Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 569 - TPR's Time Traveler POV Video!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I love donkeys more than me.

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby Shavethewhales » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:11 pm

^I don't know why you would gag on it, I think it looks cleaner. A lot of those excess members on traditional woodies seem to be in place just to counter the wind loads, and over time they tend to warp and make the structure look cruddy (e.g. SOB). This structure is cleaner and makes the individual members look bigger and stronger, continuing the vibe that everything on this coaster is bigger and better than the traditional woodies. Just my thoughts anyway...

Thanks for the photos again Chadster. Anyone hear anything on a track completion date? I know there was the possibility of starting testing by late November at one point...

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:24 pm

^They hope to have the circuit completed this week, then they have place the cover/top on and they seem to be about 20% complete with that. The chain, electrical, sensors, transfer table, ride system also still needs to be installed. Purely from appearance it looks as if it could be done by Nov 1, but one never knows as they spent a ton of time on track alignment on NTAG.

Shavethewhales wrote:the individual members look bigger and stronger
that's what she said!

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby B&MIntaminGCI » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:03 pm

That picture and a few other of the low lying turns with only 1 wooden support holding them up have me really uneasy. Just doesn't seem like it can hold the forces of the trains, especially in the turns when there will be higher G's. 1 crack that goes un-noticed can end in disaster.

Other than that, the ride looks outstanding and crazy. I can't wait to hear the reviews and to see testing footage.

The playground is where I spend most of my days

Postby UrbanLegend » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:11 am

I really hope there wouldn't be any forces on the brake run that would necessitate stronger supports. Also, do you really think that RMC doesn't know what they're doing? They probably planned the hell out of this ride. Gotta make a good first impression (as far as wooden coasters go).
-Did you just say you have the right to be an attorney?
-Well, everyone has the right to be an attorney, if they want to.

I make music: https://tigercastle.bandcamp.com

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:48 am

coasterfreak101 wrote:Right, okay. So it's a double-down and -up, but not in the traditional sense. It just so happens to go down twice and up twice, more or less.

Basically, yeah. I'm pretty sure that the double-down counts as long as the second valley is lower and that the double-up counts as long as the second valley is higher.

As for the structure, low-to-ground turns probably don't need as much support because there's not much distance between the connection point and the ground. The members are most likely stronger in those places.

I'm not going to humiliate myself again, thank you very much!
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Postby chadster » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:42 am

Just received an email from the park.....all of the track is now in place! Of course the top cover plate must still be attached to the majority if the ride but this is exciting news! Could testing begin before the cold winter sets in? Maybe!

More info can be found at www. Silverdollarcity2013.com
Last edited by chadster on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:47 am.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby rcrider4 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:43 am

I didn't see anyone else post this, but SDC just announced that they finished the track work: link

Edit:
chadster wrote:Just received an email from the park.....all of the track is now in place! Of course the top cover plate must still be attached to Tue majority if the ride but this is exciting news! Could testing begin before the cold winter sets in? Maybe!

More info can be found at www. Silverdollarcity2013.com

Dangit. I thought I would be the first to post it, and then you go and post it just before me :P

Postby chadster » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:48 am

;)

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:16 am

chadster wrote:;) FIRSTIES!

Fixed.

Guy "Your Welcome." Koepp

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Bobby2889 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:28 am

I wish those pics were larger, new angles and such that would be great to inspect.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!