TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Favorite Dark Ride

I love Spiderman and Transformers, but as far as dark rides go, Revenge of the Mummy (Orlando version) tops them all. This ride is absolute perfection. There's never a long wait, so we ride 2 or 3 times in a row on every visit.

2nd favorite: Haunted Mansion, WDW

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Universal Studio is pretty much king of Dark Rides. And I love most of them. Transformers, Spider Man, Gringotts, Forbidden Journey, Men In Black and ET (mostly because of its nostalgia) are all great rides. While Disney may have good ones, I think Universal's dark rides are more thrilling.

Some of my favourites:

Journey to the Center of the Earth - Tokyo DisneySEA

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Crystal Skull - Tokyo DisneySEA

Pirates of the Caribbean - Any of them

Pooh's Hunny Hunt - Tokyo Disneyland

The Paris and Tokyo Tower of Terror rides - Paris and Tokyo

Sindbad's Storybook Voyage - Tokyo DisneySEA

River Caves - Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Curse of DarKastle - Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Thomas's Party Parade - Fuji Q Highlands

Bla Taget - Grona Lund

• 1 year later...

^ Aw, crap, not this debate again.

My vote goes to Pooh's Hunny Hunt. It's absolutely mind-blowing. I understand the concept, I understand the execution. I work with the automation system that runs the ride, FFS. It still manages to make me sit back in awe.

I want to the Dark ride mecca, Orlando last year and honestly Spiderman was really good better than I thought it would be. It was the first dark ride that really was thrilling to me the ride felt a little rushed but it was a favorite from me. I left thinking "ok I know why this was rated the best dark rides in the country".

Some of my favourites:

Journey to the Center of the Earth - Tokyo DisneySEA

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Crystal Skull - Tokyo DisneySEA

Pirates of the Caribbean - Any of them

Pooh's Hunny Hunt - Tokyo Disneyland

The Paris and Tokyo Tower of Terror rides - Paris and Tokyo

Sindbad's Storybook Voyage - Tokyo DisneySEA

River Caves - Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Curse of DarKastle - Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Thomas's Party Parade - Fuji Q Highlands

Bla Taget - Grona Lund

Actually, this is a really good Faves List for me too, Neil. Although I must admit, I have not ridden Curse of DarKastle.

But you could maybe substiute DarKastle with the Supreme Dark Water ride .... Valhalla! That one, I would gladly get soaked on.

P.S. "Future Favourite Dark Ride": I am really hoping against hope, that the new Alice In Wonderland Attraction they install where It's a Small World used to be in Tokyo Disneyland, and supposedly will be moved over beside Tomorrowland where Autopia used to be, will:

A) Be Trackless vehicles that can now twist and tilt and go uphill and downhill!

B) Knowing Japan, maybe a 3 level ride, which will be inhabiting the old IAsW building...?

C) Be the same wonderful Caterpillar vehicles that made riding Alice in Disneyland such a special dark ride experience.

Like Mr.Road's Wild Ride vehicles did. They would work perfectly on a trackless motion base, like Ratatouille's etc.

In other words, an awesome amazing immersive ALICE dark ride, that could rival The Trip at the old Hard Rock Park (r.i.p.) And for families, too!

UK032_BlackpoolValhalla.jpg.d186afba300dc6a18cf76e08788a0158.jpg

My first view of Valhalla's awesome facade ~ TPR 2006 UK Tour.

• 11 months later...

Pirate of the Caribbean Battle for the sunken Treasure - Disney Resort Shanghai

Journey to the Center of the Earth - DisneySea Tokyo

Indiana Jones Adventure - Temple of the Crystal Skull - DisneySea Tokyo

Tower of Terror - DisneySea Tokyo

Sindbad's Storybook Voyage - DisneySea Tokyo

Harry Potter and the Forbbiden Journey - Universal Studios Japan

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - DisneySea Tokyo

Mystic Manor - Disneyland Hong Kong

The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man - Island of Adventure

Dinosaur - Animal Kingdom

Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid - Magic Kingdom

Sorry for the long list, Disney theme park in asia have much better dark rides than in USA

I am one who always hits up a dark ride if a park has one. Disney is leagues ahead of everyone else in this category, so naturally they have most of my favourites.

Disney (Disneyland Anaheim unless otherwise noted):

1. Pirates of the Caribbean

2. Haunted Mansion

3. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

4. Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage

5. Toy Story Midway Mania (DCA)

Non-Disney:

1. Calico Mine Ride (Knott's Berry Farm)

2. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey (USH)

3. Justice League: Battle for Metropolis (SFStL)

4. Transformers (USH)

5. Flooded Mine (SDC)

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst

I would like to add the one I rode at Linnanmaki Park in Helsinki, Finland, the last day of

the TRP 2014 Scandi Tour. It was an overhaul of an existing dark ride, which was pretty good,

especially at the end of it. But they did a complete renovation of the ride, including creating

an amazing entry facade.

And the new ride turned out to be pretty awesome, with a new ending, and a couple of

great surprises along the way.

The name of it is Kyöpelinvuoren hotelli.

2023797747_ResizeofIMG_6014.JPG.7ca9cf181929e998bf5cfd6fbe0d0ec9.JPG

Great entrance!

313496974_ResizeofIMG_6047.JPG.938b5f9fff6869dae6faef0e532ba203.JPG

Our school desks await.

587069741_ResizeofIMG_6087.JPG.080043b0b5450eb56395575732736ce2.JPG

Inside the queue - "That does sort of look like a Sorting Hat to me."

Other than crappy fair versions or what Moreys has done over the years (Dante's, etc) I have little experience with dark rides so I'm gonna go with Curse of Darkastle because I had no idea what to expect and was rather wow'd by it. Easily one of my favorite "new-to-me" rides I did this year.

Also shout out to Monster Mansion for all the detail, and length of the thing. Also Garfields Nightmare for just being absolutely WTF. I did Haunted Mansion (Orlando) as a kid and I juuuuust barely remember it.

I would like to add the one I rode at Linnanmaki Park in Helsinki, Finland, the last day of

the TRP 2014 Scandi Tour. It was an overhaul of an existing dark ride, which was pretty good,

especially at the end of it. But they did a complete renovation of the ride, including creating

an amazing entry facade.

Btw this ride got some slightly more "scary" scares added onto it recently with a few more cool effects, and in the scare-event there were live witches roaming around! (scare-event that wasn't at halloween because it would be too cold to have the park open on halloween)

• 8 months later...

^ Put those two together with Valhalla, at Blackpool and I'm a happy (definitely) wet rider!

P.S. Last time on Splash Mtn/DL, I got SOAKED after the little indoor 'coaster dip'! The bees!

I sat in front. But I remember it NOT happening like that before, which was some 20 years ago.

This actually shocked me.

In the dark, too.

• 3 months later...