TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

The road is still a bottleneck, TBS, but it is now 4 lanes all the way from Indian Point Rd. to 465, amd that has helped a lot. Widening 76 further to say having 2 left turn lanes onto Indian Point would be very expensive, since they'd have to deal with that bluff to the north. They can't widen to the south because of the cemetery. I mean, it's possible to move a cemetery, but "SDC dug up Grandma" isn't exactly the PR they want.

I always wondered why they didn't purchase some land farther south on Indian Point. There must have been a good reason. I imagine the original aim when they and Shepherd of the Hills were buying up as much as they could in the 60s was to get some of that. The lakeshore really would have been ideal for resort hotels, but since it's all built up, they'd have to fork over some serious cash to buy an existing resort now.

I just returned from my first trip to SDC and I have to say that I absolutely loved the park!! The ride ops were great, the food was great, the scenery, the rides, the staff, everything I experienced was top notch. I've read some of the comments made recently about flooded mine and fire in the hole. Yes, they need some TLC! but as a first time rider I really enjoyed them alot. I was there for a day and a half and we didn't even see one show but we never waited in line for more than 30 min and that was on the river rapids ride. It was very hot! I appreciated the water misters around the park and the heavily wooded terrain. Very few times did we have to walk in direct sunlight. I came from Minnesota just to ride Time Traveler and it did not disappoint. The station was air conditioned, the train cars were beautiful and very comfortable to sit on and the ride itself was so unique. It was down once while we were there but it's a new ride, all new rides have bugs that need to be worked out. My biggest surprise was Outlaw Run. I wondered why the leg restraints but after riding it I now understand! So much force and speed and super smooth. The rest of the coaster line up was also pretty great. Wildfire has such an amazing view from the top! Powder Keg has a great launch and even Thunderation was really a fun mine train coaster. I thought the park had a pretty descent line up of flat ride although they could use one or two more.

Branson should be thanking their lucky stars for SDC!! The town itself was O.K. if you like sitting in traffic and looking at all the attractions. I was really surprised to see several old closed down attractions and hotels.

I came back to Minnesota and have been raving about SDC and telling everyone that they should go! I'm telling you local folks that you have a gem of a park. Yes, it needs some TLC but its a winner. My home park is a Cedar Fair park, Valleyfair! It's a nice park but pales in comparison to the charm that SDC has.

The strip has actually got better in the past couple of years. The lighting package around Time Traveler at night is very nice. Can't wait till later in the year to catch it at night again. The bluegrass version of Clocks by Coldplay is my favorite played while in queue. Thunderation at night is like Expedition Everest, another experience. Well, all the coasters are really.

Actually enjoyed quite a few songs in the TT queue. It'd be great if a loop showed up somewhere on-line

I've felt for a long time that parks that use their own 'in-house' music for theming would probably do enough business selling the soundtrack on a CD to be worth the effort. Obviously if it's licensed that's a different story, but I'm sure you get what I mean. My kids would have loved to hear some of the tracks from Story Land in New Hampshire, for example. Disney has put out a couple story books that include a single track CD of the ride music from Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean, I would like to see more!

They already rebuilt a small section of the road and moved an entire hill to do so. Earthwork isn't the challenge is used to be, though it is still somewhat expensive. They could easily widen the road without harming the cemetery. The problem is that SDC is the only real draw in that area, and I'm not sure MoDOT wants to be seen as playing favorites by widening their driveway for them. I'd rather they focus on the economic development aspect of it though, as moving people quickly between SDC and Branson means more $$$ spent on both ends.

As for the music, I'm sure it was tough to get the licenses just to play those tunes in the park. It would take way more effort than it's worth to release a CD.

As for the music, I'm sure it was tough to get the licenses just to play those tunes in the park. It would take way more effort than it's worth to release a CD.

I did specify the licensing issue. I mean things more like Fire in The Hole's soundtrack, for example. Stuff that SDC would own outright. Ah well, dreams and Youtube it is.

Big fan of SDC, as I wrote before my family tries to make the drive at least once a year to this great park. Is it sacrilege to suggest a Flooded Mine replacement? Neat ride with a ton of history but terribly outdated. Plus the capacity is sub par.

Seems like the one thing missing from the park (and Dolly too) is a fantastic dark ride. I don't count Fire in the Hole as a dark ride, its a coaster. When you look at 'Next Level' type rides like Outlaw and Time Traveler that are now being introduced to the park, Flooded Mine really doesn't hold up.

Big fan of SDC, as I wrote before my family tries to make the drive at least once a year to this great park. Is it sacrilege to suggest a Flooded Mine replacement? Neat ride with a ton of history but terribly outdated. Plus the capacity is sub par.

