SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

P. 121 - Tidal Twister, a Skywarp, to be added in 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Re: SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

Postby SteVeUrkle » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:21 am

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see they are investing money in attractions in SeaWorld, but something like this? Ugh.

Rides like this belong with a traveling carnival, not in one of the finer theme parks that's been around for 30+ years.

Plus based off the experiences I've seen and heard with Harley Quinn, the rideability is not that great at all, the systems are clunky and ugly, and the ride is loud as hell. Way louder than they should be for a serene park like SeaWorld. For doing something so basic it sure doesn't seem like these rides know how to do it well. I don't think this is a good installation for Sea World, and I'd rather they had skipped a year in put in something more fitting to the park. This just seems like a crappy quick marketing tool. I can't see it bringing in people to the park that wouldn't have gone there in the first place, I know it won't for me.
Live Cedar Point Queue Times: https://queue-times.com/parks/50/queue_times

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:07 am

SteVeUrkle wrote:Rides like this belong with a traveling carnival, not in one of the finer theme parks that's been around for 30+ years.

Oh, relax, it's a flat ride. Big deal. Not every park has to build their rides portfolio exclusively with roller coasters.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby SLCHeadache » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:13 am

Any reason the Harley Quinn SkyWarp is on RCDB and this isn't?
Top steel: Millennium Force / Steel Vengeance / Intimidator 305 / Maverick / Fury 325
Top wood: El Toro / Phoenix / GhostRider / Renegade / Flying Turns

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:26 am

This looks like a lot of fun.

SteVeUrkle wrote:Rides like this belong with a traveling carnival, not in one of the finer theme parks that's been around for 30+ years.

Arguably the single greatest theme park in the entire world has a carbon copy of a portable Pinfari looper in it. It'll be fine.

SLCHeadache wrote:Any reason the Harley Quinn SkyWarp is on RCDB and this isn't?

I don't know, ask them.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:17 am

Thanks, SteveUrkle! This thread was way too positive, and we really needed someone to completely overreact to this news. We were dangerouly low on complaints and were teetering on the edge of losing our coaster enthusiast site street cred. Now we're safely within coasterboy parameters.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby coasterferg » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:45 am

Looks like a fun addition.

My only complaint with rides like these is why the face-to-face seating??? Perhaps it's the introvert in me, but I don't want to be staring right at strangers when I go on rides, lol.
Coaster Count as of July 2018: 375

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby AdventuresinAirtime » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:56 pm

coasterferg wrote:Looks like a fun addition.

My only complaint with rides like these is why the face-to-face seating??? Perhaps it's the introvert in me, but I don't want to be staring right at strangers when I go on rides, lol.

I'm an introvert too, but i'm guessing it's because it allows them to offer forwards/backwards seating at the same time, people in groups of 3 or 4 can experience it as a group, or its easier mechanically for the ride cars to be designed that way potentially.
Adventures in Airtime Theme Park Podcast:
www.adventuresinairtime.com

Adventures in Airtime on YouTube:

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:34 pm

coasterferg wrote:Looks like a fun addition.

Close your eyes and wear sunglasses, problem solved.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby SteVeUrkle » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:34 am

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Thanks, SteveUrkle! This thread was way too positive, and we really needed someone to completely overreact to this news. We were dangerouly low on complaints and were teetering on the edge of losing our coaster enthusiast site street cred. Now we're safely within coasterboy parameters.

Wait? Is this the "only positive comments allowed SeaWorld Sand Diego Discussion Thread"?

Or is this the one where we're allowed to give our opinion that the park could've skipped this attraction and done a lot better?

Because I think the park deserves better.
Live Cedar Point Queue Times: https://queue-times.com/parks/50/queue_times

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:29 am

SteVeUrkle wrote:Because I think the park deserves better.

You're most certainly entitled to your opinion, but remember that a big theme park doesn't just add a new attraction out of left field. Believe me, there's so much design and planning involved even when an addition is as simple as off-the-shelf flat ride. Obviously the team at SeaWorld Parks thought that Tidal Twister would be a good addition to a decently well-rounded park. They literally just opened Electric Eel too, do you honestly think that the success / failure of Tidal Twister will dictate whether they add that "done a lot better" attraction in a few years? They [apparently] have so much on their slate for the other parks for the 2020 season, someone has to take a skip year or two.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!