Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 599: Duck Boat Accident Discussion
Users viewing this topic: monotone and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:37 pm

sublimeairtime wrote:I visited SDC for the first time on Friday, and I can't understand why there isn't more hype for Time Traveler! Back row is an amazing ride, with one of the best first drops out there.

Powder Keg was also a very pleasant surprise!

Glad you had a good time! You'll hear more buzz this summer. A lot of enthusiasts wait until daily operations for their trips, and that starts in just a couple of weeks now. About that time, too, area schools start to let out for summer and the Branson tourist season begins. Once more people have a chance to ride it, you'll start seeing trip reports. I know several members here are planning to come out this way this summer.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Hmrapp » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:35 pm

The abrupt launch surprised me, as well as many others. Although, it allows the rider to catch their breathe, it doesn't look to deter from the ride in anyway. I've heard that the s-curve before the zero-g-roll is one of the most surprising elements on the coaster. The ride itself looks amazingly themed, and overall a great investment for SDC.
RCDB Freak. Perception is an illusion altered by instinctual conformity. :devil:

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby TEDodd » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:05 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:You have misquoted me. I didn't say that.

Ugh. How'd that get I there?

Most forums I'm on don't do multilevel quotes automatically, so I expected where you were quoted to be stripped when I quoted the post.

Corrected.

I donut like this custom title :(

Postby yay101 » Fri May 04, 2018 8:59 am

I'm very certain I will be going to Silver Dollar City this year! However I've read reports online saying that traffic in Branson was really bad though. Is this true and how can I combat it?
Favourite Coaster: SkyRush
Other Favourites: Storm Chaser, Lightning Run, Blue Streak (CP), Voyage, Alpengeist, Apollo's Chariot, Phoenix, Goliath (SFGAm), Storm Runner, Raptor (CP), and Magnum XL-200

KD's Shockwave>KD's Delirium

If Magnum XL-200 dies we riot

May the force of Hello Kitty be with you

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby ElvisLuv » Fri May 04, 2018 10:19 am

yay101 wrote:I'm very certain I will be going to Silver Dollar City this year! However I've read reports online saying that traffic in Branson was really bad though. Is this true and how can I combat it?

Learn the back roads inside and out on Google earth, get to SDC very early on busy days (Sat and Sun), possibly come in fom the west if not. The lights on 76 cause the back ups, why MDOT hadn't addressed these issues is mind boggling.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Chiselphane » Fri May 04, 2018 1:39 pm

ElvisLuv wrote:
yay101 wrote:I'm very certain I will be going to Silver Dollar City this year! However I've read reports online saying that traffic in Branson was really bad though. Is this true and how can I combat it?

Learn the back roads inside and out on Google earth, get to SDC very early on busy days (Sat and Sun), possibly come in fom the west if not. The lights on 76 cause the back ups, why MDOT hadn't addressed these issues is mind boggling.

This is great advice and depending on traffic, it can even be worth your while if you are coming from the east to drive past the left turn lanes to SDC then pull a u-turn further down the road and approach it from the west.

There are some great hotel/motels in Indian Point, which is the peninsula directly south of the park. That's my personal ideal place to stay, you avoid downtown Branson completely but it's still close enough if you want to head over for an evening. There's a wide price variety too; while you would likely find a better overall deal downtown, some of the mom n pop places are comparative in value, at least depending on season (we avoid going in the midst of summer so YMMV)

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri May 04, 2018 2:35 pm

Awesome! Those reports are absolutely true. When the Chinese government was looking for ideas for creating their week-long traffic jams, they went to Branson for inspiration.

AVOID 76. Do not stay on 76. There are plenty of properties on Shepherd of the Hills Blvd., Green Mountain Dr. that are just as cheap, but you can make a left turn from them. For nicer properties, the Table Rock Dam area has the Welk and Wyndham resorts, and you can use 265 & 165 to get there from SDC. They're nowhere near 76, and that's a selling point.

Eventually you'll probably want to see something on 76, but use Gretna, Roark Valley, or Fall Creek in addition to the aforementioned Shepherd of the Hills and Green Mountain to get as close as possible before getting onto 76. That way you'll only spend about 10 minutes going the last couple of blocks.

If you want to go from SDC to Branson Landing or other sites downtown, take the Ozark Mountain Highroad (bypass/freeway) and then go south on 65. Yes, it's like 10 miles longer. Yes, it's faster.

Branson has the worst traffic on Earth. That's what happens when you get so excited to have 2 million visitors a year that you completely fail to plan your town in any way at all.
Last edited by ytterbiumanalyst on Fri May 04, 2018 3:54 pm.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby thedlr » Fri May 04, 2018 3:44 pm

Thanks. This is all great info that I'm also going to need. We've decided to visit during Moonlight Madness, which might also be madness in general, but I'm super excited. Worst case, I always use Waze to varying degrees of success.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri May 04, 2018 3:57 pm

^ Oh great! That's a fantastic way to maximise your time at SDC. It is the peak of tourist season; budget for Trailblazer Pass (skip the line system). Fortunately, the extra hours means you can use the Trailblazer Pass longer. I'd say get it one day and ride everything lots, then use the second day for shows and cave tour. Cinnamon bread of course should be enjoyed both days.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby tinaalsgirl » Fri May 04, 2018 4:10 pm

There are also some pretty nice places to stay on Indian Point Road past SDC (I personally love Still Waters Resort), so if you stay at one of those, you can avoid traffic on the day(s) you go to the park because you'll be coming up Indian Point Road instead of down it like everyone else.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!