Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 599: Silver Dollar City Moonlight Madness 2018 details!
Users viewing this topic: Bobby2889, Google Adsense [Bot], Shavethewhales and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
This button makes my penis erect.

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby DJeXeL » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:25 pm

Looks excellent! Thanks for the video, Robb.
Last edited by DJeXeL on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:31 pm.
- Insane In The Lift Chain -

"You shut your mouth when you talk to me"

Favorite element on SkyRush is the Stengel Dive!

Postby BDG » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:26 pm

That might just be the most fun ride at the park. Love how smooth and gentle it is. Very family-friendly and it gives you time to appreciate the crazy movements and unique views.

Great footage! The shots of that sideways loop, wow. :o

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:37 am

chickenbowl wrote:Any reviews from people that have actually ridden it yet?

I'm sure there will be once the park opens to the public. :lol: Fortunately, there's only about 6 more hours of offeason left.

robbalvey wrote:I will have a lot more to say later, but for right now, here's the video we put together! The ride was GREAT!

Looks great! That station is incredible; LOVE the moving gears.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby sdcfan88 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:52 am

Heading up to the park right now, hard to believe after two years of documenting the construction process I am finally getting to ride this thing. Pretty stoked! :b

I am loving all the footage that came out from the media event yesterday. I will post my review later on.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby bluestreak » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:03 am

This thing is gaining attention here in Cleveland. Considering that we have Steel Vengeance not even an hour to our west, it's pretty impressive that time traveler is being talked about here.
Ride looks great. Can't wait to eventually get back to SDC to ride.
Steel: 150 Wood: 57 Total: 207

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby The Yeti » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:50 am

Wow! This looks incredible. Cobra’s Curse surprised me this winter and it got me really excited for Time Traveler. Now this video has me absolutely pumped!!!

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby JayTricky » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:52 am

Holy hell. I never thought I'd see the day a spinning coaster as good as this.

I donut like this custom title :(

Postby yay101 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:39 am

For me personally, while Time Traveller looks like a fun ride, it doesn't look like it would blow me away personally. It doesn't spin a whole lot and the elements just look like average elements. I think it's an innovative layout that used the terrain well, but it doesn't look like it'll do more for me than a typical modern looping coaster would. That is my opinion and I respect everyone else's opinions, and it DOES look fun and I want to try it, but for me Time Traveller doesn't look like it will blow me away like a lot of people say, and it is a bit too overhyped in my eyes. Nevertheless I still think it is a unique and clever addition to Silver Dollar City and does look like a good ride, just not a fantastic ride like a lot of people are saying.
Favourite Coaster: SkyRush
Other Favourites: Storm Chaser, Lightning Run, Blue Streak (CP), Voyage, Alpengeist, Apollo's Chariot, Phoenix, Goliath (SFGAm), Storm Runner, Raptor (CP), and Magnum XL-200

KD's Shockwave>KD's Delirium

If Magnum XL-200 dies we riot

May the force of Hello Kitty be with you

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Shavethewhales » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:14 am

Its certainly a paradox of a coaster that is confusing to set expectations for. It looks very much like an extreme thrill coaster, but seems to actually provide a family-friendly ride experience if you can handle the drop and loops. Usually you would see parks wanting either something that is obviously gentle or obviously extreme, but SDC took a gamble here and went with something they think will have lasting allure to a broader audience.

I also think it's obvious that they went through several design iterations, as evidenced by some changes in the layout of the survey markers and other things early on. That's typically how projects like this go. It would not surprise me at all to learn that the original design was much more thrilling, but cost overruns and other factors made them move things around. The launch segments both seem like they were holdovers from an original design that used them perhaps more effectively. $26 million is a ton to spend for a coaster like this, and a lot of that went straight into the ground just to make the slopes stable.

It's also clear from a lot of the GP response that they are under pressure here to convince riders that it isn't going to be an ultra-extreme spin-till-you-puke ride, while at the same time playing up how unique and record-breaking it is.

What we are left with is a frankenstein of gentle and thrill elements, and somehow it seems to work out beautifully to create a distinct character for this ride that sets it apart and will have lasting value. There will be rides that follow this one that are much more extreme, but will they be as re-rideable, or have the same old simple fun factor?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:19 am

I absolutely LOVED the video, Robb! Looks incredibly fun and unique! I love that every ride on it will be different. Definitely looking forward to this. :br
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!