700 ft. tall coaster?

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Randomness

700 ft. tall coaster?

Postby coasterdude5 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:45 am

The other day, there was a coaster show on the Travel Channel. There was a guy from Arrow that said they had already put in plans for 700 ft. tall coaster. Has anybody ever heard of such a thing happening? And by Arrow?

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby Coasterkid20 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:05 am

The fishhook coaster for the Stratosphere in Vegas, it was supposed to go up the side of the stratosphere drop down pull out, go across the strip and go up another hill which went beyond 90 degrees. It looked like a giant fishook. The residents nearby didn't want all that noise so it got vetoed and they started putting more rides on the top.

Sorry, Not Feeling Very Creative Today!

Postby FlyingScooter » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:39 am

It could be done. I have a friend that's a mechanical engineer who designed a 800 foot coaster.
His design was quite simple: build a coaster like TTD. it goes up 400 but falls 800 feet into a 400 foot deep cut into the ground, thus creating a 800ft drop. The cost would be huge. The Geology/excavation would be enormous. However, it could be done...

This 16 year old puts you to shame

Postby socalMAN123 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:49 am

The one on the side of the Stratosphere looked like it was going to be awesome! I can't belive the residents didn't like the idea. I wouldn't think it wouldn't make that much noise. Oh well, I guess they aren't going to build one anytime soon!
Brent "if they do build one, let's hope it's not Arrow!" Shenton
Disobey

Is that a giant golf ball?

Postby alpengeistdude321 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:36 am

S&S took over Arrow a while back so it might be a good ride.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Carnage » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:31 am

socalMAN123 wrote: I can't belive the residents didn't like the idea. I wouldn't think it wouldn't make that much noise.

I think they had good reasons to complain. It would have generated alot of noise.

Even a ride like Dragster makes a very loud sound that can be heard from far away. Now increase that noise as the ride would have been much larger.

As much as I'd love to see that ride built, I can understand why the business's around them didn't want a giant noise machine being installed right next door.

The Resident Smart-Ass

Postby CoasterFanatic » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:45 am

If it was built be S&S, you better believe that thing would be loud. Anyone who has stood in line for HyperXLC would most likely agree.
Ted

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Coasterlicious » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:18 pm

IM guessing Intamin is going to be the one to reach the 700 mark soon... they just keep building up, up, and up...

Eastcoast Management

Postby Justin » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:16 pm

That is too tall for thrilling. Once your body falls at a certain speed you lose the freefalling. Has anyone been skydiving before?

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Coasterlicious » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:38 pm

Justin wrote:That is too tall for thrilling. Once your body falls at a certain speed you lose the freefalling. Has anyone been skydiving before?

Can you really compare skydiving to a roller coaster though? The free fall from a skydive is like what thousands of feet?

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!