Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4248 - Steel Vengeance Front Seat POV!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby Password121 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:25 pm

^ :nina: That would be correct. On a summer midnight close at Millennium Force (one particular with a PM ERT and opened for early entry the following day) I had less than 5 hours between shifts. So about 3.5 hours of sleep between 12-18 hour shifts.

There's a lot to be said there about loving the job, but pushing that back another hour wouldn't be helping the employees or park out necessarily.
2017 Millennium Force Ride Host
2018 Millennium Force Team Leader

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:09 am

coasterbill wrote:With a midnight close plus a grace period plus running out the line plus transferring trains off, cleaning and finally clocking out there are probably a lot of ride ops that don’t leave until well after 1am.

Early Entry starts at 10 so the ops need to be there for those rides well ahead of time transferring trains on and running tests so even if you live in the dorms you’re probably maxing out at like 5 hours of sleep as it is.

Kings Island doesn’t have nearly as many Early Entry rides and (based on the fact that they haven’t resorted to closing a bunch of rides early for the season and closing almost half the park on Fridays) they don’t seem to have as much of a staffing problem either so they can probably shift people around a little bit better. At this point I would think that Cedar Point needs to push everyone they can to work from open to close all weekend. I’m sure Kings Island has staffing problems too, but nobody has staffing problems like Cedar Point. :lol:

I'll add to this, that when we were at KI for Haunt earlier this year, they closed the line for The Beast RIGHT AT 1:00, if not a little before. We got off our last ride on it, ran around, and with 1:00 showing on my clock, there wasn't even a worker around, but the line was closed. Being used to CP closing rides around 7 after, I was surprised, and a little bummed. But again, given the late hour, I can understand why they do it that way.

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5.Twisted Timbers 6.The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10.Phantom's Revenge Honorable Mentions: Ravine Flyer II Shivering Timbers, Kraken Mako Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am

thrillrider wrote:Yea, Saturday was just insane.

I wonder why they dont keep the park open till 1am on Saturday nights like kings island does? I mean, with crowds like this I can see a need to.

I still don't understand how seasoned enthusiasts go to any park in the fall and NOT expect them to be rammed. I mean, isn't it a given by now?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillrider » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:12 am

boldikus wrote:

I wonder why they dont keep the park open till 1am on Saturday nights like kings island does? I mean, with crowds like this I can see a need to.

I still don't understand how seasoned enthusiasts go to any park in the fall and NOT expect them to be rammed. I mean, isn't it a given by now?

I went in expecting it. That's why I explained the reason to go was to check out the shows, and let the kids do the kids stuff. Really wasn't planning on hitting the rides till Sunday.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:23 pm

boldikus wrote:

This. I do love reading all of the facebook comments, though.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby KPfan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:59 pm

I was there all day Saturday, unfortunately. Might have been the biggest crowd I've ever seen at CP personally. That combined with the chilly weather meant that I spent more time walking than riding. Sunday was a shorter day but warmer. And the crowd was considerably smaller. Was able to get on almost all of the coasters except for Magnum and Gatekeeper.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby jimmiemac02 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:48 am

A funny video of Dabo describing his ride on Top Thrill Dragster recently. Go Tigers!

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby DorneyKid14 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:43 pm

Password121 wrote:^ :nina: That would be correct. On a summer midnight close at Millennium Force (one particular with a PM ERT and opened for early entry the following day) I had less than 5 hours between shifts. So about 3.5 hours of sleep between 12-18 hour shifts.

There's a lot to be said there about loving the job, but pushing that back another hour wouldn't be helping the employees or park out necessarily.

Didnt work in rides, but in games at Dorney, with midnight closes, leaving work between 1:30-2am getting home 30 minutes later, then having to get up at 7 to be back at the park before 9 was awful. Dunkin becomes your best friend on those days.

One of my former managers at Dorney, used to help out at Cedar Point during haunt. He told me about the time he worked maverick on the parks busiest day in history. He said the park closed at 12, with a three hour wait. Ride closed at 3, took an hour to transfer all the trains off. he was stuck in traffic until 7am when he finally got back to his apartment on the other side of the causeway and had to be back at work by 8am.
Favorite Steel: GateKeeper
Favorite Wood: Outlaw Run
Home Park: DPWWK
Steel: 76 Wood: 24
Total: 100 Parks: 16

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby southpuddle » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:55 pm

I think maybe there was some exaggeration there. Still four hours of traffic ... THREE HOURS AFTER close?

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby coasternut » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:39 pm

^^ Right. Just a "little exaggeration" I think.
Coasternut,

LIVING FOR THAT AIRTIME!! :airtime:

PreviousNext