TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Seeing the surrounding area really increases the sensation of height. Wildfire is seriously of my favorite B&M loopers (#1 is still Raptor).

I'd probably rank my top 3 something like this

1. Raptor

2. Wildfire

3. Thunderbird

^ You didn't dislike it, and that's the point. I'm sure you would agree it's the best floorless that has a floor.

It's also the worst floorless with a floor.

Honestly, I wish that B&M would make another sit-down coaster with those open trains. They look so nice!

• 2 weeks later...

It's been quite an interesting year at SDC! On top of them getting a $26 million dollar Mack Coaster they also got a new steam train engine brought into service! This is exciting news for all you theme park train enthusiasts!

Say hello to Engine 504:

35486545_1732157420209615_3852654809190498304_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=78ffdf212fbb8bc86b7bb5d5cc917f22&oe=5BB67BCE

35761519_1732151993543491_7692572660936474624_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=9905da760bb8d882dfee1fd4eae484d9&oe=5BB6A93F

35645289_933831823463719_4210625416890679296_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=eadaad9f0aeabe441220dd7c1e481cd4&oe=5BBB9428

Trip report video from a former employee of the park:

Photo Album: https://www.facebook.com/pg/TheSirWillow/photos/?tab=album&album_id=933831653463736

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from a vacation in Branson and had a 3 day pass to Silver Dollar City. I was at the park June 25th - 27th and the first day was a full day and last two were half days. This was my 3rd time to the park and it has been 5 years since I went last. I'm probably going to write a lot so I subdivided it.

Time Traveler

An amazing ride with great scenery. I got to ride this 4 times. At first I thought each seat was about the same because of the length of the trains and the fact that the cars spin but then I got a ride in row 8 (the back) and was surprised. When you leave the station you will get ejector airtime into the 90 degree drop while going backwards and really makes for the best element in the ride. The two launches aren't the most forces but are better than a chain lift. I liked the scenery but I thought there could be some saws or scrap wood in the que since you're in a wood shop, though this may have made it a bit less steampunk. I was only in line 5 times for this ride and I still can't get the music or the ticking sound out of my head. I can't decide though if this is better than Powder Keg or not.

Maintenance problems

I had a huge problem with maintenance when I was visiting Silver Dollar City. I was told by one of the workers that there was a lightning storm the day before I came and that was part of the problem. The first day I was there I showed up at Time Traveler about 15 minutes after opening to find that the ride had broken down the second I got there. I went ahead and waited for the 2 hours the ride was broken down because I figured the line is usually longer anyways. When the ride opened I got on the 2nd or 3rd train and was on my way. I got back in line quickly after, then waited another 45 minutes and got 2 trains away in line but then the ride broke down again. This time I was a little mad. I rode some other rides and made my way to outlaw run to find that it was closed and wouldn't open for the rest of the day. I went back to Time Traveler later and had it close again. Time Traveler opened up later but with 1 train. That was the first day. The second day started off better, Time Traveler was still running one train but was open. I didn't have a problem until I went to Powder Keg where they had 1 train running. I got about half way thru the line before they added a second train. This was fine and dandy but they did 1 test run with 2 trains then took the train back off and retested the original train. I left and came back later to Powder Keg and it was closed. Outlaw Run was open all day that day. And the third day I had no problems. There were 2 trains back on Time Traveler and it wasn't breaking down. There were 2 trains on Powder Keg. Outlaw Run was open with 1 train but no line.

White Water

The water park was alright. It was small... that's my only complaint. I was at White Water for an hour and was able to do most of the rides. Part of my group was there for half a day and did everything twice or for some rides three times. The lines for the water slides were nice and short except for a few. They did let me bring in my Silver Dollar City cup. The location is right next to the strip which is a bonus but they're landlocked and didn't have much room from the start.

Pros

Silver Dollar City overall is a nice park. They have something for everybody here. The scenery is amazing, I loved how the park map was a newspaper. All of the workers are nice and I created a friendship with a few of them. The location is really nice and is great for setting the mood. There are great coasters at this park. Operations seemed fast. Overall very professional.

Cons

IDK if I went on a busy day but the paths were packed but ride times were short. There is a lack of flat rides here, I didn't notice this the first day but I started to the second day and started to get bored the third day. The coasters are great but then there's shows and little kid rides left. I'm not the biggest fan of shows and I'm not going to ride the kiddy rides so there's not much left for a coaster enthusiast. The park has some hills (mainly hill street) which I didn't mind but some people in my group did. The app was awful. It's bad at telling you if a rides open or broke down, it's also awful at telling real ride times, but if you're using it for a map it's great. I thought Wildfire wasn't that great, especially with all the other coasters in the park. I wouldn't mind seeing it turned into a new section of the park with some flat rides. I know I wrote a lot more Cons then Pros but believe me this is a great park and you should definitely visit it if in the area.

