Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 612: "The Year of Shows & Festivals" details announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby Chiselphane » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:12 pm

Shavethewhales wrote:As for the music, I'm sure it was tough to get the licenses just to play those tunes in the park. It would take way more effort than it's worth to release a CD.

I did specify the licensing issue. I mean things more like Fire in The Hole's soundtrack, for example. Stuff that SDC would own outright. Ah well, dreams and Youtube it is.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby ElvisLuv » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:08 pm

So, what are the songs. Maybe I've missed a couple and have forgottena couple

Clocks by Coldplay
Time after Time by Cyndi Lauper
Free Falling by Tom Petty
A Skynard song, Freebird?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:44 pm

Yes, all those, and Jim Croce's "Time in a Bottle" too. There are more than that, but those are the ones I can remember.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby bachir » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:04 am

Big fan of SDC, as I wrote before my family tries to make the drive at least once a year to this great park. Is it sacrilege to suggest a Flooded Mine replacement? Neat ride with a ton of history but terribly outdated. Plus the capacity is sub par.

Seems like the one thing missing from the park (and Dolly too) is a fantastic dark ride. I don't count Fire in the Hole as a dark ride, its a coaster. When you look at 'Next Level' type rides like Outlaw and Time Traveler that are now being introduced to the park, Flooded Mine really doesn't hold up.

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:31 am

bachir wrote:Big fan of SDC, as I wrote before my family tries to make the drive at least once a year to this great park. Is it sacrilege to suggest a Flooded Mine replacement? Neat ride with a ton of history but terribly outdated. Plus the capacity is sub par.

Seems like the one thing missing from the park (and Dolly too) is a fantastic dark ride. I don't count Fire in the Hole as a dark ride, its a coaster. When you look at 'Next Level' type rides like Outlaw and Time Traveler that are now being introduced to the park, Flooded Mine really doesn't hold up.

Idk... Part of me is like "Meh, if they get rid of Flooded Mine... Oh well." and the other half of me is like "There is no way they are ever going to get rid of that ride. It's such a family friendly classic."

It's one of the few rides in the park that nearly every member of every family can enjoy together. SDC is so big on families, and "creating family memories for generations to come" that I find it hard to believe they would remove such a family friendly ride to replace it with something that may not be as easily accessible for as many people as Flooded Mine is. Then again the ride is SUPER old, and I'm sure has it's own problems that we aren't aware...

So... Idk how to feel about the idea of the removal of Flooded Mine... I'm super on the fence about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Bigger is not always better. (And anyone who has ridden Wonder Woman knows this is true!)

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:39 am

bachir wrote:Plus the capacity is sub par.

What are you smoking? They have 25 at a time on each boat-train and can run at least 3 boat-trains. There may be more in there too, not sure how many. They also have a grouper permanently just to make sure it fills up. I mean, short of an Omnimover there aren't many dark rides with better capacity than that.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Shavethewhales » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:18 pm

Flooded Mine has had a much harder time in the past few years. Lots of stuff simply has simply needed replacement for too long, and SDC can't seem to make up their minds about how much they want to spend on it or what they want to do with the ride as a whole. It was obvious years ago that they needed to increase it's budget to keep it running like it should but they chose not to.

I absolutely love the ride. It has always been something the entire family can really do together, from my grandmother to my little nieces and nephews. Besides the train, there's not many other activities we can all actively do together like that. I adore the effort that was put into the ride. So much handcrafted theming and depth. So many props, many of which are authentic. It's just a really solid attraction with a lot of love poured into it, and the recent challenges with maintenance don't tell the whole story about what the ride is or what it truly offers the park.

SDC just needs to go ahead and commit a couple million into modernizing the gun and target system and fixing the props that need fixing. They are too fixated on getting the next marketing gimmick though, so I fear they will simply gut it soon and replace it with a modern dark ride with screens instead of props. I think they are letting it die a slow death on purpose so there is less outrage when they do so.

I'll say one thing though, those "next level" rides like TT and OR sure have a lot of down-time lately, but FM keeps chugging along. Seems like the newer something is, the less reliable.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby bachir » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:58 am

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:

What are you smoking? They have 25 at a time on each boat-train and can run at least 3 boat-trains. There may be more in there too, not sure how many. They also have a grouper permanently just to make sure it fills up. I mean, short of an Omnimover there aren't many dark rides with better capacity than that.

As I said, we only go once a year so my perspective is probably skewed. But on my visit, it took an eternity to load and unload. We were also backed up for quite a while at last scene (the boat with cannons) trying to get back into the show building.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Jaykethekid » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:06 pm

bachir wrote:
ytterbiumanalyst wrote:

As I said, we only go once a year so my perspective is probably skewed. But on my visit, it took an eternity to load and unload. We were also backed up for quite a while at last scene (the boat with cannons) trying to get back into the show building.

That tends to happen when you get a bunch of groups in one train (or would it be call a line of boats?) that don't understand "Please sit on a red dot, two in the front, one in the middle, two in the back, and adults sit on the opposite sides of the boat to balance things out" Or you get the group of kids who sit backwards, stick their hands in the water, and grab onto the station railings when dispatching. That tends to cause *some* issues.

Though i have noticed they are running 2 to 3 trains this year compared to the last few seasons. They used to have enough trains running where you could see the other train on the opposite side of the scene with the mine carts and the warden. Not sure how to describe that scene.

Really, the main issue i have with flooded mine is more the broken audio than physical props. Other than the runaway saw blade scene, and a few water pumps and props that have stopped working, most of the physical theming is in acceptable condition. Cant say the same for the audio. The soundtrack is 100% gone, and the dialogue in a few scenes doesn't work anymore (mainly the sleeping guard scene towards the end of the ride). Its just awkwardly quiet in the ride. All you can here is trickling water and the laser sounds from the guns.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/a119863cb40d603ccb6f817858d7c1d5.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:43 pm

sdcfan88 wrote:...Personal preference I am still hoping for is something new from B&M, GCI, or even another Mack of some variety...

I'm still holding on to hope that SDC will eventually get an amazing terrained B&M Flying coaster. :lover:
Bigger is not always better. (And anyone who has ridden Wonder Woman knows this is true!)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!