Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 599: Duck Boat Accident Discussion
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:12 am

You missed the point. The question was whether SDC had a good enough relationship with Mack to get a second ride from them. My answer was that Time Traveler is the second ride.
Last edited by ytterbiumanalyst on Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:21 am.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby ElvisLuv » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:59 am

We have done this conversation before.

The pattern was large Capex purchases in pairs from a single manufacturer. To play this game, you have to include the now closed Celebration City.

Two Arrows, Thunderation at SDC, Tenn Tornado at DW
Two S&S Giant Swings at each
Two GCI woodies, Thunderhead at DW, Ozark Wildcat (RIP) at CC
There was to be Gerstlauer Euro fighter at SDC. The recession and reevaluation of the euro put that off, the Second gerstlauer came in the form of Firechaser Express
There was a large gap between Wildfire and Wild Eagle but there is a pair of B&Ms now.
Two Mack splash battles.
Two RMCS

You even saw Manby at Seas buy a bulk order of Premiere Sky Rockets:)

There is a clone of Fire in the Hole at DW and once a Flooded Mine as well.
A pair of Waterboggins as well.

Now, SDC and Dollywood have recieved unique to them rides.

Buzzsaw Falls at SDC was deemed a dog and replaced with S&S modified replacement Power keg.

Who can forget the topple tower fiasco at DW. Some of the new additions have come as replacements of fairly new attractions. I mentioned Power Keg but Firechaser knocked down a newish ropes course.

I have never really bought into the Dollywood is the pet park belief. If Celebration City had made it, Dolly wouldn't have much of an edge on overall number of attractions when you consider it from a combined view of SDC and CC. CC closing gave Dolly the edge. I m of the firm belief that Herschend has let Whitewater fall way behind but until Branson gets some serious comp on that front, they'll milk that cash cow feeding it the minimal amount of hay. Now, I'm waiting of the SDC resort but there a few more issues that seem to hinder that, infrastructure and the two existing parks being separated being the biggest.

I think that within the past 5 years the realization that SDC and Dollywood are becoming more of destination parks and not just regional park and that the days of copycat rides or a pair of coasters by the same maker at the same time may be over and going forward, more differentiation. I would love to see a Star Flyer at SDC for the views it would offer up. Niether park has a true steel hyper either. I think the next u announced coaster at one of the parks will be a Mack or Vekoma hyper or maybe one park gets Mack and the other a Vekoma.

I think Dollywood's removed Splash Battle appears in Valdosta at Wild Adventures soon.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby TEDodd » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:17 pm

Yes, River Battle is gone. Big plaza with astro turf and a fountain there now.
Last edited by TEDodd on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:34 am.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby bachir » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:58 am

We travel to SDC once a year, what a gem that park is. Obviously well run, and well managed.

I'm wondering why they've never built an on site resort (or nearby resort)? Similar to the Dream resort at Dollywood. No doubt they've probably done the ROI and it doesn't make sense. Or maybe its land. I think a resort is something that makes SDC a destination park. You could argue it already is one.

The playground is where I spend most of my days

Postby UrbanLegend » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:01 am

I'll be headed to SDC for the first time this fall, going to Thanksgiving in Springfield. Our options are the Friday, Saturday, or Sunday after Turkey Day. I assume all of these will be terribly crowded, but which of the three would be the least terrible? Also, would the basic Trailblazer 8-ride pass be worth it? Thanks!
-Did you just say you have the right to be an attorney?
-Well, everyone has the right to be an attorney, if they want to.

I make music: https://tigercastle.bandcamp.com

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby ElvisLuv » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:12 am

bachir wrote:We travel to SDC once a year, what a gem that park is. Obviously well run, and well managed.

I'm wondering why they've never built an on site resort (or nearby resort)? Similar to the Dream resort at Dollywood. No doubt they've probably done the ROI and it doesn't make sense. Or maybe its land. I think a resort is something that makes SDC a destination park. You could argue it already is one.

They actually have a rv park and log cabins nearby. The topography of the area is challenging plus the road system is nottlenecked. There can be hours long delays on 76 to the park especially busy Saturdays.

The old Celebration City Site is still owned by them. They could build a resort and all new water park right there if they so chose to. Whitewater is leased land from the city of Branson.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Shavethewhales » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:33 am

bachir wrote:We travel to SDC once a year, what a gem that park is. Obviously well run, and well managed.

