TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I can officially confirm the quality of Aunt Grannies is back! Real catfish, real turkey, delicious veggies.. no more fish sticks.. it's very good! Great cobblers/pies.. Same price to.. might actually be cheaper.. total was $33 for two people after the Gold Pass discount or roughly the price of Ryan's.

Note for folks with kids though, no more hotdogs or taco bar that I saw and they didn't mention it..

Update: Waterfall is broken on DD falls again and turned off. While a lot of the park looks great and there are improvements, a lot of the rides look like they were ignored during the off season

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Well I was waiting for someone to mention it. I literally just noticed this but..

RIP Buzz. 2006-2018

I'd say he or something would be back. It seems Mystery Mine always has a rough start every season. Didn't get a chance to ride so I can't comment on how many of the ride's special effects were working right

So far all the rides are having a rough start.. waterfall dead on DD Falls, fire effects and firework effects on fire chaser are dead, waterfall inside Blazing Fury isn't working.. Looks like they did add new LED lighting to parts of Blazing Fury which is nice and adds to it, they also repainted the outside of it.

The new plaza area is very nice but wasn't it supposed to be a show venue? I guess small acts can perform on the grass area lol.. it is really nice though.

Festival of nation's food is better this year! Especially the deserts I know last year a few folks on here, including myself said they were lacking.

They also have a few vendors back for the festival of nation's, last year they didn't have any vendors so that's nice!

My friend was at the park yesterday and said staff was extremely friendly compared to our visit together back during Luminights haha were literally screamed at by “Bob” at Barnstormer. Anyway, she said LR had a loud squeak during the last turn that she noticed. Told her Outlaw Run had squeaks like that but I hadn’t heard them on LR, hoped to not hear them actually. She also said as soon as you get to Thunderhead it feels odd haha. Just the whole area seems different due to the clearing. Like how it used to feel like you were hidden in the hills. That’s totally gone.

My friend was at the park yesterday and said staff was extremely friendly compared to our visit together back during Luminights haha were literally screamed at by “Bob” at Barnstormer. Anyway, she said LR had a loud squeak during the last turn that she noticed. Told her Outlaw Run had squeaks like that but I hadn’t heard them on LR, hoped to not hear them actually. She also said as soon as you get to Thunderhead it feels odd haha. Just the whole area seems different due to the clearing. Like how it used to feel like you were hidden in the hills. That’s totally gone.
It's iffy, a lot of the staff is great but there are still bad apples out there.. I again, renewed my pass this year and it didn't work at one of the shops for my discount.. the lady almost didn't give me my discount.. I went to a ticket window to get my passed changed and that lady scanned it, said it works, if you want a new one it's $15... I went to the window beside her and that man made me a new one, no questions asked.. the window beside her was guest services so that's probably why but you should never have to wait in line for that. Guest services line was long, ticket lines weren't

So yeah, while some are great, some aren't willing to help or try

LR was running great! Walk on, but they did have a row blocked off. Someone lost their phone on the ride before me but they didn't close it down to check the track like they have in past seasons.

Also not sure if anyone ever confirmed this or not but Wonder Wheel is gone..

Edited by dstephe9

If you ever have any issues like that don’t ever be afraid to go to guest services by the ticket center.

If you ever have any issues like that don’t ever be afraid to go to guest services by the ticket center.

The only issue with guest services was today it was nearly a 15 min wait to get to the only open guest service window. No wait for ticket windows or rides haha. That's why I went to the ticket window to get my season pass corrected but they weren't willing to help out.. Now they might not be allowed to override the $15 replacement policy and if not, shame on Dollywood for not allowing it. I had no issues at the guest service window though. He even said "they are told to never ever go by the date, even if the system says the card isnt valid" and I was like "well she did and same thing happened two years ago so I'd rather just get a new card with new date. As you can see, I normally select renew online and keep the same card, today is my first visit this season so it's not like I am trying to cheat anything"

No issues, he got me a new card ASAP.. he never even tried to charge $15 but the ticket windows should of been able to do it.

I agree though, guest services is friendly and will get you taken care of though.

From now own though, I'm always getting new cards..

Also, anyone know why the new season passes say winter on them? Because of winter pricing maybe? Or do you think they might be coming out with a discounted summer only pass?

Both my new one and my wife's new one say winter on them.. I have her old one from last year and it doesn't say winter.. i wasn't allowed to keep my old one (she wanted a new card anyways so when I ordered, hers wasn't a renewal)

903b9310cee6b351b8740989fd15fe42.jpg

Also, anyone know why the new season passes say winter on them?

Interesting. I won't get a new card for a few months but will be sure to check that.

FWIW, I've never had problems with old cards that were renewed.