Seems like the one thing missing from the park (and Dolly too) is a fantastic dark ride. I don't count Fire in the Hole as a dark ride, its a coaster. When you look at 'Next Level' type rides like Outlaw and Time Traveler that are now being introduced to the park, Flooded Mine really doesn't hold up.

Idk... Part of me is like "Meh, if they get rid of Flooded Mine... Oh well." and the other half of me is like "There is no way they are ever going to get rid of that ride. It's such a family friendly classic."

It's one of the few rides in the park that nearly every member of every family can enjoy together. SDC is so big on families, and "creating family memories for generations to come" that I find it hard to believe they would remove such a family friendly ride to replace it with something that may not be as easily accessible for as many people as Flooded Mine is. Then again the ride is SUPER old, and I'm sure has it's own problems that we aren't aware...

So... Idk how to feel about the idea of the removal of Flooded Mine... I'm super on the fence about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Plus the capacity is sub par.

What are you smoking? They have 25 at a time on each boat-train and can run at least 3 boat-trains. There may be more in there too, not sure how many. They also have a grouper permanently just to make sure it fills up. I mean, short of an Omnimover there aren't many dark rides with better capacity than that.

Flooded Mine has had a much harder time in the past few years. Lots of stuff simply has simply needed replacement for too long, and SDC can't seem to make up their minds about how much they want to spend on it or what they want to do with the ride as a whole. It was obvious years ago that they needed to increase it's budget to keep it running like it should but they chose not to.

I absolutely love the ride. It has always been something the entire family can really do together, from my grandmother to my little nieces and nephews. Besides the train, there's not many other activities we can all actively do together like that. I adore the effort that was put into the ride. So much handcrafted theming and depth. So many props, many of which are authentic. It's just a really solid attraction with a lot of love poured into it, and the recent challenges with maintenance don't tell the whole story about what the ride is or what it truly offers the park.

SDC just needs to go ahead and commit a couple million into modernizing the gun and target system and fixing the props that need fixing. They are too fixated on getting the next marketing gimmick though, so I fear they will simply gut it soon and replace it with a modern dark ride with screens instead of props. I think they are letting it die a slow death on purpose so there is less outrage when they do so.

I'll say one thing though, those "next level" rides like TT and OR sure have a lot of down-time lately, but FM keeps chugging along. Seems like the newer something is, the less reliable.

What are you smoking? They have 25 at a time on each boat-train and can run at least 3 boat-trains. There may be more in there too, not sure how many. They also have a grouper permanently just to make sure it fills up. I mean, short of an Omnimover there aren't many dark rides with better capacity than that.

As I said, we only go once a year so my perspective is probably skewed. But on my visit, it took an eternity to load and unload. We were also backed up for quite a while at last scene (the boat with cannons) trying to get back into the show building.

As I said, we only go once a year so my perspective is probably skewed. But on my visit, it took an eternity to load and unload. We were also backed up for quite a while at last scene (the boat with cannons) trying to get back into the show building.

That tends to happen when you get a bunch of groups in one train (or would it be call a line of boats?) that don't understand "Please sit on a red dot, two in the front, one in the middle, two in the back, and adults sit on the opposite sides of the boat to balance things out" Or you get the group of kids who sit backwards, stick their hands in the water, and grab onto the station railings when dispatching. That tends to cause *some* issues.

Though i have noticed they are running 2 to 3 trains this year compared to the last few seasons. They used to have enough trains running where you could see the other train on the opposite side of the scene with the mine carts and the warden. Not sure how to describe that scene.

Really, the main issue i have with flooded mine is more the broken audio than physical props. Other than the runaway saw blade scene, and a few water pumps and props that have stopped working, most of the physical theming is in acceptable condition. Cant say the same for the audio. The soundtrack is 100% gone, and the dialogue in a few scenes doesn't work anymore (mainly the sleeping guard scene towards the end of the ride). Its just awkwardly quiet in the ride. All you can here is trickling water and the laser sounds from the guns.

...Personal preference I am still hoping for is something new from B&M, GCI, or even another Mack of some variety...

I'm still holding on to hope that SDC will eventually get an amazing terrained B&M Flying coaster.

So, what are the songs. Maybe I've missed a couple and have forgottena couple

Clocks by Coldplay

Time after Time by Cyndi Lauper

Free Falling by Tom Petty

A Skynard song, Freebird?

I wanna say someone mentioned If I Could Turn Back Time by Cher as well.

Flooded Mine has had a much harder time in the past few years. Lots of stuff simply has simply needed replacement for too long, and SDC can't seem to make up their minds about how much they want to spend on it or what they want to do with the ride as a whole. It was obvious years ago that they needed to increase it's budget to keep it running like it should but they chose not to.