I think the only thing keeping them from getting their own resort is infrastructure. They could build one today out at the old Celebration City property... but that wouldn't be close to any of their existing properties so they would have to run shuttles all over town. Out at SDC you have difficult topography, limited roads, and probably undersized sewer and water lines. The road is already a huge problem and has massive backups on many busy weekends. I'm not sure what they could do to fix that, but it's not going to happen soon.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:27 am

The road is still a bottleneck, TBS, but it is now 4 lanes all the way from Indian Point Rd. to 465, amd that has helped a lot. Widening 76 further to say having 2 left turn lanes onto Indian Point would be very expensive, since they'd have to deal with that bluff to the north. They can't widen to the south because of the cemetery. I mean, it's possible to move a cemetery, but "SDC dug up Grandma" isn't exactly the PR they want.

I always wondered why they didn't purchase some land farther south on Indian Point. There must have been a good reason. I imagine the original aim when they and Shepherd of the Hills were buying up as much as they could in the 60s was to get some of that. The lakeshore really would have been ideal for resort hotels, but since it's all built up, they'd have to fork over some serious cash to buy an existing resort now.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Chiselphane » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:52 am

bachir wrote:
ElvisLuv wrote:
garyman6 wrote:I just returned from my first trip to SDC and I have to say that I absolutely loved the park!! The ride ops were great, the food was great, the scenery, the rides, the staff, everything I experienced was top notch. I've read some of the comments made recently about flooded mine and fire in the hole. Yes, they need some TLC! but as a first time rider I really enjoyed them alot. I was there for a day and a half and we didn't even see one show but we never waited in line for more than 30 min and that was on the river rapids ride. It was very hot! I appreciated the water misters around the park and the heavily wooded terrain. Very few times did we have to walk in direct sunlight. I came from Minnesota just to ride Time Traveler and it did not disappoint. The station was air conditioned, the train cars were beautiful and very comfortable to sit on and the ride itself was so unique. It was down once while we were there but it's a new ride, all new rides have bugs that need to be worked out. My biggest surprise was Outlaw Run. I wondered why the leg restraints but after riding it I now understand! So much force and speed and super smooth. The rest of the coaster line up was also pretty great. Wildfire has such an amazing view from the top! Powder Keg has a great launch and even Thunderation was really a fun mine train coaster. I thought the park had a pretty descent line up of flat ride although they could use one or two more.
Branson should be thanking their lucky stars for SDC!! The town itself was O.K. if you like sitting in traffic and looking at all the attractions. I was really surprised to see several old closed down attractions and hotels.
I came back to Minnesota and have been raving about SDC and telling everyone that they should go! I'm telling you local folks that you have a gem of a park. Yes, it needs some TLC but its a winner. My home park is a Cedar Fair park, Valleyfair! It's a nice park but pales in comparison to the charm that SDC has.

The strip has actually got better in the past couple of years. The lighting package around Time Traveler at night is very nice. Can't wait till later in the year to catch it at night again. The bluegrass version of Clocks by Coldplay is my favorite played while in queue. Thunderation at night is like Expedition Everest, another experience. Well, all the coasters are really.

Actually enjoyed quite a few songs in the TT queue. It'd be great if a loop showed up somewhere on-line

I've felt for a long time that parks that use their own 'in-house' music for theming would probably do enough business selling the soundtrack on a CD to be worth the effort. Obviously if it's licensed that's a different story, but I'm sure you get what I mean. My kids would have loved to hear some of the tracks from Story Land in New Hampshire, for example. Disney has put out a couple story books that include a single track CD of the ride music from Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean, I would like to see more!

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Shavethewhales » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:20 am

They already rebuilt a small section of the road and moved an entire hill to do so. Earthwork isn't the challenge is used to be, though it is still somewhat expensive. They could easily widen the road without harming the cemetery. The problem is that SDC is the only real draw in that area, and I'm not sure MoDOT wants to be seen as playing favorites by widening their driveway for them. I'd rather they focus on the economic development aspect of it though, as moving people quickly between SDC and Branson means more $$$ spent on both ends.

As for the music, I'm sure it was tough to get the licenses just to play those tunes in the park. It would take way more effort than it's worth to release a CD.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!