Powder Leg's launch is quite intense and feels almost instantaneous. Time Traveler's launches are more gradual but when you hit the end of each launch you get a really cool sensation of speed going whatever direction the ride feels like throwing you.

Powder Leg's launch is quite intense and feels almost instantaneous. Time Traveler's launches are more gradual but when you hit the end of each launch you get a really cool sensation of speed going whatever direction the ride feels like throwing you.

Yep, agreed.

As for White Water, yeah it's not a great waterpark. It was good when I was a kid but most of the parks these days offer a lot more. We took our kids for the first time last summer and they were asking to go back to Hurricane Harbor St. Louis instead.

I'm sorry you have so much trouble with break-downs verruckt1. It seems like it has been awful this year. Word on the street is that the park has been having some serious staffing issues, which has been a problem off and on for years. A lot of the older staff that knew how to actually get stuff done and keep the place running smoothly have moved on - and speaking broadly, a lot of the newer people are just there to get by and don't stick around long enough to really fill their shoes. The park has been dealing with a lot of shifting demographics in that regard.

Like you said, the park doesn't have many flat rides, but if you went back about ten years or so ago there were hardly any. They didn't really start focusing on rides till Wildfire was installed, and most of the park's flats were added in massive waves in 2006 (Grand Exposition) and 2015 (Fireman's Landing). Before the 2000's the main draws of the park still revolved around music, crafts, and other soft stuff. It is still in the process of transforming into more of a "normal" amusement park, and unfortunately the ride headaches are the growing pains of that transition.

It doesn't help that they like to choose ground-breaking, but finicky rides. Buzzsaw Falls was a prototype that didn't last, Powderkeg replaced it but was also kind of a prototype that has plenty of it's own problems, Outlaw Run was a prototype and isn't aging well, Time Traveler is of course basically a prototype with a lot of world's firsts... I'm sure I'm missing some. Even Lost River was a prototype I think - wasn't it the first Intamin River Rapids?

It's a crap list of the top ten parks, but good publicity for SDC!

https://amp.news-leader.com/amp/715901002

The readers of 10Best.com, a travel and lifestyle advice website published by USA TODAY, have voted Silver Dollar City among the top five amusement parks in the country.

The 58-year-old Branson-area park came in at No. 4, behind a Six Flags park in New Jersey; Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio; and the No. 1 amusement park, Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, California.

I was just in the park the last two days (not my first visit). Found out that at certain times of the year, teachers get in for free! So I was able to take advantage of that.

Been before, but wanted to get Time Traveler. On Thursday, it was only running one train, and not the back car, so the line was agonizingly slow. Next day, it took about 45 minutes to open and started again with only one train and no back car. Not long after, they did add a 2nd train, and that one did seem to have back car (though I didn't get it). Really wondering what the problems are with it. It is a fun ride, and I do love the upgraded restraints, but I worry technically for its future.

Pro tip: I have come to realize that while I'm generally a back seat person, all the rides (except Time Traveler) are better in the front. Back gets pretty painful in almost every ride (including Outlaw Run), but are much more tolerable in the front.

I did manage a side trip to Runaway Mountain alpine coaster, which was fun... but cost is now $18 (with tax). A bit pricey for a single ride, but as I don't get to alpine coasters often, I ponied up.

Also did a side visit to the newly opened America's Fun Park (only 2 weeks!), and was pleasantly surprised. While the ride list isn't too remarkable (yet), that park has a lot of heart. Some of the nicest, most enthusiastic staff I have ever encountered, and it really made a huge difference. You're able to re-ride coasters as much as you want provided there's no one waiting, and there likely won't be. I did 7 solid rides on Windstorm.

And I was fortunate enough to get on their one of a kind German fun fair ghost train from 1972, which has only been open for 2 days! I even talked to the staff about it for about 20-30 minutes, and learned a lot about it, and they have big plans for it (including putting in live actors for Halloween!). It's still a work in progress, they aren't finished with it yet--they just wanted to get it up and running. But the operators have a real passion for it, and have a haunt background (and they got some assistance from a Knott's Berry Farm Haunt designer!). While it's a bit rough around the edges right now (and they know it), I think the potential is pretty clear, and am excited for its future. It could be a real jewel.

Once I get all my pics uploaded, I'll be posting a separate trip report and thread on just that, but I have a preview below so you can see what I'm talking about. And check out those incredible (and slightly racist, but it was Germany in 1972) ride vehicles! I heartily recommend a visit.

Dg4pGF3UwAAWMw9.thumb.jpg.801b69c4429ba746752ef94483f4b55f.jpg

Dg4pGF2UcAADWsk.thumb.jpg.5c10a28330df606081090be81cbe7dd4.jpg

Outlaw Run is a second-to-back or very front seat ride. The back row of any car can definitely throw you around.

