TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

An idea worth pointing out,

Maybe SDC can have a different setting in each car for the level of spinning (example: car 1 is tame, last car is wild, etc)

So most people can ride it with any tolerance.

What do you guys think of that?

I love spinning wildly on a spinning coaster

^They aren't going to lock any cars down, ever. That would be a total logistical and PR nightmare. Nothing like building the world's wildest spinning coaster, then immediately walking it back with non spinning cars like it was some kind of mistake. The whole point would be lost. Anyone who is too scared can either choose to ride something else or at the very least try it once before decrying it as too intense. It's like asking CP to put a slower car on TTD...

The announcement was spectacular. I'm very excited for the coaster itself. It think it will be tons of fun and coaster enthusiasts will really come around to it once it gets some riders.

As a fan of SDC in particular, I'm very interested in the development of the theme as well. The video and backstory are very interesting, but this is shooting well above the psuedo-historical/tongue-in-cheek nature of the rest of the park. They showed very little of the actual theming in the artwork so far, but they mentioned something about releasing more of it down the road. I'm sure it will be amazing in the station at least. Lots of room in there for neat stuff. Wish they had some tunnels or something along the track though.

The ice cream for this ride is fantastic btw. I haven't been terribly impressed by a lot of the HFEC coaster ice creams before, but this is one I will seriously look for and buy on a regular basis. Also, I was reminded yesterday that SDC now has flavored cinnamon breads with peach and apple options. The peach is pretty good!

^They aren't going to lock any cars down, ever. That would be a total logistical and PR nightmare. Nothing like building the world's wildest spinning coaster, then immediately walking it back with non spinning cars like it was some kind of mistake. The whole point would be lost. Anyone who is too scared can either choose to ride something else or at the very least try it once before decrying it as too intense. It's like asking CP to put a slower car on TTD...

Yeah you have a point as much as i love the idea of having both (especially as that looks like an option on the base Mack Xtreme spinner), it would likely be a logistical nightmare.

and yes now I cant wait for it to open and hear feedback. I'm hoping its better than everyone's afraid of, but even if it isn't and its just another mid-level spinner, hey those are fun too.

The announcement was spectacular. I'm very excited for the coaster itself. It think it will be tons of fun and coaster enthusiasts will really come around to it once it gets some riders.

As a fan of SDC in particular, I'm very interested in the development of the theme as well. The video and backstory are very interesting, but this is shooting well above the psuedo-historical/tongue-in-cheek nature of the rest of the park. They showed very little of the actual theming in the artwork so far, but they mentioned something about releasing more of it down the road. I'm sure it will be amazing in the station at least. Lots of room in there for neat stuff. Wish they had some tunnels or something along the track though.

The ice cream for this ride is fantastic btw. I haven't been terribly impressed by a lot of the HFEC coaster ice creams before, but this is one I will seriously look for and buy on a regular basis. Also, I was reminded yesterday that SDC now has flavored cinnamon breads with peach and apple options. The peach is pretty good!

If all that building in the middle of the course is used for is mechanical, that was a tremendously blown opportunity as the ride preview shows the train coming to a near complete stop at the first launch.

Why is everyone raising a stink about themeing along the course? Name ONE coaster (that isn't Fire In The Hole) at SDC that has themeing once the train leaves the station. One. Powder Keg's transfer track doesn't count.

Why is everyone raising a stink about themeing along the course? Name ONE coaster (that isn't Fire In The Hole) at SDC that has themeing once the train leaves the station. One. Powder Keg's transfer track doesn't count.

You wouldn't be able to see it anyways. You're spinning through out the ride. If you want animatronics that sing to you on a roller coaster go to Disney!

I swear Coaster Enthusiasts will find anything to complain about, even when the coaster is a definite home run!

Here's my $.02. Something that struck me in the announcement which no one has again mention was the fact that each time you ride this amazing coaster, you will have a different ride experience. Don't kill me, but this is why I love the Free Spins Six Flags has been putting in. I mean depending on where you're sitting and who you're sitting with you'll have more or less spins, and going through those inversions even just slightly off kilter is going to be crazy. I can wait for this ride to open. Between the story line and highly expected themeing, this is a huge win for Silver Dollar City.

We can talk about stuff without it being "raising a stink". The original concept artwork showed a bunch of different theming, so of course we were expecting something of the sort to make it to the final ride. I wasn't expecting much, but tunnels and fly throughs are fun and I think they add a lot to coasters. We've always wished SDC did more of that sort of thing on every new coaster that has come along since Wildfire.

I'm OK with just the station being themed though, and it sounds like it will be very nice. I'm seriously excited to see how it turns out in March, almost more than the coaster itself. I do love a well executed theme.

