Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 599: Duck Boat Accident Discussion
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What's with the donkeys anyway?

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby tinaalsgirl » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:28 am

ElvisLuv wrote:So, what are the songs. Maybe I've missed a couple and have forgottena couple

Clocks by Coldplay
Time after Time by Cyndi Lauper
Free Falling by Tom Petty
A Skynard song, Freebird?

I wanna say someone mentioned If I Could Turn Back Time by Cher as well.

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby Kevin Long » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:25 pm

Shavethewhales wrote:Flooded Mine has had a much harder time in the past few years. Lots of stuff simply has simply needed replacement for too long, and SDC can't seem to make up their minds about how much they want to spend on it or what they want to do with the ride as a whole. It was obvious years ago that they needed to increase it's budget to keep it running like it should but they chose not to.

I absolutely love the ride. It has always been something the entire family can really do together, from my grandmother to my little nieces and nephews. Besides the train, there's not many other activities we can all actively do together like that. I adore the effort that was put into the ride. So much handcrafted theming and depth. So many props, many of which are authentic. It's just a really solid attraction with a lot of love poured into it, and the recent challenges with maintenance don't tell the whole story about what the ride is or what it truly offers the park.

SDC just needs to go ahead and commit a couple million into modernizing the gun and target system and fixing the props that need fixing. They are too fixated on getting the next marketing gimmick though, so I fear they will simply gut it soon and replace it with a modern dark ride with screens instead of props. I think they are letting it die a slow death on purpose so there is less outrage when they do so.

I'll say one thing though, those "next level" rides like TT and OR sure have a lot of down-time lately, but FM keeps chugging along. Seems like the newer something is, the less reliable.

Ideally, for me- I would like to see a complete rework and restoration to its original glory; even so far as to removal of the loud obnoxious shooting game. as an Old codger, I can remember when there was a TON more water effects all over the outside of the queue line and even the long forgotten rock fall at the end where there was a sound of an explosion and many sponge (rocks) were dropped onto a wire mesh placed overhead just before the end section. it's not in horrible condition and for a few hundred grand, I bet you could really go a long way to making it a highlight of the park again. It does fit the Mining town theme of the park overall more than most any other attraction. I would be a shame to see it gone.

Kevin

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:05 pm

Silver Dollar City's Cowboy and Crafts Festival began today, and since I'm off on Wednesdays, I wandered down to Branson for some fun.

20180912_100933.jpg
Stop! Banner time.

I arrived at opening and rope dropped the saloon show. Oh, you thought I was going to say Time Traveler. Nah, man, this is Crafts Festival time, where the rides are walkons but you get your A$$ to the shows 45 minutes early if you don't want to sit in the back row.

Roots and Koontz is the best show SDC has ever done that has a name that sounds like beatboxing.

20180912_104124.jpg
Rootsandkoontzandrootsandkoontzandrootsandkoontz

20180912_105313.jpg
Audience participation bit, singing Bette Midler's "Sisters." The guy got into it too! Great fun.

Next up was the Wild West show. This is its last year, so come see it while you can! The hoop dancer alone is worth it.

There was a mishap during the noon show, the first performance of the year. The sharpshooter came in on a horse and during her entrance the horse tripped and fell. Both were okay, medical staff ran out immediately to check on her and the trick riders from the next act ran out to calm the horse. Perfectly done, everyone was ok and the show went on. Great job everyone!

20180912_120403.jpg
The hoop dancer was incredible.

20180912_121243.jpg
Yes, this is a dog and pony show.

20180912_121544.jpg
Pony looks a bit strange though.

20180912_122239.jpg
Shooting over her shoulder looking in a mirror. Yeah, this is AFTER she fell off a horse. Such a badass!

20180912_122411.jpg
The trick riders were great too.

20180912_122910.jpg
Yup, we're in Branson.

20180912_122945.jpg
Great show!