I dunno how Wildfire or Powder Keg come anywhere near painful in the back unless you're in the headbanging height range for Wildfire, but I found both of those to be vastly superior in the back (unless you want the best damn views in the world, then front is best). Thunderation isn't a ride that seems to vary too much by seat, I'd just avoid the back row of any car if you care about smoothness.

I only got to experience Time Traveler in the front due to assigned seating but I can imagine the back is the place to be. The ride was absolutely fantastic either way

And I was fortunate enough to get on their one of a kind German fun fair ghost train from 1972, which has only been open for 2 days! I even talked to the staff about it for about 20-30 minutes, and learned a lot about it, and they have big plans for it (including putting in live actors for Halloween!). It's still a work in progress, they aren't finished with it yet--they just wanted to get it up and running. But the operators have a real passion for it, and have a haunt background (and they got some assistance from a Knott's Berry Farm Haunt designer!). While it's a bit rough around the edges right now (and they know it), I think the potential is pretty clear, and am excited for its future. It could be a real jewel.

This is great--thanks for highlighting it! The park is definitely on my list for my next Branson visit. Someone kindly save me the searching--were there originally whisperings that this park would/might be temporary? I hope it sticks around.

^As far as I can tell, it'll be sticking around. They're already in the process of adding two more rides. A Scambler is currently sitting unassembled in their parking lot, and a Moser Super Flip is looking fairly close to opening. I'll be detailing it all in an upcoming thread... lots of pics to organize, and I'm not exactly an expert TR writer, so it may take me a day or two. But this park impressed me so much with the care and enthusiasm of the employees, they deserve the good publicity.

and I do love the upgraded restraints, but I worry technically for its future

Forgive my ignorance, but what is upgraded about these restraints? Are they different than all the other ones on Manta, Blue Fire, Helix, Icon, etc.? Or maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, I just thought I'd ask because now I'm curious.

The way they lock is an upgrade. At Manta in Sea World San Diego, you pull them down yourself, and they are notorious for tightening and clamping down during the ride itself (not unlike Skyrush).

Here, it's all automatic... you don't touch the restraint at all, it comes down for you, and then gets (somehow) locked into place. They tell you to keep your hands up (even after the restraint comes down) until you see and feel a little "jiggle" as it locks into place. The restraint didn't move at all during the ride. Which is quite an upgrade. Makes the ride much more enjoyable, but I also wonder if it's causing some of tech problems. Does anyone know if this automatic restraint system is a first for Mack?

This is great--thanks for highlighting it! The park is definitely on my list for my next Branson visit. Someone kindly save me the searching--were there originally whisperings that this park would/might be temporary? I hope it sticks around.

You remember correctly. They've advertised it as this summer only, but they've also dropped hints that if they make enough money on it, they'll come back next year.

Edgeboy, glad to hear it's open and that it's a good experience. I'll have to get down there soon to check it out for myself.

You remember correctly. They've advertised it as this summer only, but they've also dropped hints that if they make enough money on it, they'll come back next year.

Edgeboy, glad to hear it's open and that it's a good experience. I'll have to get down there soon to check it out for myself.

Where have they advertised it as this summer only? That just doesn't seem right since they built a huge, permanent building with a large, paved parking lot and a large LED sign. If they really only intended to keep it open for a summer (or at least just test the waters for a year) then they would just have a gravel parking lot, a cheap sign, and no building at all.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a pretty firmly established pattern that they don't add anything the year after a major addition, especially coasters. Plus, rumor is that they spent way more on TT than advertised and it is still breaking down pretty much every day. It might be awhile before we see them start on the next big thing.

I'd be thrilled if they started on other necessary enhancements like more parking and a better entrance/tram drop-off.

I am thinking probably 2021 will be the year for the next big thing. Also until then I really think they should invest in Flooded Mine and Fire In The Hole as they are in such a sad state of disrepair. 80 percent of the effects were not working on either when I rode them last Monday. It was so strange riding thru Flooded Mine as it was so quiet you would have thought you were in the middle of a funeral procession. Really disappointed. This is not an isolated case as a lot of people have been commenting about it on various forums and social media and even at the park.

Also Flooded Mine just celebrated its 50th year at the park.

Another comment I have seen on Facebook to SDC which I sadly have to agree with:

"Just a suggestion to management start taking care of these older rides; sound tracks working prisoners actually working and water working where it used to, cannon firing and exploding in water outdoors. Fire in the Hole soundtrack, the gunshots and windows breaking in saloon area fans on the bridge did more than just create the fire effect it also helped move some air in there as it is noticeably warm in there, American Plunge has lost basically all the effects there, man drowning with dog saving him, the outhouse falling over. The park spends millions on a new ride but fails to upkeep the unique older rides. Somebody needs to be the head of quality control on a lot of things on park. Seems they are just worried about the new and not the tradition which is sad. My grown kids even say it is not the same."