You're right that this is a dedicated spinning coaster, but Mack does offer a lot of vehicle configurations. Sure, you'd need clear signage and/or split the queue at some point, but Mack successfully ran Blue Fire with regular and spinning cars -- proof that you can have it both ways. The forward/backward rows on Swarm didn't suddenly create a "total logistical nightmare" and were an asset to PR. S&S combo towers aren't public bedlam when you get to choose which side you want to experience. People also figure out which side they want to ride on a racing coaster. Choice isn't being offered here, but I don't think the idea is as repellent as you're making it out to be.

Edited by Samuel

Ooooooooooo thankyou Chadster! And that windowed spot you're standing on....

... a viewing platform in the station? Or for something else?

Just a one time deal! The train leaves the station and right out onto the drop. I'm standing where the track will eventually go! Totally cool that they did this, it really puts into perspective the magnitude of the ride.

To answer the spinning question, when the cars spin too fast and magnet/fin combination will keep them in check. Sort of like how they slow a train now, but only they applied it to the rotation of the ride. Via the ride designer.

Thanks for the great photos, chadster! This might be a dumb question but it's hard for me to tell from the photos... is that entire windowed portion just temporary, or will some of it remain after they install track? Like will the windows open for the ride to pass through?

Choice isn't being offered here, but I don't think the idea is as repellent as you're making it out to be.

The argument or topic in itself seems pointless to me. There's nothing indicating that Time Traveler will have fixed cars or cars that spin at different rates. It seems incredibly unlikely that it will happen. The spinning car on Blue Fire was nothing more than a very temporary prototype turned advertisement for Mack. Maybe this will be an option on other coasters from Mack, but nothing is indicative that variations of spinning will occur on Time Traveler. Considering the video released about every single marketable detail, and more, about Time Traveler, it makes sense that anything that significant would have been included.

I'm curious how Mack coasters ride compared to Zierer, since the track looks so similar. Verbolten is completely tolerable and fun, but it has a bit of a rattle for a steel coaster.

Just in case this was skipped...

According to Brad Thomas, president of Silver Dollar City Attractions, the indoor queue and load station will showcase the story of Charles Henry, a turn-of-the-century clockmaker and inventor who resides in Silver Dollar City and is captivated by the science fiction tales of Jules Verne. Gears, cogs, and other steampunk flourishes will adorn the building.

"The first level tells the story of Mr. Henry's time-keeping creations," says Thomas. "However, the second and third levels start revealing Charles' big dream of creating a contraption capable of time travel."

From USA Today's story about the coaster: https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/experience/america/theme-parks/2017/08/16/silver-dollar-city-time-traveler-coaster/573610001/

This coaster is looking awesome! Putting SDC even higher up my bucket list, really need to get out there!

I'm curious how Mack coasters ride compared to Zierer, since the track looks so similar. Verbolten is completely tolerable and fun, but it has a bit of a rattle for a steel coaster.
Let me tell you, Mack make some of the smoothest, most comfortable coasters out there!

Choice isn't being offered here, but I don't think the idea is as repellent as you're making it out to be.

The argument or topic in itself seems pointless to me. There's nothing indicating that Time Traveler will have fixed cars or cars that spin at different rates. It seems incredibly unlikely that it will happen. The spinning car on Blue Fire was nothing more than a very temporary prototype turned advertisement for Mack.

I don't see where we're in disagreement; Time Traveler is going to exclusively be a spinning coaster, and that's why I wrote "choice isn't being offered here" by SDC. My other point wasn't speculation about Time Traveler. I was responding specifically to another poster who contended that the concept of modifying the trains or offering more than one way to ride would be a logistical and PR nightmare. In truth, Mack does offer options, and I pointed out that plenty of other rides also offer different experiences or have been modified successfully.

mack.jpg.77411ee47b63f9944de50903e7384fd9.jpg

I would count both of Thunderation's tunnels as theming. They also have some random props down there, right?

I haven't raised a stink yet, but my main problem with the presentation of the ride (in the video at least) is the placement of the launches. I think they look somewhat awkward running through the rest of Time Traveler's layout. It would be nice to see some sort of theming thrown in there, especially with the ride coming to a complete stop, but it would've looked even better with the launches running under the rest of the layout like on Taron.

I would count both of Thunderation's tunnels as theming. They also have some random props down there, right?

I haven't raised a stink yet, but my main problem with the presentation of the ride (in the video at least) is the placement of the launches. I think they look somewhat awkward running through the rest of Time Traveler's layout. It would be nice to see some sort of theming thrown in there, especially with the ride coming to a complete stop, but it would've looked even better with the launches running under the rest of the layout like on Taron.