I had issue with mine in 2016 so last year I got a new card.. didn't figure I would have issues with it this year but first store said it wouldn't scan and asked if it was a good card or not because of the date.. She then went on to say "I'm going to give you the discount this one time but that's it"

Guest Services told me they are to never ever go by the date and are to swipe the card if it doesn't scan and then to call someone. They are to never assume anything about the date. This didn't happen yesterday or in 2016. Both times the clerks jumped to the date.. she didn't even try to swipe or rescan the card. Sounds more like a training issue on Dollywoods part so I did report the store it happened in and showed them the receipt so they had all the clerk's info.

I'm sure if the card had a current date, they would of never said a word.

Mistakes happen, I understand, I'm more upset the ticket window wasn't willing to help and I had to stand in line, the only line of the day, for guest services

I used to never have issues.. I think it comes down to 1 bad scan and they never rescan.. Barcode readers can be funky at times.. Both times it's happened (2016 and yesterday) they scanned the barcode once (never tried the magnetic strip).. System said invalid card (or whatever it tells the clerk) they look at the date and then start questioning if the card is good or not.. Something guest services says shouldn't happen. Never retried the card, and just manually put the discount in.

Essentially, it probably comes down to a lack of training for the merchandise team.

Also, magnetic strips go bad on cards all the time, especially if you have a magnet in your wallet (magnet money clip) but my magnetic strip is good.

My 2016 card was very old, it was made the year they made all pass holders get new cards.

To be fair, it did happen at the Mountain Laurel Home store (or whatever the name is for the new store). I had no issues anywhere else

It's a pretty neat store! Although the company I work for offers the same type stuff in our stores, actually some of the home decor was exactly the same. Surprisingly Dollywood is a little less expensive than my company though!

I'm going to be "that guy" currently and ask the overall unknowable question.

Would anyone be willing to hazard a guess as to how insanely busy the park is going to be next week? I have a family vacation Sunday to Saturday in Pigeon Forge (first time that we will ever be in the area, so it would be my first time at Dollywood).

Hoping to get my daughter to enjoy some of the kiddy rides and ride some fun coasters myself.

Sorry, I hate it when people ask this question because no one can ever really know, yet I'm still doing it.

Have you guys seen this thing? It's the newest credit debate ride to open - Mountain Glider at Rowdy Bear in Gatlinburg!

Personally, I don't see how this ride is any different than Pteranodon Flyers at IoA, Roller Soaker from Hershey, or any Caripro Batflyer. The seats may be more like a zipline, but the coaster-like functions are the same, no?

What do you think?

Would anyone be willing to hazard a guess as to how insanely busy the park is going to be next week? I have a family vacation Sunday to Saturday in Pigeon Forge (first time that we will ever be in the area, so it would be my first time at Dollywood).

Hoping to get my daughter to enjoy some of the kiddy rides and ride some fun coasters myself.

Sorry, I hate it when people ask this question because no one can ever really know, yet I'm still doing it.

Go during the week and you should be fine.. for example this past Monday, walk on for everything!! Beautiful day to. It's to early in the season for school trips. Dollywood missed the two largest spring breaks in the area (the week before the opened).. Dollywoods local school system isn't on break until the first week in April

So signs point in your favor!

Go during the week and you should be fine.. for example this past Monday, walk on for everything!! Beautiful day to. It's to early in the season for school trips. Dollywood missed the two largest spring breaks in the area (the week before the opened).. Dollywoods local school system isn't on break until the first week in April

So signs point in your favor!

Thank you that answers my question perfectly. Spring breaks were the things I was most concerned with. Now I'm just praying for good weather, but pretty much everything has to be better then Erie PA this year. We have almost hit 200 inches of snow this season.

Have you guys seen this thing? It's the newest credit debate ride to open - Mountain Glider at Rowdy Bear in Gatlinburg!

Personally, I don't see how this ride is any different than Pteranodon Flyers at IoA, Roller Soaker from Hershey, or any Caripro Batflyer. The seats may be more like a zipline, but the coaster-like functions are the same, no?

What do you think?

Oooooooooh....Something to add to my trip in June. I'm already going to do one of the mountain coasters (probably Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster since it's the longest/first one built there).

OK - I am definitely 'that guy' that asks 'that question'. We are going down that way for a couple of college tours during the MI spring break. Leaving greater Detroit Friday morning so be in either Pigeon Forge or near Knoxville for Friday night. Someone mentioned above local schools are off for spring break down that way.

Any idea how busy it will be this Saturday? Am I crazy for bothering? Should considering the Time Saver pass since we may get in late and want to get out and on the road earlyish to get to our Sunday destination?

CG

Yes local schools will be out for spring break.. if it's a pretty Saturday and if tradition holds, that is the Saturday Dollywood will have a record breaking day.. we are talking 30 thousand or more folks.. Dollywood has a very strong weekend during the local spring break, especially if it's pretty and sunny

Right now the weather has it a very pretty day.. 60s and sun shining.

Being the day before Easter though, the following weekend might be the busy one and not this Saturday