - worthy, entertaining 3D haunt experience, unchanged from last year.

Evil Passage (Piedmont Arcade building across from Thunder River observation deck) - new haunt - very, very short but some good props and actors inside. This is a great first haunt for the timid.

ZX-1 (Gotham City Axis Arena) - Concept is identical to last year but the layout is significantly changed up. This is perhaps one of the most entertaining mazes. Not for the faint of heart.

Witch's Hollow (Thunder River queue) - virtually the same as last year. No real scares but lots of eye candy.

Camp Slasher (former Thomas Town/Whistlestop location) - the name is a carryover from last year but the location in the park and nearly all of the experience is new. This is a huge improvement over the 2017 iteration of this haunt, when it was located outside the Rabun Gap train station. The entrance is very odd though, featuring a school bus playing upbeat dance music (??)

Alien Abduction - brand new haunt (and building), this maze occupies the #project whatever warehouse style structure that was built near the Goliath entrance. This was a very decent haunt featuring many elaborate sets and props.

Dr. Fright's Dead Man's Party - same show but it holds up well as a crowd pleaser year after year. This year's edition was cast well and did not disappoint. This year they have added a Diamond reserved seating area consisting of two rows near the middle of the theater.

There is also a new stage show near the Dare Devil Dive. I did not get a good look at it but I did notice the stage is completely different from last year.

The park was fairly crowded Saturday but strangely enough, the haunted attractions had little or no lines. Casa de Muerte (Fearman's Manor) had the longest wait at about 10 minutes but the other haunts were walk-ins.

Overall, I am impressed with Fright Fest 2018. The staff were for the most part friendly and helpful and the food lines were not too horrible. I have not been able to say this in a while but it really looks like the park has given a great deal of extra effort.

My 11 year son and got Diamond memberships this year and would like to use our single haunt/maze wristband perk. Could you recommend a good one for a 11 year (if there is any). As his parent I want a good scare but not a my kid will need therapy type of scare if that makes sense haha.

Thanks so much!

Are they doing anything with the train this year?

Yes - I failed to mention the "Ghosts of Six Flags" - I did not experience it yet this year but I have a hunch it is the same as 2017. It is a free experience featuring a narrative of ghost stories in and around the park! Considering the regular season narrative on the train was the same as last year, this one probably will be as well.

My 11 year son and got Diamond memberships this year and would like to use our single haunt/maze wristband perk. Could you recommend a good one for a 11 year (if there is any). As his parent I want a good scare but not a my kid will need therapy type of scare if that makes sense haha.

Thanks so much!

Generally speaking, I would say Witch's Hollow and Casa De Muerte 3D are less 'graphic' and more entertaining and thus better for younger guests. ZX-1, Alien Abduction and Camp Slasher may be too intense / graphic. Evil Passage is not very scary but it is so short I would not waste your freebie on it.

Much depends on the child too. Some kids are perfectly OK with graphic gore and terror. I remember while growing up, this park had an attraction known as "The Horror Cave", which was a permanent year round haunt located in today's Joker's Funhouse structure. This attraction gave nightmares to kids all over Atlanta back in the 1970's!!

I hope you have a great visit with your 11 year old!

Are they doing anything with the train this year?

Yes - I failed to mention the "Ghosts of Six Flags" - I did not experience it yet this year but I have a hunch it is the same as 2017. It is a free experience featuring a narrative of ghost stories in and around the park! Considering the regular season narrative on the train was the same as last year, this one probably will be as well.

At least they are doing that. I did like the old terror train but it has major capacity issues which is likely why they changed it. Ghosts of six flags was interesting last year.

Went yesturday mainly to make sure I got my 2019 pass processed before end of the month and did run through the haunts will I was there.

CaSa De Muerta - about same as last year. Entertrining and enjoyable.

Alien Abuducton - really nice additional. Lots of cool elements and costumes. One of my favorites

Camp Slasher - very very much improved last year and a lot of cool rooms and stuff build in. May have been my favorite haunt. The school bus out front was weird.

ZX-1 - My favorite the last few years but dissapointed this year. The whole "story" of the haunt was removed. No TV screens outside telling you about what is going on in dodge city (even though they did get repetive), no people inside helping you get to the cure at the hospital. Most just a generic town with zombies. If I wasn't comparing it to previous years probably would have enjoyed it a lot more.

Evil passage - in the old dracula building. Short but what they had was good. I'd rather see then add a short additional haunt like this then leave the building empty.

Witche's Coven - basically same a last year. Good eye candy. Not real scary. Now last year I did this 3 time and one time they had a really really cool scene in the final room that made the whole thing amazing. On this trip through nothing special in the final room.

After one trip though I think I'd rank them.

Slasher

Alien

Casa

ZX-1

Witches

Evil passage

Did not get a chance this trip for dead man's party or bad bob the bone butcher or the train. I expect all 3 to be similar to last year but I would all 3 very entertaining last year so that wouldn't be a bad thing.

I also want to comment on the building near goliath. There was talk that it may become a storage building or something about FF but I'm not so sure. The railing for the queue line going in and the exit into goliath gift shop looked definitely more permanetly installed and were not using those temporary movable railings and I don't see them putting in pemanent railings just for FF (even casa de meurte which is used every year for FF uses the temporary railings). So I'm thinking there will be some kind of attaction there come next year though that would be FF19 would lose two haunt locations from this year.

