TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood T.R 4-2-05

Just to let you guys know in advance there is no pictures in my T:R =(

Sorry, I had problems with the camera.

The last time that I had been to U.S.H was for my 7th birthday with my Tiger Cubs group! And wow it has changed. (Mainly for the better)

We arrived at the Park at 9:10 AM (Just 10 minutes after the park opened) He parked in the Jurassic Parking City.

We step out of the parking area and I'm blown away by City Walk! I don't remember it from when I was last there! It has all the cool stores and places to eat! (Gotta Love it!)

We get to the Ticket Booths (We bought our tickets at a Vons, they were only $33 each) I saw that under the sign that said "Attractions Not Operating today" there was a little sign that said "Jaws". I had no idea what that was! I remember that on the tram ride Jaws pops out at you. So maybe they consider the shark to be an attraction.

We get inside the park and I'm once again blown away by just how sweet it looks inside! Cast Members everywhere, it was like falling in love with Magic Mountain all over again. I knew that I had to ride Jurassic Park and Mummy. So we head down to the lower lot. Robb wasn't lying! It does take 3 frickin hours to get to the bottom or top of the park! Everything about Jurassic Park was better than I ever imagined it. However, the falling truck wasn't working. But at least I saw 2 maintence people working on it so U.S.H earned some points there.

Jurassic Park : 9/10

Next up was Mummy! I was really excited about riding this ride because; well it just looked so cool. The line gives you a bootleg, deja vu feel of Indiana Jones at the DLR. Then we step into the car! I was on the edge of my seat for sure! So we get dispatched and we go by some ultra chessey mummys and such. "ummm...thats okay, the rest of the ride will make up for it". Then, I see a plasma Screen TV at the top of the room!!! I mean, WTF! Very bad theming. "Okay, well the REST of the ride is gonna be cool!" So the mummy dude says "Yours souls are mine" And theres the launch! I knew it wasn't going to be a fast launch, but it was fun. (Felt a lot like Superman's Launch) Then instead of seeing "more" themeing I get the feeling that I'm riding space mountain. Then I see something that KILLED mummy. About every 40 FT or so there is a cartoon boogy guy that is prejected by lasers on a net. I was almost crying about how bad this ride was. Now, I knew that the ride went backwards at some point. I see a wall up ahead, and I figure that we are going too fast for us to just stop and go backwards. But NOPE, it felt like we were going at least 15 MPH, than BANG! We stop, as if someone pressed the E-stop! Then what do I see! Plasma Screen TV Bugs coming from the walls!! ..OOHHH...no!!!! So then we go backwards, which was not fun but more sick feeling. Then you all of a sudden get thrown into this stupid square room where it's suppost to be the desert. Then our Car turns around and we get BLASTED with what felt like fire extinguishers! And thats it, the stupid staff working at the ride is all clapping for you when you get off their ride!

Revenge of the Mummy: 2/10 (Launch was fun)

So, to cheer us all up lets go on Jurassic Park twice in a row! Yeah!

Just as fun as it was the first time. Except you know where all the hiding dinos are.

After that we head over to BackDraft. It was okay, they broke it though so we had to wait an extra 20 min the firehouse set.

BackDraft

+Fire!

+Explosions!

+A girl jumped and grabbed me instead of her boyfriend!

-Rose (AKA our Hostess)

- 20 Min. Breakdown

Then we went over to the Sound Stage

This was a really cool and funny show that should NOT be missed!

Sound Stage Show: 10/10

Then its back up the mountain!

At this point its about 11. We walk around the upper lot just looking through shops and seeing what some of the show times were. We started to get hungry so we headed to City Walk to grab a bite to eat. On our way into the Park we noticed that City Walk had a Wasabi!!! (AKA: Best Sushi Chain EVER!) So we had lunch there.

Wasabi: 8.5/10

"ahhh...sushi"

I had this spicy tuna big momma roll thing and it was really burning my throat for the next half hour or so. So before we head back into the park we looked through a few of the shops that City Walk had to offer.

