Favorite Dark Ride

P. 17 - What defines a dark ride?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I love pickles. No more comments neccesary.

Postby USRoadTripper » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:56 pm

I have a love/hate relationship with dark rides. I love a lot of them, but hate riding them for the first time! I have a horrible fear of being scared and fear of the unknown. Riding Haunted Mansion for the first time, I was petrified...then it was over and I felt so stupid for being so scared! And the first time I rode Snow White's Adventure's at Magic Kingdom...there's a place where the wicked queen is looking in the mirror, then she suddenly turns around and she's the hag...I just about wet myself!!! But after the first time, I knew it was coming and have been fine every time since.
On my last trip, I think I did four new-to-me dark rides...At Kennywood, I did Noah's Ark (hated it), Gold Rusher (was ok, with just a couple of scares) and Garfield's Nightmare (loved it...my kind of dark ride!) and the Whacky Shack at Waldameer (scared out of my mind as I rode, but decided it wasn't so bad once I was done).

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:18 am

coasterdude5 asked: "Do you HAVE to be in ACE to see the diagram?"

You have to be an ACE member to get RollerCoaster! Magazine.

My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Rastuso » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:50 am

The same diagram was in a recent issue of Barl of Fun, the official newsletter of the Darkride and Funhouse Enthusiasts. I am a charter member and a frequent writer for the newsletter.

Our website, www.dafe.org, has a complete list of dark rides in North America. Anyone that has some good ridethrough footage, I'd love to trade with you. I have a decent collection, including some walkthroughs that we have had at DAFE events.

Dark rides are having a bit of a Renaissance thanks to Sally. And of course rides like Darkastle and Mummy keep coming out.

As far as a great dark ride park, Rye is full of classic dark rides, with state-of-the-art stunts.

Everyone loves the Knoebels' Mansion, but for a true trip to the past, the Sylvan Beach Laffland (a bit East of Syracuse, NY) is a perfectly maintained classic Pretzel dark ride. It's like being at media day for a Pretzel in the 60s.

Rastus O'Ginga

Big Green Fuzzy

Postby Mystery » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:02 am

The best Darkride I ever did was in a Museum here in Holland (Yes, in a museum!)

It's just wonderfull, nice theming (Trains, it is in a train museum, so real trains...) and some nice suprise effects, Speedups, vertical drops and heat effects.

There sould be more like that one

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Do You Love Dark Rides

Postby ShannonSomerville » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:04 am

All I have to say is this. Curse of DarKastle at BGW is awesome. The Spiderman ride at IOA is pretty decent too. But the best one IMO is Scooby Doo and the Haunted Mansion at PKD. My niece always get the highest score everytime we get on. Take care. SES :o

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Ketchup » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:48 am

A brilliant dark ride on your first go is almost as good as an amazing coaster on your first go, however the novelty starts to wear off on dark rides as they are based around the story, atmosphere and theming compared to the adrenaline and forces that a good coaster delivers.

My favourite dark rides have to be

Hex: The Legend of the Towers at Alton Towers due to the setting and atmosphere even though on some of my most recent rides it has been wrecked to annoying girls screaming throughout the whole ride, which mutes out the brilliant soundtrack.

Phantom Manor at DLP Due to the fact it has so much to look at, and the attention to detail is superb.

and Spiderman at IOA Do I really have to explain why I think this is awesome? The 3D effects used and the fact how all your senses can detect something such as the smell of burning when the villian throws fire
at you to the various unique places and ways you are thrown around whilst on the ride.

Wisconsin state fair boy

Postby benzo41190 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:35 am

Uhhh those arent "dark rides" :lol: . Now they are ROLLER COASTER rides in the dark but not what a traditional dark ride would be. A dark ride would be something like Cat in the Hat @IOA or the Scooby Doo haunted mansions attractions done by sally corp.

Oh i guess your are right. Well then If coasters dont count, then I dont like ark rides.

BTW, the quotes are no working for me. Why do I get so dumb aroung summer time :x [/quote]

Postby it » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:38 am

I like haunted house rides :D !
Diego is not responsible if the post above offends you in any way....and if it does just deal with it! :twisted:

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:40 am

Rastuso wrote:Our website, www.dafe.org, has a complete list of dark rides in North America. Anyone that has some good ridethrough footage, I'd love to trade with you. I have a decent collection, including some walkthroughs that we have had at DAFE events.

I have full ride footage of Monster Plantation @ SFoG, Treasure Hint @ Myrtle Beach, and Haunted Hotel @ Myrtle beach but that footage didnt come out that well it was pretty dark in there.
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby Adam_C » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:16 am

Sorry to re-open a thread 2 years later, but Im new ;)

I like Pirates of the Caribbean, and definately Disneyland Paris' "Phantom Manor"

I used to like Toyland Tours at Alton Towers but it closed and became a new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory thing.

My favourite is probably the walk-thru dark ride Trauma Towers at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. The owner of the haunted hotel invites you to dinner, but the Baronial Dining Hall is on the other side of the hotel, so you have to walk through it, through spooky scenes like the library where the books slide in and out, as well as some general slopy floor haunted fun house style stuff. Then you get to the dining hall, sit around the dining table, and then you realise... it's a Tageda, hehe.

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!