TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I haven't gotten a chance to post anything about our Coaster Campout trip last weekend. (F*ck working 18-20 hour days for double homicides!) Here are a few quick highlights:

Despite the weather forecast, our trip was an absolute win. We enjoyed the park more than we ever have.

We visited Saturday and Sunday and cashed in on FL+ both days, despite lines being anywhere from 20-45 minutes. These light'er' crowds made everything with FL+ nearly walk-on.

Camping in the park was an incredibly unique experience and we absolutely loved it. This was our first enthusiast event and the people were weird AF. During SV ERT some of the dudes literally looked like they reached sexual climax when the train rolled into the brake run. We were weirded out.

As for SV, I enjoyed MF, Maverick, Valravn, and Dragster much more. Our first ride in the back seat seemed amazing. We only waited an hour and 15 minutes. During ERT we walked right on our first train. I enjoyed this ride mostly, but a lot less than the first ride. Our third ride we waited about 20 minutes for the front and I was waiting for the ride to end after the first drop. This coaster is too much against the grain for me. I prefer smooth transitions and I don't care for a ride that bucks the entire time. Outward banks and non-traditional banks are not my thing. I can see how it would be a top coaster for anyone else who prefers a ton of airtime, but I'm not a huge fan of relentless constant ejector air. Fantastic coaster, but not for me. Next time we'll take a spin or two and call it a day. We could have easily gone back for 4-5 more rides, but instead we chose to walk around the closed park and enjoy our time together instead, as a no brainer for us. I'm not disappointed, since after riding Storm Chaser and looking at this layout I was pretty apprehensive.

I'll try to post some pictures later on when things slow down, but that might be a bit.

Glad to hear your impressions, and holy crap double homicides? That's gotta be rough. You deserve a vacation after that.

Enthusiast events are crazy. It's a bunch of people who are all here to do what we love most, and everyone does it a little differently. I don't really socialize at those events--a lot of those people creep me out, tbh--but I like that these events exist to help out my fellow weirdos. The parks generally go all out to give a good time, too, and that's the real draw for me. Worth putting up with some awkward interactions for that. Don't blame you if you can't handle it though, some of those people are very far off the norm, especially in terms of social skills.

Camping at a park is so great. We've done it at SDC, Holiday World, and Six Flags St. Louis (the last at a nearby KOA), and I camped solo at Knoebels and Hersheypark. Something very relaxing about sleeping in nature, and also having a bus to take you to a theme park each day.

It's ok if you didn't especially care for Steel Vengeance. That's why they have so many coasters of such variety. MF, Maverick, Dragster and Valravn are all awesome, and I'm glad you had fun riding those. Cedar Point does have something for everyone.

So... on the subject of loving rides with “traditional banks”... it’s funny. I got off of Steel Vengeance in total disbelief. I love the ride to death. It’s one of the best coasters I’ve ever ridden, I have nothing but praise for that masterpiece of a coaster.

Right after we rode it we made our way to Millennium Force and ended up on the first train of the day in the front row with half the rows empty. I figured that a half empty ride in the morning on Millennium Force immediately after riding the most insane ride ever built would be the perfect storm and I would finally come to my senses and have a respectable #1 so you could all stop giving me sh*t but...

Yeah, Millennium Force is just perfection. I was super close to being a respectable coaster fan but that coaster just never stops blowing my mind. Sorry guys

So... on the subject of loving rides with “traditional banks”... it’s funny. I got off of Steel Vengeance in total disbelief. I love the ride to death. It’s one of the best coasters I’ve ever ridden, I have nothing but praise for that masterpiece of a coaster.

Right after we rode it we made our way to Millennium Force and ended up on the first train of the day in the front row with half the rows empty. I figured that a half empty ride in the morning on Millennium Force immediately after riding the most insane ride ever built would be the perfect storm and I would finally come to my senses and have a respectable #1 so you could all stop giving me sh*t but...

Yeah, Millennium Force is just perfection. I was super close to being a respectable coaster fan but that coaster just never stops blowing my mind. Sorry guys

Every time I think about MF, it's always, "wait, why do I like this coaster again?" and then I just remember how ridiculously fast it goes and just never stops. Sensation of speed is off the charts with that ride and the pacing is phenomenal.

