TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

p. 118 - EPCOT Destination D23 news roundup!

They seem to be emphasizing the family friendly aspect of the Guardians coaster. It sounds like it might be almost a dark ride/coaster combo, something along the lines of the Harry Potter Gringotts Coaster. Would love to see Disney's that on that type of ride.

These Disney Parks Blog "news updates" are kind of hilarious to me, have any of the ones released today provided anything truly new or insightful? I mean this Guardians one looks like the exact same art/announcement from D23 last year, the only difference is they added the phrase "yes it is a coaster" hahaha.

It all kind of reminds me of the way movies are promoted these days, here's a teaser for the upcoming teaser, then there is the teaser trailer, then the preview of the official preview, and the official announcement of the official trailer release date, then the official release of the official trailer

I believe Orange Streak at MOA is the longest indoor coaster at 2,680 ft (820 m). It's an odd stat to throw out, but it's exciting that we're seeing more roller coasters at Disney parks.

It is an odd stat to throw out, but makes me think the coaster will be less than 3,000 feet.

Mindbender is the longest, and the new Gerstlauer at American Dream's new Nick park will be over 3,200ft by the time this is built. All the Space Mountains are longer than 3,000 feet, but none are listed as indoors on rcdb.com.

If the coaster is going to be longer than Space Mountain I think I would have been stated.

I believe Orange Streak at MOA is the longest indoor coaster at 2,680 ft (820 m). It's an odd stat to throw out, but it's exciting that we're seeing more roller coasters at Disney parks.

It is an odd stat to throw out, but makes me think the coaster will be less than 3,000 feet.

Mindbender is the longest, and the new Gerstlauer at American Dream's new Nick park will be over 3,200ft by the time this is built. All the Space Mountains are longer than 3,000 feet, but none are listed as indoors on rcdb.com.

If the coaster is going to be longer than Space Mountain I think I would have been stated.

Edmonton's Mindbender is 4198ft long.

It's interesting you all went to track length with the 'longest' comment, and I immediately thought of the Europa indoor coasters of Euro Sat and Euro Mir or USJ's Space Fantasy and thought about how long in DURATION they are.

Eurosat (about 3,000 ft) and The Rock and Roller Coasters (about 3,400 ft) are not listed on rcdb as indoor. Space Fantasy and Dinosaur Mountain (both about 2,000 ft) are not included as indoor on rcdb.

I have learned that rcdb indoor listing are not very inclusive.

EDIT: I did not realize rcdb had different listings for enclosed versus indoor coasters.

Edited by larrygator

It's interesting you all went to track length with the 'longest' comment, and I immediately thought of the Europa indoor coasters of Euro Sat and Euro Mir or USJ's Space Fantasy and thought about how long in DURATION they are.

Yeah, I agree with this. I can guarantee you that Disney doesn't think like the typical statistics spewing roller coaster nerd and it might end up being a super short track length with a really long "show" element!

Also, keep in mind they said "One of the longest..." so even if it was the 10th longest in track length, that is still "one of the longest..."

^^ It seems to me, that with a lot of the bigger "indoor attractions" that Disney does (i.e. Indy Jones Adventure, Pirates...)

the timing seems to start once you have either boarded your ride vehicle, or gone into one (or more) pre-show rooms

that are part of that attraction's experience (i.e Rock'n'Roller) with the ride itself, being The Finale of it all, etc. Or entered

the actual show building itself, which a lot of times, includes the queue within it.

Whatever the timing of it all is, the whole thing is certainly going to be something to enter into,

and experience, considering the size of space that Energy took up, screens, animatronics and all,.

I'm especially interested in the fact that it's going to be one of the longest indoor coasters in the world. I can't wait until more details are released on what type of ride system it will be.

I dunno, I smell a lot of marketing hype on this one....

First, the quote is "one of the world’s longest enclosed roller coasters". The "one of" portion leaves a LOT of room for wiggle. The fact that they don't specifically say "the world's longest" and instead say "one of the world's longest" implies that is is not the world's longest, but what does that mean? Top 2? Top 5? Top 10 longest? It really could fall into any of those categories.

Next, they specifically say "enclosed" as opposed to "indoors". Again, this is all marketing, but to me, enclosed implies a coaster that is contained within one building specifically designed to contain that ride and only that ride and essentially nothing else. This would include coasters like Space Mountain, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Flight of Fear, etc. However, in my opinion, this would NOT include indoor roller coasters that are part of a larger covered area such as the coasters in the Mall of America or the West Edmonton Mall. Going to RCDB, if you specifically look for coasters classified as "enclosed" and sort by length, 9 of the top 10 enclosed coasters (by length) are Disney coasters (2. Space Mountain [DL], 3. Space Mountain [TDL], 4. Hyperspace Mountain [HKD], 5. & 6 the two Rock 'n' Roller Coasters, 7. Hyperspace Mountain [DLP], 8. & 9 . Space Mountain [WDW], 10. TRON).

As such saying "one of the world’s longest enclosed roller coasters" could literally just mean "an enclosed coaster of similar length to all the other indoor coasters we have here on property and at Disney parks around the world"...

I am BEGGING for this coaster to get the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit treatment only theme it to Star-Lord's sh*tty Walkman (or Zune) and make the only options 1970's Cat Stevens and Cheap Trick songs that don't fit the situation at all. Come on Imagineers... make it happen. It would be the most "Guardians of the Galaxy" thing ever.

I am BEGGING for this coaster to get the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit treatment only theme it to Star-Lord's sh*tty Walkman (or Zune) and make the only options 1970's Cat Stevens and Cheap Trick songs that don't fit the situation at all. Come on Imagineers... make it happen. It would be the most "Guardians of the Galaxy" thing ever.

Switch Electric Light Orchestra for Cat Stevens, and I agree.

I dunno, I smell a lot of marketing hype on this one....

First, the quote is "one of the world’s longest enclosed roller coasters". The "one of" portion leaves a LOT of room for wiggle. The fact that they don't specifically say "the world's longest" and instead say "one of the world's longest" implies that is is not the world's longest, but what does that mean? Top 2? Top 5? Top 10 longest? It really could fall into any of those categories.

Who really cares and why does it even matter?

Next, they specifically say "enclosed" as opposed to "indoors". Again, this is all marketing, but to me, enclosed implies a coaster that is contained within one building specifically designed to contain that ride and only that ride and essentially nothing else. This would include coasters like Space Mountain, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Flight of Fear, etc. However, in my opinion, this would NOT include indoor roller coasters that are part of a larger covered area such as the coasters in the Mall of America or the West Edmonton Mall. Going to RCDB, if you specifically look for coasters classified as "enclosed" and sort by length, 9 of the top 10 enclosed coasters (by length) are Disney coasters (2. Space Mountain [DL], 3. Space Mountain [TDL], 4. Hyperspace Mountain [HKD], 5. & 6 the two Rock 'n' Roller Coasters, 7. Hyperspace Mountain [DLP], 8. & 9 . Space Mountain [WDW], 10. TRON).

Who really cares and why does any of this even matter?

As such saying "one of the world’s longest enclosed roller coasters" could literally just mean "an enclosed coaster of similar length to all the other indoor coasters we have here on property and at Disney parks around the world"...

And if that's the case.... ***GREAT*** because those are some of my favorite rides around the world and I have no reason to bitch, complain, or question it like you are because that sentence alone that you just said would make me excited enough even if it's not the fastest, longest, tallest, partially maybe fully enclosed who knows who cares roller coaster!

I honestly do not understand the need to pick apart *ONE SENTENCE* in an extremely brief announcement teaser that was meant to give little to no details on purpose.

Seriously, the roller coaster nerd syndrome like this just makes me hate roller coaster nerds even more.

Edited by robbalvey

Love that they are investing into roller coasters! Quite a hot streak of attractions that WDW has been investing in, very impressive.

Exactly! The fact that WDW would have gotten FOUR new roller coasters from 2014 - 2021 when they got a total of ZERO in those same number of years before hand is amazing! And with one of them being Tron, which we already know is fantastic, the other three could just be "filler" rides (which they are not) and it would still be quite possibly the best additions to WDW ever!

I’m surprised people are so focused on the worlds longest part. Disney have never really been ones to go for worlds longest or first whatever. Their rides and Ip s basically sell themselves anyway. At the end of the day that worlds longest is pretty much the least interesting bit. Enthusiasts will go because it’s a new Disney ride and the public will be most interested that it’s a marvel/gotg roller coaster.

• 2 weeks later...

The sheer volume of high quality new attractions/lands/shows being added (or in the case of Pandora and others, already added) to WDW over the next several years is really astonishing. I don't know if there has ever been this much quality growth and expansion at the parks all at one time.

The Guardians ride sounds fantastic. One of, if not my favorite, rides at UO is Mummy based on its wonderful blend of dark ride and coaster. I expect something similar (not in actual ride mechanics but in overall spirit) with the Guardians ride.