After the show, I went wandering looking for some good eats, when I stumbled upon this magnificent beauty:

20180912_124020.jpg
Christmas came early this year!

20180912_124436.jpg
And they have apple dumplings and ice cream too! Soooo good.

Okay, now you've been patient so far, but I'm sure you're thinking, "Wait, has he actually ridden any rides yet?" And the answer is Nope, not yet! That's right, 3 hours at SDC and I have a scorecard of 2 shows, 1 lunch, and 0 rides. And I am having a blast, because that's the sort of park this is.

But remember how I told you earlier that this time of year all the rides are walkons? Behold, a feast for your eyes:

20180912_131205.jpg

20180912_131920.jpg

20180912_135249.jpg

The park wasn't empty, it's just that everyone is there for the shows and crafts. I don't have photos of the craft booths, because there were signs all over saying no photos, and I can appreciate that. They're trying to sell stuff. Lots of cool things though, you can take my word for it or come see for yourself!

Of course I couldn't leave without a visit to everyone's favourite cave in a theme park, Marvel Cave!

20180912_151108.jpg
Despite repeated warnings, I went chasing waterfalls.

20180912_152214.jpg

20180912_152355.jpg

20180912_152722.jpg
Front row on the tram! About to blast out of this here hole in the ground and rocket toward a gift shop.

This is a great time of year to visit the park. The crafts are front and center, both the year round crafters and plenty of local artisans as well. Plus, look at those queue photos and tell me that's not beautiful.

Postby Kevin Long » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:25 pm

I am going down to the park next week for a couple days and I can't wait. Best season pass investment I have ever made. I can squeeze in a trip every few months and depending on gas prices do an entire 2-3 day trip to the park for under $300.00 all in. I think fall is my favorite time of year there. I highly recommend any of the festivals, except the religious ones and christmas.

Are show passes available for this festival? does anyone know?

K

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:33 pm

Yes, Show Lovers Pass is available.

I'm with you on avoiding Young Christians Weekend and Southern Gospel Picnic, but what do you have against Old Time Christmas? That's one of the best Christmas events anywhere.

Postby Kevin Long » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:39 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Yes, Show Lovers Pass is available.

I'm with you on avoiding Young Christians Weekend and Southern Gospel Picnic, but what do you have against Old Time Christmas? That's one of the best Christmas events anywhere.

Thanks ---- Can't seem to find the show passes online - I hope I can get them day of somewhere or maybe they will be online in a few days.

well on a personal note I despise christmas so there is that.
I have heard/read of numerous HORROR stories of traffic and crowds at christmas there so for me it's a hard pass.

this will be my last visit down there this year. :(

K

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:45 pm

Ok, then I get it. They really go nuts on Christmas, so if that isn't your thing, you wouldn't enjoy it. Have some wassail while you're there. It's by the Lost River. Always one of the best things about the Christmas festival, so excited they're bringing it out early this year.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:46 pm

Man, you're so lucky to be so close to parks like SDC, Andrew!
I have Fright Nights coming up in Playland, but honestly there's no comparison
when it comes to Seasonal Theming and Events in parks like this one.

#GreenEnvyHERE
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby Kevin Long » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:50 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Ok, then I get it. They really go nuts on Christmas, so if that isn't your thing, you wouldn't enjoy it. Have some wassail while you're there. It's by the Lost River. Always one of the best things about the Christmas festival, so excited they're bringing it out early this year.

I do like some cider, especially there. in my youth they sold it at a stand like other soda's etc. Now you can only buy it by the bottle at the apple butter shack or in wine type bottles in the general store or gift shop on the way out...

K

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:24 pm

^ Trying to remember but I don't think they have cider at Christmas. I know there's hot chocolate and wassail.

^^ SDC is just the best in the Midwest at theming. I never realized how good they are until I started going to other parks and could see the difference. I hate to be "that guy" who thinks his local park is the best, but I think you could objectively make a case for it.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!