Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

P. 269: Kid-friendly Halloween & lights-on Stranger Things!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'd like to buy a vowel!

Re: Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Postby KBrylczyk » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:38 pm

Lucas The Drummer wrote:If i want to do all the maze, is an express pass necessary on a Thursday night? Specifically october 11th

If you get there right as they begin entry and head straight to the backlot then yes, you can pull it off without an express pass. But I'm talking get in the gate, walk as fast as you can through the park, get to the backlot, do those haunts, immediately pull a 180 and head towards the lower lot, do those haunts, then head to the upper lot and do those haunts. If you start up top you're gonna run into 90+ minute waits for anything in the lower lot and backlot.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/539c3534a7c7084b61a754366e69a2bf.jpg[/img][/url]

KidTums' personal piano player

Postby wrs28330 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:48 am

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 - Opening Day

Friday, September 14th marked the start of Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios Hollywood, and Theme Park Review was invited to Opening Night to face our fears! This year’s maze lineup includes: Stranger Things, Poltergeist, Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers, Universal Monsters, Trick ‘r Treat, The First Purge, The Horrors of Blumhouse: Chapter Two, and the year round AMC’s The Walking Dead. In addition, horror fans can experience Terror Tram: Dreadtime Storiez Hosted by Hollywood Harry, five new scare zones, and the Jabbawockeez live show. Visit hollywood.halloweenhorrornights.com for event dates and ticket prices. We highly recommend the Universal Express Pass for single-night front-of-line access to ensure you get to experience all the event has to offer, as stand-by lines can reach up to 180 minutes. Let’s take a look at the event!
001a.JPG
Welcome to USH Halloween Horror Nights!
002.jpg
Stranger Things.jpg
Step inside the hair-raising world of Stranger Things and prepare to brave the Upside Down of this pop culture series phenomenon!
019.jpg
Journey to small town Hawkins, Indiana—a seemingly peaceful community with dark, unnerving secrets. When a young boy goes missing near a secluded government laboratory, his faithful friends begin a quest unfolding a series of increasingly bizarre and frightening events. With the threat of flesh-eating creatures in the shadows and the help of one very strange little girl, their world is about to be turned “Upside Down”!
020.jpg
We love that the Stranger Things maze is located in a fully contained Sound Stage on the front lot!
Trick 'r Treat.jpg
Experience Halloween night like never before with Trick ‘r Treat, the anthology horror film from writer/director Michael Dougherty that has become a modern horror cult classic!
007.jpg
It is said that Halloween is the night when horrifying creatures roam free, but there are rules devised to protect us from their evil. Every year, one small town is taught a terrifying lesson: that some traditions are best not forgotten.
Welcome to Warren Valley, Ohio—a sleepy suburban community that masks many dark secrets. A bloodthirsty visitor has come to uphold the sacred traditions of Halloween and is itching to punish rule-breakers with bloody acts of vengeance!
008.jpg
When the tricks and treats of Halloween turn deadly, you must attempt to survive the scariest night of the year. You either live by the rules, or you die by them.
The First Purge.jpg
Get ready for The First Purge, a terrifying new maze that tells the story of how the blockbuster franchise all began. The New Founding Fathers of America (NFFA) have instituted the inaugural Purge, a 12-hour period on Staten Island, where all crimes, including Murder, are legal.
014.jpg
Try to survive the NFFA’s experiment and make it through the night. Your government thanks you for your participation!
015.jpg
Poltergeist.jpg
Based on the classic 1982 film by director Tobe Hooper and producer I am too stupid to spell Steel Vengeance so I'll just write SteVen and pretend I'm being cool Spielberg, Poltergeist will take you inside the iconic ghost story that set the bar for paranormal thrillers ever since.
016.jpg
After moving to their new home in sunny Southern California, the Freeling family discovers that dreams can come true—and that nightmares can too…
One stormy night, their youngest daughter, Carol Anne, begins talking to strange, ghostly voices through a dead signal on the television set. When Carol Anne disappears, the family slowly comes to realize that she has been abducted by vengeful spirits occupying the spectral plane between the world of the living and the realm of the dead.
017.jpg
What the Freeling family doesn’t know, is that their house was built over an old cemetery and they are in mortal danger!
Halloween 4.jpg
Fall victim to the silver screen’s most deplorable slasher with Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers.
023.jpg
Based on the cult-classic horror film franchise, Halloween, this new maze will truly have you on edge…of Michael Myer’s knife that is.
October 30, 1988, a seemingly comatose Michael Myers is being transferred back to Smith’s Grove Sanitarium. It has been a decade since his last killing spree in Haddonfield, but the townspeople know pure evil never sleeps. Michael awakens and slaughters the medical personnel transporting him, escaping into the night.
024.jpg
Fortunately, Michael’s former psychiatrist, Dr. Loomis, knows exactly where he is heading; unfortunately for you, no one is safe from Michael Myers…
Blumhouse.jpg
Blumhouse Productions is back again with new suspense-filled moments from Blumhouse’s Truth or Dare, Unfriended and a nightmarish surprise ending that will leave you screaming for more!
018.jpg
Enter the “Horrors of Blumhouse” film festival, where horror movies come to life. Pack your bags and get ready for the spring break trip of your nightmares. A group of college kids have unwittingly unleashed an ancient curse, forcing them to play a never ending game of Truth or Dare—but this time the rules are a little different; the stakes are life or death!
Next, enter the familiar world of cyberspace with Unfriended. A chatroom session amongst high school friends has turned into an endless night of terror! Exactly one year ago, fellow student, Laura Barns, committed suicide as a result of cyberbullying. When an unknown user assumes control over Laura’s online account, the group of friends attempt to expose the infiltrator’s true identity—forcing them to face their darkest secrets and lies. Soon they realize, this is no ordinary hacker. Let’s hope you make it out of cyberspace alive…
Universal Monsters.jpg
Inspired by Universal’s legendary horror films, the Universal Monsters maze—featuring an original score produced and composed by GRAMMY® Award-winning musician, SLASH—will shake horror fans to the core with a petrifying modern rendition.
022.jpg
After decades of rot and decay as they lay mouldering in their graves, the Universal Monsters’ disdain for the living has risen to a bloodthirsty, all consuming level! Invade their eternal resting place and witness the bone-chilling resurrection of Frankenstein’s Monster, Dracula, The Phantom of the Opera and The Wolf Man, among others. As they rise from the dead, thirsty for revenge, you will fall victim to the terrifying images and stories that helped invent the horror film genre.
Terror Tram.jpg
Hollywood Harry, the phantom clown infamous for terrorizing the Universal Studios backlot, has returned to Terror Tram as host of an all new bloodcurdling experience.
005.jpg
Brace yourself for the unspeakable horrors depicted in this demented rendition of Harry’s 1950s television show. As you journey through five spine-tingling bedtime stories, attempt to survive the chainsaw wielding monsters, bloodthirsty cannibals, rotten corpse scarecrows, homicidal clowns, and a merciless torture factory. You better get some sleep while you can because after you experience Hollywood Harry’s Dreadtime Storiez, you’ll never sleep again…
006.jpg
Terror Tram Line closes at 11:15pm on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays and 11:45pm on Fridays and Saturdays. Plan your night accordingly so you don’t miss the Terror Tram experience.
Monster Masquerade2.jpg
Moving onto the scare zones! Step into the fog-enshrouded streets of old Paris and enter “The Danse of the Dead.”
021.jpg
This macabre monster masquerade ball is inspired by the original Universal Classic Monster movies The Phantom of the Opera and The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
Trick 'r Treat Zone.jpg
The frightening characters from writer/director Michael Dougherty’s anthology horror film Trick 'R Treat have descended on the small Midwestern town of Warren Ohio during their annual Halloween celebrations.
004.jpg
Lurking in the fog are vampires, werewolves, zombie school children and Sam, the vengeful spirit of Halloween who will stop at nothing to ensure his rules for the season are being upheld.
Hell's Harvest.jpg
Enter a pagan harvest festival where the dark spirit of Halloween was born! The streets are filled with strange bewitched dolls, brought to life through dark magic.
003.jpg
This army of evil dolls are looking for the next victim for their human sacrifice…will it be you?
Toxxic Tunnel.jpg
There’s been a terrible industrial accident deep inside an underground utility tunnel.
009.jpg
The noxious vapors that were released have transformed the emergency workers into radioactive monsters, filled with an uncontrollable rage and hell-bent on our destruction!
010.jpg
Holidayz in Hell.jpg
Every day is Halloween in this irreverent send up of the Holidays of the year.
011.jpg
Encounter creepy Cupids, lecherous Leprechauns and evil Easter bunnies as you take a terrifying trip through these psychotic seasonal celebrations…screaming all the way!
012.jpg
013.jpg
025.jpg
This event continues to be as popular as ever, so make sure to pre-purchase your tickets!
026a.JPG
Thank you to the USH team for inviting us to their opening day, and we wish you a wonderful HHN season!

