TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is your favorite park Train (choo-choo)?

The steam railroad in Dollywood is definitely impressive for a theme park railroad.

I researched it and it looks like the Dollywood Express has the most powerful fleet of steam locomotives out of any theme park railroad based on the average tractive effort (i.e.: how "strong" they are) of its locomotives (Tweetsie Railroad, its former sister park, is #2 and the one at Knott's is #3). That's a good thing because Dollywood's railroad has one of the steepest max grades out of any theme park railroad at 5%, which means at its steepest it climbs 5 feet during a single 100-foot stretch of track (typically, railroad companies frown on having grades steeper than 2%, as it can put too much strain on the locomotives). Hooray, for preserved mountain railroad trains!

• 1 month later...

Currently, this one...

IMG_1986.JPG.ae7f6e2b0565f66a43b2801432909593.JPG

Beautiful. Knott's Berry Farm. Sept.11, 2016 during West Coast Bash.

IMG_1985.JPG.a53c0f68232b3e331dd2ff4e6200dd5c.JPG

From a distance. With Boomerang, The Tower, a bit of Accelerator, and the Mine Train Mountain in back.

^ I actually get a kick out of where Disney puts their dinosaurs in the train ride, in the couple of it's parks that have it included, one way or another.

In Disneyland, it's at the end of an entire ride around the park. Following the original Grand Canyon Diorama, that Walt himself created and loved!

And in Tokyo Disneyland, the dinosaurs are located....right beside Big Thunder Mountain!

Just before the train returns to it's station. No Grand Canyon. Just the dinos.

Disneyland Paris has only the Grand Canyon Diorama at the beginning, so as to hide view of the Phantom Manor show bldg.

TDLthundermtnOverview.jpg.ef1d4f3100e52788d57425ceff098545.jpg

TDL - The building on the right there, is where dinosaurs be! (o; Thank you to whoever took this photo!

Edited by Nrthwnd

Frisco Silver Dollar Line at Silver Dollar City gets my vote. I love the cheesy show in the middle of the ride. You can't help but to laugh at it. Not to mention you get some interesting views of some of the rides, and the park. Can't wait to ride it at Christmas Time!

• 3 months later...

Hello err'body! I'm in the beginning stages of sprucing up the Wikipedia article for the Disneyland Railroad and I need your help.

To make the article complete I need pics of the DRR's five locomotives, but the archive of pics for the article doesn't have pics for all of them. At minimum, I need one pic of locomotive #1 (C.K. Holliday) and one pic of locomotive #3 (Fred Gurley) similar to the pic I attached to this post. If you have the pics I need and are willing to release them to the public domain, I will upload them and make sure to credit you when doing so. If you happen to have pics of all five locomotives that look relatively uniform (same angle, same place on the track, same time of day, etc.), that would be even better! I have already raised the article for the Walt Disney World Railroad to Good Article status, and that's my plan for the Disneyland Railroad article. With your assistance, I can easily make that happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disneyland_Railroad

disneyland_200707_number5_neworleanssquare.jpg.774bf79ac7a84128bd57ee1bc1a150cf.jpg

While nontraditional, I did enjoy the Hogwarts Express in Orlando. They did a pretty good job with the show scenes and the ride made it easy to switch parks.

As far as traditional trains, I like the ones at Magic Kingdom and Disneyland since they're long, good for getting around the park, and have pretty good sights along the way.

Repeating an earlier post here, but I think my favourite Disney parks train, is still the one in Tokyo Disneyland.

It's the only train I know of Disney's, where the train ride itself is the

attraction, and not transport, like in the other Magic Kingdoms. You get on

and get off at the same Western Railroad station. And the station is

elevated above where you board the Jungle River Cruise boats.

Back in 1983, when the Resort opened, Japanese transit taxes wouldn't

allow Disney (at that time; now it's changed) to have a train circle the park

and have more than one station. But the Japanese still wanted a big

Disneyland-style train ride, so Western Railroad was created.

You travel through the forest beside the Jungle Cruise, then come out of it,

to travel past Splash Mountain and around the Rivers of America. Then

the train heads around Big Thunder Mountain and into a tunnel and.....

WesternRailroadTDL.jpg.7cf5a0634beb3c308aa0627b3e460310.jpg

Old photo of the train route (clockwise). Without Splash Mountain at the bottom of the pic.

TDLMansionSplash.JPG.cde82a9b92188cd734c9e36296b7549f.JPG

Western Railroad passes by Splash Mtn. and Haunted Mansion attractions.

• 5 months later...

I'm amending my previous answer from a few pages (and years) back. The Hogwarts Express is the obvious answer, but I'm also a big fan of Busch Tampa if you ride it from the front of the park to the station near Kumba since it provides great views of the animals.

• 4 years later...
5 hours ago, prozach626 said:

Saint Louis Zoo has a great train. It gets you pretty close to the animal enclosures and there are several long tunnels.

Agreed, and I like how you can take the train to the different areas and just hop on and off.

• Like 1

There really are two kinds of theme park trains, those that are useful as transportation and those that only have one station and serve as entertainment only.

As useful for transportation:

1. Cedar Point - Bonetown is awesome!

2. Kings Island - Because I don't ever want to walk to the waterpark

3. Michigan's Adventure - Literally the only way to connect the backside of that park

As entertainment:

1. Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, Knott's Berry Farm - Three way tie, because all three use actual railroad rolling stock and put on a show during the trip.