Unfortunately, the more complaints the park gets about Flooded Mine and FITH, the more likely they are to just bulldoze them. I am certain they see those rides more as problems vs. something people cherish. There is an awesome, dedicated crew for both rides, but the lack of funding over the years to fix major things has compounded over time and now the park is faced with the decision to either gut them and try to rebuild or simply bulldoze and replace with something completely different. There was a rumor a few years ago that FL would be completely bulldozed and the space used for a new coaster... I have a feeling the Herschends speak up from time to time to try to keep them from tearing down all the "old" SDC.

We'll see what happens. I keep feeling like FL and FITH are the next things to get replaced or re-done, but it hasn't happened yet.

Silver Dollar City has sent us a press release announcing this year's Moonlight Madness event, offering extended evening hours in the park to enjoy the park's many attractions including Time Traveler and Outlaw Run in the dark!

Thrill lovers can take the world’s fastest, steepest and tallest spinning drop in the dark on the new $26 million ride Time Traveler during Silver Dollar City’s Moonlight Madness, an end-of-summer celebration with extended time to ride, play and dance into the night. Over 40 rides and attractions will be open from 9:30 am to 10 pm July 21 to August 5, with more than 12 hours a day to play.

Night-ride thrills take on new dimensions with Time Traveler, as guests can drop 10 stories at 90 degrees, traveling over 50 miles per hour before flying through three inversions with two launches, with spin – all in the dark. Riders can also soar into the sunset on The Giant Barn Swing, take a pitch-black ride on the world’s only double-barrel-rolling wood coaster Outlaw Run and take five inversions under the stars on WildFire, along with all the park’s rides and attractions.

Nightly Street Dances on the Square feature new emcees and performers Prince Ivan leading dance favorites like the Macarena and the Chicken Dance. Daytime shows include NBC-featured juggler Chris Ruggierio with a one-man variety show July 21 – 28, and award-winning magician and comedian Taylor Hughes performing illusion and comedy July 29 – August 5. A special fireworks show caps the “Hits from the Hollow” show at Echo Hollow Amphitheatre each evening.

The nighttime fun goes all the way to midnight on the final two Saturday nights, with special one-time evening performances from ‘80s tribute band Members Only on July 28, and ‘90s cover group The Mixtapes on August 4.

Moonlight Madness runs daily July 21 - August 5 at the Branson, Missouri theme park.

WHITE WATER: Nighttime rides are also featured at nearby White Water as it presents Night Water, featured on Fridays and Saturdays through August 4. The water park extends park hours to 10 p.m. for cool water fun on hot summer nights, with fireworks lighting up the sky at park closing every Saturday.

unnamed.thumb.png.73f5afc464e39b292c3f08cce52535fe.png

I just returned from my first trip to SDC and I have to say that I absolutely loved the park!! The ride ops were great, the food was great, the scenery, the rides, the staff, everything I experienced was top notch. I've read some of the comments made recently about flooded mine and fire in the hole. Yes, they need some TLC! but as a first time rider I really enjoyed them alot. I was there for a day and a half and we didn't even see one show but we never waited in line for more than 30 min and that was on the river rapids ride. It was very hot! I appreciated the water misters around the park and the heavily wooded terrain. Very few times did we have to walk in direct sunlight. I came from Minnesota just to ride Time Traveler and it did not disappoint. The station was air conditioned, the train cars were beautiful and very comfortable to sit on and the ride itself was so unique. It was down once while we were there but it's a new ride, all new rides have bugs that need to be worked out. My biggest surprise was Outlaw Run. I wondered why the leg restraints but after riding it I now understand! So much force and speed and super smooth. The rest of the coaster line up was also pretty great. Wildfire has such an amazing view from the top! Powder Keg has a great launch and even Thunderation was really a fun mine train coaster. I thought the park had a pretty descent line up of flat ride although they could use one or two more.

Branson should be thanking their lucky stars for SDC!! The town itself was O.K. if you like sitting in traffic and looking at all the attractions. I was really surprised to see several old closed down attractions and hotels.

I came back to Minnesota and have been raving about SDC and telling everyone that they should go! I'm telling you local folks that you have a gem of a park. Yes, it needs some TLC but its a winner. My home park is a Cedar Fair park, Valleyfair! It's a nice park but pales in comparison to the charm that SDC has.

Massive, sudden storm in Branson tonight. Lots of tree damage at the park from what I hear.

What is much worse is that a ride the duck boat was out on the lake when it blew through unexpectedly hard and ended up being capsized. 30 people on board and rumors that some may have perished. Hopefully that turns out to be false and everyone makes it out ok.