TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

700 ft. tall coaster?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fishhook coaster for the Stratosphere in Vegas, it was supposed to go up the side of the stratosphere drop down pull out, go across the strip and go up another hill which went beyond 90 degrees. It looked like a giant fishook. The residents nearby didn't want all that noise so it got vetoed and they started putting more rides on the top.

It could be done. I have a friend that's a mechanical engineer who designed a 800 foot coaster.

His design was quite simple: build a coaster like TTD. it goes up 400 but falls 800 feet into a 400 foot deep cut into the ground, thus creating a 800ft drop. The cost would be huge. The Geology/excavation would be enormous. However, it could be done...

The one on the side of the Stratosphere looked like it was going to be awesome! I can't belive the residents didn't like the idea. I wouldn't think it wouldn't make that much noise. Oh well, I guess they aren't going to build one anytime soon!

Brent "if they do build one, let's hope it's not Arrow!" Shenton

I can't belive the residents didn't like the idea. I wouldn't think it wouldn't make that much noise.

I think they had good reasons to complain. It would have generated alot of noise.

Even a ride like Dragster makes a very loud sound that can be heard from far away. Now increase that noise as the ride would have been much larger.

As much as I'd love to see that ride built, I can understand why the business's around them didn't want a giant noise machine being installed right next door.

That is too tall for thrilling. Once your body falls at a certain speed you lose the freefalling. Has anyone been skydiving before?

Can you really compare skydiving to a roller coaster though? The free fall from a skydive is like what thousands of feet?

It doesn't matter, once the object reaches a certain speed it doesn't increase.

Throw a penny of the Empire State Building and it will be slowed down by wind resistance.

That is too tall for thrilling. Once your body falls at a certain speed you lose the freefalling. Has anyone been skydiving before?

Can you really compare skydiving to a roller coaster though? The free fall from a skydive is like what thousands of feet?

It doesn't matter, once the object reaches a certain speed it doesn't increase.

Throw a penny of the Empire State Building and it will be slowed down by wind resistance.

Falling at terminal velocity for an extended period of time (like during skydiving) would create an unbelievably amazing coaster experience. I guess that's kind of the point of freefall towers though...

I don't see why they need to build any taller, it's the same sensation just lasting longer. I think they should definatley stop building coasters any higher when the cars start to reach terminal velocity, and Dragster almost acheives this. I mean, a ride that makes MF look tiny sounds cool, but these one trick ponys are lame. Why not make a 150fter B&M sit down, Incredible Hulk still gets into many peoples Top 10 and Even Top 3, and it was built like 6 years ago and Top Thrill Dragster IMO will slowly go further back and back with new offerings coming every year that make it seem almost boring and uninnovative.

*Waits for Shepp to flame him*

^True if you threw a penny of the Empire State Building it would be slowed down by the wind, but it still has enough speed to rip three feet into the ground.

Myth.

You would feel it if you hit or the head, and it would bruise, but it wouldn't cut the skin. Yes I do watch to much Discovery Channel. [/nerd]

Stupid Double Posting.

^ ^ Right on the money -

Is it odd I feel 0 weightlessness on Dragster?

I ride it for the launch only. The height does nothing for me.. It's over so quickly.. MF I get more than all those rollercoasters combined on the first hill... THAT'S A COASTER!

Personally the height factor has a negative impact on the coasters I've ridden. The only coasters in my top ten that goes over 200 feet are Xcelerator and Phantom's Revenge, and technically PR only drops over 200 feet. I think riding a coaster over 700 feet would be pointless. I'd rather see Stratosphere strap a big free fall ride to the side of the tower and drop you over 700 feet Intamin style, that way you can tak in the view and then feel like what it would be to fall from the top of Stratosphere. I don't think they'd ever do that since Big Shot is neatly placed at the very top