I will say that is the main gripe I had besides this being yet another relatively short coaster. (its neighbor ThuNderaTion is actually longer and taller as this one will be the 2nd shortest coaster in the park save for the kiddie coaster and FITH) Anyways what bugged me was the missed opportunity to turn at least one of the launches into a sort of show and effects building (which was previously assumed to be where that small structure embedded into the hill would have been) or at least make a simple enclosed tunnel for the "Time Travel" effect. Doing something as simple as a tunnel with multicolor LED lighting as seen near the end of NTG at SFOT would have sufficed or even some fog like what is seen and used on many Dive Coaster tunnels.

Looks like a lot of people are looking at some of the weird things more than the good things. The track length may be a bit short but look at the ride time, it is just under two minutes. Most of the coasters at SDC have a ride time around there, give or take about twenty seconds. But Time Traveler doesn't even have a lift hill so it will still feel like a long ride. It has a longer ride time and more track than Outlaw Run yet Outlaw Run is still an amazing ride. It may not have themeing during the ride but who cares? None of the other major coasters at SDC do. And I wouldn't count the two tunnels on Thunderation, there isn't actually any themed elements in there. But again, who cares? The themeing in the queue line will no doubt be amazing! And it will be super unique! The placement of the launches might seem a little strange to most people but why not just be happy it HAS launches? I can't WAIT for Time Traveler. I know it will be a ride that will really make me scream. I can only imagine going down that drop face first, or backwards, or sideways! And it will be such a cool feeling going through that loop while turning. Oh my. I'm getting even more excited just talking about Time Traveler!

This coaster really seems like it's the best of both worlds. Most of the "bigger" Mack coasters in the United States are spinning coasters while the other major Mack coasters are all overseas. I knew it was probably a matter of time before Mack decided to build a major launch coaster in the US. By making it a spinning coaster, they're keeping up their good track record of making decent spinning coasters in the US while giving us something we haven't seen before in this country, a coaster reminiscent of Blue Fire or Helix.

I don't see where we're in disagreement; Time Traveler is going to exclusively be a spinning coaster, and that's why I wrote "choice isn't being offered here" by SDC. My other point wasn't speculation about Time Traveler. I was responding specifically to another poster who contended that the concept of modifying the trains or offering more than one way to ride would be a logistical and PR nightmare. In truth, Mack does offer options, and I pointed out that plenty of other rides also offer different experiences or have been modified successfully.

I know they offer lots of options, but that isn't the point. Have you been around many typical theme park guests? It was bad enough when they had a few backwards seats on Thunderation - that confused the heck out of a lot of people that had never been there before and weren't familiar with roller coasters. Now imagine touting this record smashing SPINNING coaster and then throwing different options into the mix in the station. You'd have to carve out different lines, have attendants to explain where to go for what, deal with crowds wanting to do one thing or the other... etc. Not to mention it would still look like a walk-back after they specifically built it to smash spinning coaster records. It would have been stupid to invite that chaos just because some people are scared of a little spin. But it's all set in stone now anyway so it's not worth digging at more - perhaps that will be the gimmick on the next Mack coaster somewhere else: multiple options on one coaster.

The second launch sounds funny to me. I love launches, but 30 to 45 in 3.5 seconds? They couldn't give it any more juice than that? I'm not sure that warrants being called a launch. It sounds like something they probably played around with a ton, and this is the final intersection of cost, efficiency, marketing, and thrill value since it allows them to add a final almost-inversion at the end. I'm sure the ride would have had to be cut shorter or utilize a lifthill at the end otherwise. It's just odd that there's this huge launch segment there that only pushes it 15MPH faster. Would be the perfect place to add a tunnel later though

Don't get me wrong, I am loving all of this, but of course we're going to be pecking at all the details for the next seven months.

The second launch sounds funny to me. I love launches, but 30 to 45 in 3.5 seconds? They couldn't give it any more juice than that? I'm not sure that warrants being called a launch.

The 2nd launch on SeaWorld's Wave Breaker coaster is probably in the same ballpark speed-wise and it was still a solid launch.

Yeah, the line situation that would be created by different car types seems the type of pain in the butt that SDC would be happy to avoid. I'm sure most if not all of us posting here have seen it elsewhere; even parks with clearly delineated lines complete with attendants still get bottlenecks of people trying to figure out where to go.

How does that park in Japan with the sit-down and stand-up train handle that situation? There's a precedent to do it, but I do agree logistically it would be complicated.

That's why I'm intrigued to see how long the line for the reverse car on Australia's DC Villains hyper coaster gets.

^ In Yomuiriland, that station had two queues (one for each side) and there were two loading tracks,

one for the standing train, the other for the sit down. Attached to a main section that would slide

from side to side. So while the standing train was running, the sit down one was unloading and then

loading up new riders. The stand up would return, the track slides over to it's load/unload dock, and

the sit down would then be in line to take off up the lift hill. Pretty simple way to do it, I thought.

MomongaYomiuriland.jpg.82c746afc048fdd7d87f027040d8943d.jpg