I used to be HUGE on Millennium Force, hence the username, but all these new insane and out of control rides have changed my viewpoint on MF a bit throughout the years. Not necessarily for the worse, but now I appreciate it for its elegance and accentuation of speed and height, rather than being completely bonkers.

This was our first enthusiast event and the people were weird AF. During SV ERT some of the dudes literally looked like they reached sexual climax when the train rolled into the brake run. We were weirded out.

Going to Coastermania next week (apart from some ERT on S:UF at Great America when I was a kid, this is my first real enthusiast event) with someone who enjoys a roller coaster here and there, but leaves it at that. They've been warned already, but I'm still worried about what kind of f*ckery we might encounter. Good to hear Coaster Campout worked out for you, though.

Edited by Ed Farmer

Millenium Force may be the perfect coaster.

I love how much you love Millennium Force! It's not my number 1 coaster anymore, but it's still pretty dang close, and there is truly something special about it, that is almost impossible to describe, but has to be experienced! I'm so sick of all the haters, and naysayers... So you go coasterbill! Keep the MF love alive! It's great!

So yeah... Steel Vengeance... holy sh*t

Yeah, I agree. Now, it may not be the greatest ride in the world, but it's hands down relentless.

The ride has so many direction changes, the airtime: it just never stops. As a veteran roller coaster rider, the entire experience was euphoric. I remember thinking when riding, when does this thing STOP going? Holy crap!

Still though, with TTD, Maverick, and MF in the same park, it's kinda something you have to be in the mood for. There's really nothing like that Dragster launch, and MF is just fun although the blue train was running SUPER vibration shakey last weekend. I think if MF had a steeper first drop instead of being so drawn out and floater, I would like it much better, because the relentless speed is just a lot of fun.

This was our first enthusiast event and the people were weird AF. During SV ERT some of the dudes literally looked like they reached sexual climax when the train rolled into the brake run. We were weirded out.

The enthusiasts I met at the passholder preview for Hangtime at Knott's were pretty strange and, frankly, annoying. The people I met when I left Hangtime to mix in with the rest of the crowd on some other rides were way cooler and more fun to talk to. It made me a little worried for what CoasterMania will be like.

[

Is this the first time you've experienced enthusiasts first hand? They've been like that for about 2 decades. When I bring a girl I try to distance myself...

I've seen people who appear to be enthusiasts wearing coaster tee shirts and what not. I'm not Joe Cool by any means, but they always appeared to be pretty nerdy. That doesn't necessarily mean I wouldn't be able to carry on a conversation with them or would completely avoid it. However, a healthy fraction of the people who attended the event had bizarre behavior. They would whoop and holler as they Queue'd up for their second round of ERT. We just let them run past us. The clapping, screaming, and cheering was a little intense for me. The thing that really weirded us out the most was the expressions we saw as the train moved into the station. Like... I know people joke about other people getting boners about roller coasters, but I think this may have been for real. Some of them looked absolutely sexually satisfied.

The campout was really low key, though. The majority of the crowd were families. The rest were some kids just having a good time. We were just two normal gown adults having a good time and we really didn't fit into any group. I'm glad they didn't play the spooky music and have a group of scare actors go around after midnight. I don't sleep well, especially not in a tent. I needed all seven hours of the scheduled sleep. Luckily the spooks stayed away and we were able to get 5-6 hours of ambien assisted sleep.

I think MF is our favorite ride there. It's big, it's fast, it's fun, and it's incredibly easy to re-ride. If I get tired of a coaster like that it will be time to take a break from visiting parks.

Oh good, I'm not completely crazy. Don't get me wrong, SV is an incredible ride, but it's not as easy to marathon. I think that's also the reason Maverick never got very high on my list, even though it's a perfect storm of elements. MF has that general "fun" factor without sacrificing intensity, and stays exciting without sacrificing comfort.

Going to be at the park solo this coming up Wednesday and most of Thursday if anyone else wants to meet up pm me. Also to whoever got a bit freaked by an enthusiast event try coming out to west coast bash sometime it's less hardcore and way more fun.