We enter the park full, and ready to go on more rides. We waited for the Backlot Trams for about 45 Minutes. ( we saw some serious line jumpers ) Our Driver was the BEST! We are still quoting things that he said! Almost everything about the Tram Ride was as I had rememberd it being. We get to the Jaws part of the Tram Ride and I didn't think the Shark was operating because it said that Jaws was closed!!! Well, the shark pops out and scares the living hell out of me. We got to go past this really cool set where A 747 Airplane was all torn apart (This site has pictures of the set). We also got to go by Wooville! The only other thing that was different was that there used to be a spinning Ice tunnel. Now it got turned into a spinning Mummy tunnel. It has some chessey effects; but it can still turn your stomach! I actually liked the tunnel better than Revenge of the Mummy!! Then to everyone's great suprise we got to see a.....STAR!!! He's the guy who played the origninal Jim West in the old Wild West TV series. He also played the President in "Wild Wild West" Starring Will Smith and Kevin Kline.

Tram Ride 9.5/10

+A star!

+Great Driver

+Great Sets!

After that we decide to check out a few more shops then head over to Shrek 4D. After waiting over 1 hour for this show we finnally get seated. Well, the story was a little weak, and the "jerky chair" was an overkill in a lot of parts. But meh, its fun. But no longer than 20 Minutes for it.

Shrek 4D

+Ok storyline

+It really gets your physically invloved.

- They leave you standing outside for 1 hour. Then bring you inside to stand for another 20 minutes.

-TOO MUCH STANDING!

Shrek 4D: 6.5/10

Then we decided to check the west end of the park a little bit more. Then we wind back towards the Animal Planet show. We want to go to the show that starts at 5 and its 4:30. So we make a run for Back to the Future.

We couldn't figure out their damn queue system! So when we think the wait is over...they stick us in a little doctors office to STAND!

Ok, so we grab the front of the car. I always thought it was like star tours, but its more like a Soaring over california. (All the cars are in one big screen room) The rides cool, just don't turn your head right or left because then you will see everyone else in their cars, that sorta kills the effect a bit. Overall its better than star tours. But, its still just a simulator.

Back to the Future: The Ride

7/10

So we make it just in time for the beginning of the Animal Planet Live show! Some of their Animals wern't doing what they were being told to. Such as "Sit boy!.." *Dog stares at human* < Repeat that about 10 times. When the show did get started it was fun. But then...it ENDED way too soon!

Animal Planet Live 5/10

+A snake

+Rodents (No not together ^)

-Bad dogs!

-Not a funny script

-Way too short

-Nothing special about it.

So it's getting to be about 5, we've done pretty much everything we wanted to do. So what else to do but. ride JURASSIC PARK AGAIN!

Too our great suprise the line was now FULL! But,it's Jurassic Park!

Well, I get the front, far left seat! I was laughing at the people who bought Ponchos for $2 because on this ride...ya just don't need em!.....

...enless your sitting in the front row and the far left seat! So everything is cool right until we get to the top of the biggest lift hill. Now the drop on this lift hill is only about 5 or 6 feet. But thats big enough for a huge wave of water to come splashing on your lap soaking your pants,your boxers,your money,map, etc.!!! But, who cares, I've been blessed with the holy water from Jurassic Park! So, rides over and I'm walking like C-3PO from Star Wars in their Gift Shop. And to think I was the one who laughed at the people for buying ponchos. HA

So its really cold out! My Pants are soaking through, and it almost hurts to work in wet jeans! Now for some odd reason a Coke heats me up. So I buy a coke at a nearby stall. To my great suprise the price was actually ok!!! So, the ride up the mountain was very cold but my coke was heating me up.

He are heading towards the end of the park to leave when we have to stop and take in a few minutes of the Blues Brothers Show.

We walk through City walk sorta looking in shops. (Remember people I'm in horrible Pain!)

And that about does it.

Universal Studios Hollywood: 9.5/10

Magic Mountain....move down the bench.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sound like you had a really good time. I sometimes helps when you haven't been to USH in a long time! Part of the problem I have with that park is that there just isn't enough to do on return visits.

I mean, I think it's a really nice park and really well run, 2nd to Disney in So Cal. We have our "buy a day, get a year free...." passes, and it's a park we probably go to a couple of times a year, but don't usually stay more than a couple of hours.

I think if they had one or two more "A" rides, like Spiderman and MiB that place could really kick ass!!!

Oddly enough, I'm kind of wanting to go back there...

--Robb

Nice trip report! I definitely agree on the whole "escalator taking forever" thing, considering when I went to USH a few years ago, my dad actually fell asleep goind down that thing! Anyway, about ROTM, many people say that the Hollywood version sucks. All I can say is the Florida version kicks major butt becuase of many things: multiple launches (one being uphill), real fire, and that false ending is sweet. I liked how you rated everything!