Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 612: "The Year of Shows & Festivals" details announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby Kevin Long » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:00 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:^ Trying to remember but I don't think they have cider at Christmas. I know there's hot chocolate and wassail.

^^ SDC is just the best in the Midwest at theming. I never realized how good they are until I started going to other parks and could see the difference. I hate to be "that guy" who thinks his local park is the best, but I think you could objectively make a case for it.

well, it is one of the few parks (SDC and DOLLYWOOD) around that is still themed in a consistent manner. by that I mean everything is themed for the entire park and genre of park. Most others that are non-Disney/universal have gone to IP theming per ride but nothing that is about the park itself.

SFSL used to be themed to the "6" flag theme and had areas representing the six flags the park was based on including appropriate music and foods based on the areas ... now it might as well be called DC comics Land.

I think there is a not so subtle line between "amusement park" and "Theme Park"

my two cents

K

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby ElvisLuv » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:19 pm

Kevin Long wrote:
ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Yes, Show Lovers Pass is available.

I'm with you on avoiding Young Christians Weekend and Southern Gospel Picnic, but what do you have against Old Time Christmas? That's one of the best Christmas events anywhere.

Thanks ---- Can't seem to find the show passes online - I hope I can get them day of somewhere or maybe they will be online in a few days.

well on a personal note I despise christmas so there is that.
I have heard/read of numerous HORROR stories of traffic and crowds at christmas there so for me it's a hard pass.

this will be my last visit down there this year. :(

K

Never, ever, go on Sat or the Friday after Thanksgiving weekend and if you are foolish enough to do it, only come from Kimberling City/Branson West. The major coaster lines are usually mild even when packed. Don't bother if it it's going to be under 40, they'll shut them down. The place empties out after the first parade. The nighttime rides are special.

All you can eat prime rib, lord yes.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:32 pm

Kevin Long wrote:Thanks ---- Can't seem to find the show passes online - I hope I can get them day of somewhere or maybe they will be online in a few days.

I didn't know they sold them online tbh. Just past the ticket booths, on your right across from the stroller rental is the Show Lover's Pass desk.

Postby Kevin Long » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:44 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:
Kevin Long wrote:Thanks ---- Can't seem to find the show passes online - I hope I can get them day of somewhere or maybe they will be online in a few days.

I didn't know they sold them online tbh. Just past the ticket booths, on your right across from the stroller rental is the Show Lover's Pass desk.

thanks, they usually have them as an add-on you can buy online - but it might be too early to set it up for the shows just yet. thanks for the tip I appreciate it.

K

Postby Kevin Long » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:47 pm

Well, no show passes were for sale on the two most recent days I attended the park - Wed and Thurs this week. No reason was given; but I really did not search one out as the older couple trying to buy "Branson Belle" tickets took about 20 minutes to select their seats and buy their tickets, by that time I had lost my will to live.

It turns out the wait times for the shows were not too horrible. The weather was very warm, so no hot wassail for me. Got my cider from the apple butter shop as usual. One thing is for sure, it is definitely rider season at the park. I got down to Outlaw run about 10:45 am and the queue timer said 0 min wait I saw a train with 2 people on it and no one in line. I bet I saw no more than 150 people under the age of 45 all day long. Over 50 years old, I bet the ridership drops pretty quickly. The exception is the Train it was mostly full every trip I saw.

Good relaxing trip. Overall my 3 trips down to the park this year were very good. If you are going more than two days a year to the park the seasons pass is a true bargain. My six days at the park this year were only $17.72 per day. A pretty good deal.

Kevin

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby mnreggie » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:38 pm

Hey all,

Visiting St Louis from the 3rd-8th for an industry conference and will no doubt visit the City Museum and perhaps the Arch.
My question: is it worth the drive to Branson for a Monday at SDC? What are crowds like this time of year?
It'd probably be a daylong/half day visit...

Thanks

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:42 pm

mnreggie wrote:My question: is it worth the drive to Branson for a Monday at SDC?

SDC is ALWAYS worth the drive. ALWAYS.

Crowds should be pretty light.
Bigger is not always better. (And anyone who has ridden Wonder Woman knows this is true!)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby mnreggie » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:50 pm

Noted, seems like an incredible park.
It's either that or Holiday World.... so... I'm rather torn.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:16 pm

mnreggie wrote:Noted, seems like an incredible park.
It's either that or Holiday World.... so... I'm rather torn.

2 hours at SDC is better than a whole day at Holiday World
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Postby sdcfan88 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:08 pm

mnreggie wrote:Hey all, My question: is it worth the drive to Branson for a Monday at SDC? What are crowds like this time of year?
It'd probably be a daylong/half day visit...

Might want to check your scheduling. The park is back to their Wed-Sun operations. https://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/Calendar

Crowds are gonna usually be light thru the week and are almost nonexistent for rides as the festivals are the main focus.
Last edited by sdcfan88 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:11 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!