I absolutely love the ride. It has always been something the entire family can really do together, from my grandmother to my little nieces and nephews. Besides the train, there's not many other activities we can all actively do together like that. I adore the effort that was put into the ride. So much handcrafted theming and depth. So many props, many of which are authentic. It's just a really solid attraction with a lot of love poured into it, and the recent challenges with maintenance don't tell the whole story about what the ride is or what it truly offers the park.

SDC just needs to go ahead and commit a couple million into modernizing the gun and target system and fixing the props that need fixing. They are too fixated on getting the next marketing gimmick though, so I fear they will simply gut it soon and replace it with a modern dark ride with screens instead of props. I think they are letting it die a slow death on purpose so there is less outrage when they do so.

I'll say one thing though, those "next level" rides like TT and OR sure have a lot of down-time lately, but FM keeps chugging along. Seems like the newer something is, the less reliable.

Ideally, for me- I would like to see a complete rework and restoration to its original glory; even so far as to removal of the loud obnoxious shooting game. as an Old codger, I can remember when there was a TON more water effects all over the outside of the queue line and even the long forgotten rock fall at the end where there was a sound of an explosion and many sponge (rocks) were dropped onto a wire mesh placed overhead just before the end section. it's not in horrible condition and for a few hundred grand, I bet you could really go a long way to making it a highlight of the park again. It does fit the Mining town theme of the park overall more than most any other attraction. I would be a shame to see it gone.

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Silver Dollar City's Cowboy and Crafts Festival began today, and since I'm off on Wednesdays, I wandered down to Branson for some fun.

20180912_100933.thumb.jpg.111c03aa19e034d25c105e846b72a856.jpg

Stop! Banner time.

I arrived at opening and rope dropped the saloon show. Oh, you thought I was going to say Time Traveler. Nah, man, this is Crafts Festival time, where the rides are walkons but you get your ass to the shows 45 minutes early if you don't want to sit in the back row.

Roots and Koontz is the best show SDC has ever done that has a name that sounds like beatboxing.

20180912_104124.thumb.jpg.728f8993a6e71423606c1c9cbc7338e7.jpg

Rootsandkoontzandrootsandkoontzandrootsandkoontz

20180912_105313.thumb.jpg.45ece45f8d4fb5707036632c322b97a3.jpg

Audience participation bit, singing Bette Midler's "Sisters." The guy got into it too! Great fun.

Next up was the Wild West show. This is its last year, so come see it while you can! The hoop dancer alone is worth it.

There was a mishap during the noon show, the first performance of the year. The sharpshooter came in on a horse and during her entrance the horse tripped and fell. Both were okay, medical staff ran out immediately to check on her and the trick riders from the next act ran out to calm the horse. Perfectly done, everyone was ok and the show went on. Great job everyone!

20180912_120403.thumb.jpg.8cad26c44b37e9784b9c3daccba65c11.jpg

The hoop dancer was incredible.

20180912_121243.thumb.jpg.3cf826f55cc221888aca88968435f24e.jpg

Yes, this is a dog and pony show.

20180912_121544.thumb.jpg.4a6d28166131c4ae11deb817f8804667.jpg

Pony looks a bit strange though.

20180912_122239.thumb.jpg.aecc98f1c6a20986a1d6fbf86a6de98e.jpg

Shooting over her shoulder looking in a mirror. Yeah, this is AFTER she fell off a horse. Such a badass!

20180912_122411.thumb.jpg.66f89f96b0d0362af3bb4b1cb114b4e3.jpg

The trick riders were great too.

20180912_122910.thumb.jpg.b13ade33a1b56db30a79fd04cce19456.jpg

Yup, we're in Branson.

20180912_122945.thumb.jpg.ff3d11e9779c26bc3da7bf834d56b810.jpg

Great show!

After the show, I went wandering looking for some good eats, when I stumbled upon this magnificent beauty:

20180912_124020.thumb.jpg.f4170ac29efb41d2efc495c707e06fc0.jpg

Christmas came early this year!

20180912_124436.thumb.jpg.6834245f9165495d22b3ce7e6a21fbe9.jpg

And they have apple dumplings and ice cream too! Soooo good.

Okay, now you've been patient so far, but I'm sure you're thinking, "Wait, has he actually ridden any rides yet?" And the answer is Nope, not yet! That's right, 3 hours at SDC and I have a scorecard of 2 shows, 1 lunch, and 0 rides. And I am having a blast, because that's the sort of park this is.

But remember how I told you earlier that this time of year all the rides are walkons? Behold, a feast for your eyes:

20180912_131205.thumb.jpg.158bcc1a61fcc3e219b7b61d08451965.jpg

20180912_131920.thumb.jpg.1277728f67cb43684aa5039b7e8fc15a.jpg

20180912_135249.thumb.jpg.e2814cb2b915554563be237fc28efb0d.jpg

The park wasn't empty, it's just that everyone is there for the shows and crafts. I don't have photos of the craft booths, because there were signs all over saying no photos, and I can appreciate that. They're trying to sell stuff. Lots of cool things though, you can take my word for it or come see for yourself!