Went and saw the movie "Hell Fest" Tuesday. I know there was much speculation as to whether that movie was filmed at SFoG - or any SF park for that matter but it became clear this was filmed at SF White Water! I recognized many buildings and areas clear as day, most notably the entrance to the rapids slide. The water wheel is also seen clearly during several scenes.

That means the production took place during the off season sometime in the winter of 2017/2018. Very interesting both GA Six Flags parks have now been heavily featured in films. SFoG in "Vacation" and now White Water in "Hell Fest!"

If you're referring to National Lampoon's Vacation, that was Magic Mountain.

National Lampoon's Vacation (1983) - Six Flags Magic Mountain

Vacation (2015) - Six Flags over Georgia.

Two very different movies. 'Vacation' was pretty bad; only worth seeing because of the Ninja being renamed the 'Raptor' (before it became Blue Hawk).

I went out to the park today for the first time in a couple months. I always make it a point to experience FrIght Fest as least once a year. Last year I didn’t get to experience any of the haunts but this year was different thanks to my Diamond Elite membership. It was extremely crowded tonight (especially for a Sunday) but thanks to my boss coming out to the park my good friend and I were able to get a few rides in on top of the several haunts. (My boss got a platinum flash pass for 3).

Special notes—

1. Acrophobia is up and running again!!!

2. The scare actors walking around the park did a really good job at scaring the f*ck out of me.

3. If you ever need to charge your phone (and you have your charger) I suggest heading down to Lickskillet and posting up at the bench near the funnel cake stand. There’s an outlet there and no one seemed to notice it.

4. The haunt in the building built near Goliath (Alien Adubtction I think) was bananas! It amazed me how much they packed in there!

5. The Thunder River queue haunt (can’t remember the name) had an extremely long line ALL night. I didn’t get to experience it but I’m gonna try to go back before FrIght Fest is over so I can see what the hype is about.

6. Mind Bender was running 1 train all day/night. I guess the 2nd train needs repairs or something.

7. Batman seemed a lil more intense than I remember... it seemed like they oiled the tracks or something.

8. The Gotham City haunt (ZX-1 I think) was also pretty good. Those scare actors were really putting in the work!

Overall, I had a blast. I didn’t even make it to the back section of the park (where GASM and SMUF is) but I still enjoyed myself despite the heavy crowds. I wish I had gotten more pictures but my battery was extremely low by the time it got dark.

Ride Count—

Acro - 1x

Twisted Cyclone - 1x

Mine Train - 1x

Mind Bender - 2x

Batman - 1x

Goliath - 1x

6512EC5B-19F0-4F07-9973-5D710A780A2A.thumb.jpeg.d69aacb3017b46b8f744ab7271753f74.jpeg

I snapped this picture as soon as I got off the bus. I was soooo happy to see Acro back in operation!

C1F82A2A-4CE2-48E0-9FDC-66CEE022F3A0.thumb.jpeg.2e43fb11671644d1789a775d654cf96f.jpeg

The Goliath crew was dispatching trains like crazy!

B0FD168D-FC87-47AA-B8C1-A79CCB87C626.thumb.jpeg.2117e7fa52a25cac09272911d892a4b6.jpeg

The weather was perfect!

8B6277FF-1311-4A8D-A995-EA30142AAC57.thumb.jpeg.faa9db5973835b228d97ba232fce6cea.jpeg

No Frigh Fest trip is complete without a pic of the bloody fountain!

7C6A8D68-51A7-41AA-989F-EA641E600B85.thumb.jpeg.30e6c9e2e4f43ae46669f6f9bffd4f42.jpeg

Gotta love the spooky theming!

274FBAC2-E960-4F36-B327-01AB1FDBE157.thumb.jpeg.ae046006e5b5a1802ca78b5d6b13da8c.jpeg

More spooky theming!!

0BCE4A9A-8FBD-4BAD-9316-58E2A86408B7.thumb.jpeg.88d2e888ec30c82d9a8358d84588916d.jpeg

Even more!

F99C4396-A376-49E0-B1D9-8ABA096F791C.thumb.jpeg.d06cfb14d690d60432a3286a33f1f755.jpeg

I caught the Coffin Challenge contestants shortly after the challenge was over. Congrats to the 5 that made it through the 30 hours!

We went for a visit Sunday as well. The Diamond Elite haunt wristband plus the $10 upgrade to express option saved the day as the place was really full. It was also nice to experience more autumn-like weather. (I understand there will be a real chill in the air next weekend...)

Dr. Fright's Dead Man's party was short a couple of performers but in spite of that, the show is still really good and has been a fan favorite for decades.

The food and beverage lines were, as expected, obscene. I have noticed though that the Johnny Rockets location does a pretty good job of moving the line. We waited maybe 10-15 min for our meal. The extended Dining Pass hours really help. The theming and atmosphere at JD's Sports is outstanding! They really did a good job with the décor. If the food line there is horrendous, we simply get our meals from another location and enjoy!

Alien abduction is my pick for best haunt. The effects are well done and there are good scares in there. I would not recommend this one for young kids or the timid!

We will be back again this Friday the 19th and Sunday the 21st. Fright Fest has been lots of fun this year (so far)!