^^For the record, I’m awful at ranking coasters but Steel Vengeance is probably a top 5 for me. The fact that I prefer Millennium Force doesn’t mean I don’t love the sh*t out of Steel Vengeance and think it’s one of the best coasters in the world.

Prozach,

I quoted some of your words to my Fiancee because it was spot on 100% exactly what she has described to me about her experience with coaster events and some enthusiasts and we completely agree. Got a good laugh but as you said it's absolutely true.

What coasterbill wrote,

I got off of Steel Vengeance in total disbelief. I love the ride to death. It’s one of the best coasters I’ve ever ridden, I have nothing but praise for that masterpiece of a coaster.

What he was actually thinking,

I got off of the Sky Ride at CP in total disbelief. I love the ride to death. It’s one of the best sky ride's I’ve ever ridden, I have nothing but praise for that masterpiece of a sky ride.

Yeah, CP's Sky Ride is just perfection. I was super close to being a respectable coaster fan but that sky ride just never stops blowing my mind. Sorry guys

I think coasterbill may even dream of the Sky Ride getting the RMC treatment someday.

^^For the record, I’m awful at ranking coasters but Steel Vengeance is probably a top 5 for me. The fact that I prefer Millennium Force doesn’t mean I don’t love the sh*t out of Steel Vengeance and think it’s one of the best coasters in the world.

My top coasters were El Toro and Skyrush, so it’s no surprise SV became my favourite. Back seat at night was incredible. What I love about Cedar Point is the world class variety you mentioned. MF is a fantastic ride, that I also love, but very different than “balls to the wall” SV.

I've seen people who appear to be enthusiasts wearing coaster tee shirts and what not. I'm not Joe Cool by any means, but they always appeared to be pretty nerdy. That doesn't necessarily mean I wouldn't be able to carry on a conversation with them or would completely avoid it. However, a healthy fraction of the people who attended the event had bizarre behavior. They would whoop and holler as they Queue'd up for their second round of ERT. We just let them run past us. The clapping, screaming, and cheering was a little intense for me. The thing that really weirded us out the most was the expressions we saw as the train moved into the station. Like... I know people joke about other people getting boners about roller coasters, but I think this may have been for real. Some of them looked absolutely sexually satisfied.

whooping and hollering, clapping, or cheering when they come back to the station. They sound like awful people.

I get what your saying, but this post comes off a bit condescending to me. These people are happy doing something they (and apparently you) love.

It made me a little worried for what CoasterMania will be like.

There will be a variety of different types of people. No matter where we go in life, there will always be knuckleheads. Why focus on them? If you're friendly, you shouldn't have any problem finding new coaster/park friends that fit your temperament/likes, etc..

You will have fun, it's a great event!

But not as fun as Holiwood Nights.

^^ I get where Zach is coming from.

While we have met some cool people at coaster events, we have also met several that displayed very awkward and bizarre behavior when it came to their passion for theme parks.

Not bizarre in a way to where I ever felt threatened, or these people were breaking park rules, but some enthusiasts appear like it's more of a fetish or a generalized obsession than a hobby...if that makes sense?

And I certainly am not making fun of them if they could have a mental illness or anything like that. As long as they are friendly, courteous, and follow all park rules, I am okay with it.

^By chance, have you guys ever been in the Western NY Coaster Club? I see that is your location...

I've met all types over the years, but mostly nice. A couple that I seem to see everywhere, and it's better if I walk the other way when I see them. One particular trouble maker who... I don't know how they are even allowed in some parks anymore.

Sorry if his has been talked about before, but today on three different occasions, I’ve seen a coaster stopped on the lift hill and a ride op run up and confiscate a phone from a guest who was recording. I saw it happen on Gemini, Magnum, and Corkscrew. It this a new policy or something? If it is, I kind of like it. Even if it makes the line a little longer, it’s still enjoyable to watch - and will hopefully dissuade more people from pulling out their phones

^ As far as I know that's been around for a while, but it's probably gotten more frequent and noticeable due to the desire of every teen out there to snapchat every waking moment of their lives.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE