Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

P. 260: Harry Potter Christmas & Grinchas begin 11/24/17
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Postby anonymouscactus » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:03 pm

I've seen conflicting information with how the wristbands work, specifically with the 2pm combo. The plan is to do the lower lot stuff during the "early opening", but some info I read previous years say you get the wristbands when you first enter as long as you choose the proper entrance for after 2 admissions. I've also read you can get them somewhere (where?) between 2-5p so you can stay in the park / lower lot. I've also read that you have to enter and come back in. Any insight with how this works? The plan is to do the lower lot haunts ASAP.

Also, some mentioned a "late" FOL option for half price... where are those sold in case we run low on time? Is there any difference from the regular hhn FOL? (IE: rides are still included, etc)

Thanks!

This button makes my penis erect.

Postby DJeXeL » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:25 am

Wristbands can be picked up at Main Entry Gate OR the "Universal Box Office" which is inside the park next to Starbucks in the Upper Lot. There's no need to exit the park and re-enter. The late FOL option includes Mummy, Jurassic Park, Transformers, and Simpsons as well as HHN mazes.
- Insane In The Lift Chain -

"You shut your mouth when you talk to me"

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby anonymouscactus » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:30 am

^ great info. Thank you.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby DoubleDown » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:25 pm

I have loved HHN at Universal for the past decade now. The mazes were remarkable, the amount of monsters in the streets were insane, I always have had a couple instances where I actually got "scared" or caught off guard. Not too many years ago, the crowds were bearable, the lines for the mazes weren't usually more than an hour, and you could get on a few big attractions as well (Mummy, Jurassic Park, The SImpsons). There are very few people on here who will agree with me, but I found it remarkably better than Knott's Scary Farm which I had attended YEARS before going to Universal, which I always kind of walked away disappointed.

The way the crowds have been the past couple years has just thrown me off, especially if you're just going for general admission, the lines and amount of people are insane. It almost got to a point the last time I went that the amount of people and the lines kind of ruined the experience.

The only way I'd go back is getting a VIP pass (which I think they are now calling the RIP Pass), but it looks like they've changed it a bit, and I probably won't get to this year, but I am already looking to get it done in 2018. I might even treat my friends with a surprise and foot the whole bill so they don't have to worry about the cost and we can just GO.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby laqueefa » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:55 pm

DoubleDown wrote:I have loved HHN at Universal for the past decade now. The mazes were remarkable, the amount of monsters in the streets were insane, I always have had a couple instances where I actually got "scared" or caught off guard. Not too many years ago, the crowds were bearable, the lines for the mazes weren't usually more than an hour, and you could get on a few big attractions as well (Mummy, Jurassic Park, The SImpsons). There are very few people on here who will agree with me, but I found it remarkably better than Knott's Scary Farm which I had attended YEARS before going to Universal, which I always kind of walked away disappointed.

The way the crowds have been the past couple years has just thrown me off, especially if you're just going for general admission, the lines and amount of people are insane. It almost got to a point the last time I went that the amount of people and the lines kind of ruined the experience.

The only way I'd go back is getting a VIP pass (which I think they are now calling the RIP Pass), but it looks like they've changed it a bit, and I probably won't get to this year, but I am already looking to get it done in 2018. I might even treat my friends with a surprise and foot the whole bill so they don't have to worry about the cost and we can just GO.

I will echo your sentiment for the passed years, but this year was such a let down. I don't know if the budget was cut, but it sure seemed like it. It felt more like I was walking around a fair, going from maze to maze vs. the immersive event that HHN has been in the past. Hopefully, it returns to its former self next year. If you get the chance, spend the money on Scary Farm this year.
Tigga, please!

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby CedarFlags » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:58 pm

After a really fabulous visit in 2016, I'm not sold on HHN this year...

The downside of Universal using films/TV for all of their mazes is that they picked a bunch of movies I don't care about. On top of that: American Horror Story, the Chucky Tram, and Titans of Terror are all re-boots from last year (that I wasn't super impressed with). And even The Purge stuff got recycled for the Blumhouse maze.

Universal's execution is always top notch. They will always be #1 at that, but the creative side of this year feels uninspired. Krampus was a movie maze... but it was a kooky and really unique movie that translated into a DELIGHTFUL maze. Lets have more of that.

Add to that the insanely long lines and steep ticket price... maybe I'll split my money up on some more independent haunts this year.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby laqueefa » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:15 am

CedarFlags wrote:After a really fabulous visit in 2016, I'm not sold on HHN this year...

The downside of Universal using films/TV for all of their mazes is that they picked a bunch of movies I don't care about. On top of that: American Horror Story, the Chucky Tram, and Titans of Terror are all re-boots from last year (that I wasn't super impressed with). And even The Purge stuff got recycled for the Blumhouse maze.

Universal's execution is always top notch. They will always be #1 at that, but the creative side of this year feels uninspired. Krampus was a movie maze... but it was a kooky and really unique movie that translated into a DELIGHTFUL maze. Lets have more of that.

Add to that the insanely long lines and steep ticket price... maybe I'll split my money up on some more independent haunts this year.

Not only that, but they gave us a handful of mazes based off of movies that aren't even out yet... Maybe if they had been, more people could connect with their maze counterparts. The park just wasn't the immersive event it usually is. It didnt feel like HHN to me... more like Universal Studios normal operations, with haunt mazes.

I'm not too sure I would consider AHS a re-boot from last year, as they didn't cover the Roanoke story in last years AHS maze.
Tigga, please!

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:29 am

Universal Studios Hollywood has sent us a press release about the upcoming holiday offerings including the debut of "Christmas in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" and the return of Grinchmas!

It’s the most wonderful time of the year at The Entertainment Capital of L.A. as Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal CityWalk deck the halls for a wintry calendar of festive holiday experiences and an array of delectable treats that families and friends far and wide can enjoy.

The all-new “Christmas in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” experience will resonate throughout the immersive land this yuletide season transforming the iconic HogwartsTM castle into a dazzling light projection spectacular, while the quaint town of Hogsmeade village shines brightly with décor uniquely themed to each of the individual storefronts.

The a cappella Frog Choir, comprised of Hogwarts students and their giant throaty frogs, will perform all-new holiday themed songs.

A wide selection of all-new custom-made Christmas ornaments created especially for “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” will also debut this season. Collectibles include a variety of decorative Hogwarts castle snow globes, Hogwarts crest and mascot ornaments representing each of the houses, as well as a collection of unique tree toppers and house pennant garland.

Newly introduced holiday-themed fare and the eagerly-awaited seasonal return of hot Butterbeer will further complement the overall experience.

“Christmas in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” will take place daily from November 24, 2017 through January 7, 2018.

The all-new “Christmas in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” experience invites guests to celebrate this special time of year in J.K. Rowling’s compelling Wizarding World for themselves.

As night falls on Hogsmeade village, “The Magic of Christmas at Hogwarts TM Castle” will illuminate Hogwarts™ School of Witchcraft and Wizardry with colorful imagery and impressive dimensional animations that dance across Hogwarts castle in tandem to a musical arrangement from the Harry Potter movies.

“Christmas in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” represents the immersive land’s first holiday themed program since opening at Universal Studios Hollywood in 2016.

“Grinchmas™” returns to Universal Studios Hollywood with a Who-lebration of fun fit for The Grinch, his faithful dog Max and a roster of Who-ville Whos. The annual event comes to life with a towering 60 foot tall whimsical “Grinchmas” tree where Martha May Who-vier and the Who Dolls will take center stage performing energetic musical sets to usher in the Christmas season in style. The Who-liday Singers—a hip boy-band ensemble—will perform nightly a cappella concerts featuring a mix of Christmas favorites and pop rock.

“Grinchmas” will take place weekends on December 2-3 and 9-10, and daily from December 15 through December 31, 2017.

Spirited holiday décor and festive whimsy will permeate throughout the theme park including “Despicable Me Minion Mayhem” and the adjoining “Super Silly Fun Land” as a crew of very merry and mischievous Minions gleefully spread Christmas cheer to visitors of all ages.

A spectacular 40-foot tall Christmas tree will glisten with 200,000 LED icicles choreographed to the lights and sounds of the season in the 5 Towers plaza. Santa Claus will make nightly appearances and offer special photo opportunities at 5 Towers.

The iconic, dancing water fountain situated at the heart of CityWalk will also make a splash this holiday season. This visually dynamic fountain, displaying over 230 individual power jets, will project streams of choreographed water into the air complemented by red and green LED lights and an array of holiday-themed music.

Free concert performances at “5 Towers” and an eclectic ensemble of talented street performers will make CityWalk the ultimate L.A. holiday destination.

The spirit of the season continues with a wintertime transformation of Universal CityWalk, beginning the day after Thanksgiving on Friday, November 24 through Sunday, December 23, 2017.

The holidays at Universal Studios Hollywood is included in the price of theme park admission. More information is available at http://www.UniversalStudiosHollywood.com. Like Universal Studios Hollywood on Facebook and follow @UniStudios on Instagram and Twitter.

Admission to Universal CityWalk is free. More information available at http://www.CityWalkHollywood.com

A similar holiday program will also take place at Universal Orlando Resort.
USH Holidays - Christmas in the WWoHP.JPG
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!