Of course I couldn't leave without a visit to everyone's favourite cave in a theme park, Marvel Cave!

20180912_151108.thumb.jpg.abb52bdfd4356cc8d709ce529e2b123a.jpg

Despite repeated warnings, I went chasing waterfalls.

20180912_152214.thumb.jpg.de218f1b0b1f80630a85b2c05e4b29a1.jpg

20180912_152355.thumb.jpg.bff5543c25482c1da669a16a05e8191f.jpg

20180912_152722.thumb.jpg.d95fbcb6dbc1fd7c83b600e79e4094cb.jpg

Front row on the tram! About to blast out of this here hole in the ground and rocket toward a gift shop.

This is a great time of year to visit the park. The crafts are front and center, both the year round crafters and plenty of local artisans as well. Plus, look at those queue photos and tell me that's not beautiful.

I am going down to the park next week for a couple days and I can't wait. Best season pass investment I have ever made. I can squeeze in a trip every few months and depending on gas prices do an entire 2-3 day trip to the park for under $300.00 all in. I think fall is my favorite time of year there. I highly recommend any of the festivals, except the religious ones and christmas.

Are show passes available for this festival? does anyone know?

K

Yes, Show Lovers Pass is available.

I'm with you on avoiding Young Christians Weekend and Southern Gospel Picnic, but what do you have against Old Time Christmas? That's one of the best Christmas events anywhere.

Thanks ---- Can't seem to find the show passes online - I hope I can get them day of somewhere or maybe they will be online in a few days.

well on a personal note I despise christmas so there is that.

I have heard/read of numerous HORROR stories of traffic and crowds at christmas there so for me it's a hard pass.

this will be my last visit down there this year.

K

Ok, then I get it. They really go nuts on Christmas, so if that isn't your thing, you wouldn't enjoy it. Have some wassail while you're there. It's by the Lost River. Always one of the best things about the Christmas festival, so excited they're bringing it out early this year.

Man, you're so lucky to be so close to parks like SDC, Andrew!

I have Fright Nights coming up in Playland, but honestly there's no comparison

when it comes to Seasonal Theming and Events in parks like this one.

#GreenEnvyHERE

Ok, then I get it. They really go nuts on Christmas, so if that isn't your thing, you wouldn't enjoy it. Have some wassail while you're there. It's by the Lost River. Always one of the best things about the Christmas festival, so excited they're bringing it out early this year.

I do like some cider, especially there. in my youth they sold it at a stand like other soda's etc. Now you can only buy it by the bottle at the apple butter shack or in wine type bottles in the general store or gift shop on the way out...

K

^ Trying to remember but I don't think they have cider at Christmas. I know there's hot chocolate and wassail.

^^ SDC is just the best in the Midwest at theming. I never realized how good they are until I started going to other parks and could see the difference. I hate to be "that guy" who thinks his local park is the best, but I think you could objectively make a case for it.

^ Trying to remember but I don't think they have cider at Christmas. I know there's hot chocolate and wassail.

^^ SDC is just the best in the Midwest at theming. I never realized how good they are until I started going to other parks and could see the difference. I hate to be "that guy" who thinks his local park is the best, but I think you could objectively make a case for it.

well, it is one of the few parks (SDC and DOLLYWOOD) around that is still themed in a consistent manner. by that I mean everything is themed for the entire park and genre of park. Most others that are non-Disney/universal have gone to IP theming per ride but nothing that is about the park itself.

SFSL used to be themed to the "6" flag theme and had areas representing the six flags the park was based on including appropriate music and foods based on the areas ... now it might as well be called DC comics Land.

I think there is a not so subtle line between "amusement park" and "Theme Park"

my two cents

K

Yes, Show Lovers Pass is available.

I'm with you on avoiding Young Christians Weekend and Southern Gospel Picnic, but what do you have against Old Time Christmas? That's one of the best Christmas events anywhere.

Thanks ---- Can't seem to find the show passes online - I hope I can get them day of somewhere or maybe they will be online in a few days.

well on a personal note I despise christmas so there is that.

I have heard/read of numerous HORROR stories of traffic and crowds at christmas there so for me it's a hard pass.

this will be my last visit down there this year.

K

Never, ever, go on Sat or the Friday after Thanksgiving weekend and if you are foolish enough to do it, only come from Kimberling City/Branson West. The major coaster lines are usually mild even when packed. Don't bother if it it's going to be under 40, they'll shut them down. The place empties out after the first parade. The nighttime rides are special.

All you can eat prime rib, lord yes.