TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

I can't deal with the stupidity that is this comment.

That wasn’t taped any time in the last 5 -6 weeks because it’s winter in North America and in that video the trees are all green.

Like, are they oblivious to the fact that it's the freaking animation?!?!? God people are ignorant.

I know I'm kind of biased here, but I think this might be the coolest looking coaster train ever. The finishes are exquisite.

I think this might be the earliest they've ever gotten a coaster testing. I don't recall Powderkeg or Outlaw testing until after the season. Probably don't want any surprises after lightning rod...

^Right?? I figured Cedar Fair parks would be the only ones to install neckbelts on their Mack spinners!

Neckbelts are a great way to reduce head-banging. If parks just installed these on their old Arrows and Vekomas, they wouldn't need to invest in new trains.

I take it you haven't been to Silver Dollar City. Planks over windows is pretty standard theming for that park.

It's the only theme park I've visited, so I'm quite biased when it comes to SDC. I just didn't know if they were going to change the theming with the time traveling aspect.

I take it you haven't been to Silver Dollar City. Planks over windows is pretty standard theming for that park.

It's the only theme park I've visited, so I'm quite biased when it comes to SDC. I just didn't know if they were going to change the theming with the time traveling aspect.

Those planks over the windows are actually part of the giant steel structure that the station was built on. It’s a very interesting design really as every level of the queue and station has many part of the structure still visible. Guess that they’re using it to add more steampunk/industrial themes to the station.

I'm still not understanding the giant building for the station. Maybe I missed it in this thread. Is the queue multi leveled within the building? Don't get me wrong the building looks great but it makes me expect something more.

Yes, it's multileveled, it'll be chockfull of theming of time travel and steampunk

There are two levels of queue area before you get to the loading level. It doesn't look as big anymore as it did during construction now that it's all be closed in and the insides are taking shape. It's just really tall, especially from the valley side. Probably could have been a bit less tall if they had done the launch/lift before the drop like the concept artwork had. Maybe it was cheaper this way. Still a crazy spot to squeeze in a coaster like this.

Very smooth, and the cars were not spinning very fast. The launches were smooth and didn't seem to accelerate too quickly. Of course it will probably feel more intense on the ride than it looked from the back porch of the culinary school. Still, if you're on the fence about this, worried that the spinning would be too much, I think it's going to be just fine. I wouldn't expect ultimate intensity from Time Traveler. Probably will be closer to Powder Keg than Outlaw Run.

Probably will be closer to Powder Keg than Outlaw Run.

And as far as I am concerned there is nothing wrong with that! Powder Keg is still an awesome coaster!

Awesome shots! I almost went up there today. Now I regret not doing so. haha

^^ Well honestly, this seems (to me) a lot like Crush's Coaster in Disney Studios, Paris. All indoors, and individual spinning cars,

but depending on the weight distribution, and the layout of the track...turned out to be not a big deal. But this should still

be quite the sensation, on such a layout as this, including inversions!

^ Yeah, spinning through an inversion should be quite the experience. I was worried it might be too intense, but seeing the layout and now seeing how it goes, I'm not worried about it. This is something I could handle.

Probably will be closer to Powder Keg than Outlaw Run.

And as far as I am concerned there is nothing wrong with that! Powder Keg is still an awesome coaster!

Awesome shots! I almost went up there today. Now I regret not doing so. haha

Oh yeah, those are both great. Just different levels of intensity.

Today was a great day. Drizzly and cold enough to keep people away, but not enough rain or cold to close anything outside of Expo.

Yeah, rides like tea cups really mess me up. Not sure why. I can handle spinning coasters usually, but I don't often like them for that reason. I think this is gentle enough to be a spinning ride I could probably get into.

Same boat for me. I've even gotten queasy on the Merry Go Round. But I have no trouble with spinning coasters so I'm praying that will hold up for Time Traveler.

People are talking about how trimmed the first drop is... Time will tell how it operates in three months when there are real riders, but for now it seems like the big first drop may seem like kind of a dud - for the front cars at least. I think coaster enthusiasts will quickly learn to head for the back and it will be plenty thrilling in those seats.

I suspected all along that it wouldn't be that intense. People make too much out of a little spinning. Other than the first drop, which will apparently be neutered, there are no obviously intense elements on this ride. The first launch might have a nice push to it, but less so than PK. We'll see what it actually feels like, but I think a lot of people will be surprised by how "mild" the ride actually is, compared to how it's been presented. It looks really imposing, but they stopped short of making it actually crazy.

Ultimately I think it will be a really fun ride, but I think it will have an identity problem among the GP. It's going to be tough to get anyone on it that isn't a fan of thrill coasters, but actual thrill seekers may be disappointed that it isn't as wildly thrilling as it seems.

I guess I should add though that it could feel a lot more intense than it looks. I'm ready to try it out.