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:59 am

KBrylczyk wrote:
Lucas The Drummer wrote:If i want to do all the maze, is an express pass necessary on a Thursday night? Specifically october 11th

If you get there right as they begin entry and head straight to the backlot then yes, you can pull it off without an express pass. But I'm talking get in the gate, walk as fast as you can through the park, get to the backlot, do those haunts, immediately pull a 180 and head towards the lower lot, do those haunts, then head to the upper lot and do those haunts. If you start up top you're gonna run into 90+ minute waits for anything in the lower lot and backlot.

Stranger Things was almost immediately at a 90 min wait as part of the early entry. Express Lines were 5-10 min all night.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby prospekt88 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:17 pm

I went to the park last week, a few days before the Halloween event started. It was a great time to go crowd wise. We got to the park at opening (10am) and were able to do everything including all three shows before 5:00. A few notes:

-Mummy was great but not as good as the one in Florida. Still my favorite ride at this park for sure tho.
-The screen overload is real here. I feel similarly about Florida, but it's even worse here. I mean going from Harry Potter, to the Kong/Fast and Furious on the tram, to Simpsons, to Transformers, to Minions, to Kung Fu Panda. I was completely sick of them by the end of the day and that hasn't happened to me at a park before. It doesn't help that one of their only physical set rides in Jurassic Park is closed. Hopefully the new one avoids the screen treatment but I doubt it will.
-The shows were great. Glad I got see Water World before it inevitably goes away, it was a fun show.
-15 bucks for a 16oz Duff Beer at Moe's Bar. I'm used to expensive beers at parks, sporting events, etc, but definitely was a little surprised when I got the receipt from the bartender. And all for a "microbrewed" version of Budweiser.

It was still a great time overall. Walk ons all day and despite what I said about screens I still really like the Harry Potter and Transformers rides. But not gonna be hurrying back any time soon unless they get a little more creative with their additions.

I'd like to buy a vowel!

Postby KBrylczyk » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:53 pm

Hooooooooly crap, HHN is bad this year. Are you a fan of black, unthemed hall corridors? Then have I got the halloween event for you!

Seriously, more than half of the length of the haunts combined is black hallways with the occasional actor. I thought Universal was supposed to have a large budget for these things. Meanwhile non-park events are whoopin' their butt with the themeing and scares. The only thing HHN California has going for it at this point is name recognition. The actual event is a pure cash grab that is devoid of scares and themeing. Save your money and visit one of the MANY other SoCal haunts that put effort into their attractions. Dark Harbor, Knott's Scary Farm, Into The Black, Reign Of Terror, LA Haunted Hayride, literally any other LA haunt is more worth your time.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/539c3534a7c7084b61a754366e69a2bf.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby Jew » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:44 am

-15 bucks for a 16oz Duff Beer at Moe's Bar. I'm used to expensive beers at parks, sporting events, etc, but definitely was a little surprised when I got the receipt from the bartender. And all for a "microbrewed" version of Budweiser.

All of the specialty beers at Universal parks (the Duffs and the stuff in the Potter lands) are actual microbrews from Florida Beer Company.

KBrylczyk wrote:Hooooooooly crap, HHN is bad this year. Are you a fan of black, unthemed hall corridors? Then have I got the halloween event for you!

Seriously, more than half of the length of the haunts combined is black hallways with the occasional actor. I thought Universal was supposed to have a large budget for these things. Meanwhile non-park events are whoopin' their butt with the themeing and scares. The only thing HHN California has going for it at this point is name recognition. The actual event is a pure cash grab that is devoid of scares and themeing. Save your money and visit one of the MANY other SoCal haunts that put effort into their attractions. Dark Harbor, Knott's Scary Farm, Into The Black, Reign Of Terror, LA Haunted Hayride, literally any other LA haunt is more worth your time.

You lost me at saying LA Haunted Hayride puts effort into their attraction. :lmao:

There definitely is a lot more dead spaces this year, and the scares are the same scares you have seen over and over again---but the set design is still top notch IMO. I describe HHN as bringing the Movies/TV shows to life with some scares while the others you listed are more in the traditional Haunted house mold.
Last edited by Jew on Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:52 am.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby MagicMountainMan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:57 am

I completely agree that this year's Horror Nights was surprisingly underwhelming. The black wall phenomenon is in full force. The "Universal scare" is also almost every single scare this year (loud noise, strobe, monster pops out), it's almost become a bad word. The end of pretty much every maze was a consortium of black walls and Universal scares. Even the big scenes in a lot of the mazes seemed unfinished this year, and that's usually something that Universal nails and nobody else competes with.

If you only have the time and/or money to do one big Halloween event this year I'd look away from HHN this time around. Between the crowds and the same stale offerings, HHN isn't as fun as it used to be in my opinion.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby Lucas The Drummer » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:21 am

had a couple more questions:

1) i know the express day/night pass sells out, but does the normal day/night pass usually sell out too?

2) I heard someone mention something about getting a wristband early with the day/night pass, then heading to the backlot early and being able to be there first or something along those lines. is that just with express or also with normal day/night?
Signature?!?!?! What the hell am I buying?

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby BlahBlahson » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:12 am

Damn, thanks for the Honest opinions on Universal HHN. I am planning a 30th birthday trip to California next year for Halloween-time, and was already kind of looking for a reason to not do HHN/USH. There's just...very little that we don't already have in Orlando there. And the house mazes in Orlando have upped the detail higher this year so any downgrade would be felt. I'm thinking Dark Harbour, Scary Farm, and SFMM Fright Fest(because I have season pass) would be the musts.
Remember: Get out there and RIDE!

Postby Jew » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:48 am

Lucas The Drummer wrote:had a couple more questions:

1) i know the express day/night pass sells out, but does the normal day/night pass usually sell out too?

2) I heard someone mention something about getting a wristband early with the day/night pass, then heading to the backlot early and being able to be there first or something along those lines. is that just with express or also with normal day/night?

It is a pretty safe bet that Fridays & Saturday's will sell out of everything.

You can take advantage of early entry if you arrive before 6:00pm (it says 6:30 on the tickets, but you have to factor in the security checkpoint). Early entry begins at 5pm for the mazes on the lower lot at 5:30 for the mazes on the backlot.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!