TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT) Discussion Thread

But my main point was as far as the hole thing goes, side or top, it won't matter much. Gaps/holes can be fine, just look at Intamin's old school box or triangle track. Or a little bit of a different example, the updated arrow 4D train that look like swiss cheese now to reduce weight while maintaining design properties.

Mass doesn't dictate strength, material properties and careful design/engineering do.

You might be right in the end, but you're definitely making some assumptions about the stress limitations of this track (You need to know material, dimensions, forces, etc.) I'd still say it would be a little more complicated than sending a dude with a cutting torch out there. This track has very different structural qualities than tubed Intamin track or the S&S 4D chassis. I can tell the raptor track uses pretty beefy plates (1/4" or so steel?), but they're sill not cutting holes without a few calculations or FEA simulations to ensure a modified design can handle the stress just as well.

Not to mention that trim brakes are often designed into the layouts of modern coasters from the beginning. The flow and pacing of coaster layouts are determined with trims from an early stage (almost every new B&M, Skyrush, DC Rivals). Rarely do you see trims added after installation (I305s drop for a short while).

Apologies for being so insistent about my doubt on this, I'm just skeptical of those who are sure trims will be added.

You might be right in the end, but you're definitely making some assumptions about the stress limitations of this track (You need to know material, dimensions, forces, etc.) I'd still say it would be a little more complicated than sending a dude with a cutting torch out there. This track has very different structural qualities than tubed Intamin track or the S&S 4D chassis. I can tell the raptor track uses pretty beefy plates (1/4" or so steel?), but they're sill not cutting holes without a few calculations or FEA simulations to ensure a modified design can handle the stress just as well.

Not to mention that trim brakes are often designed into the layouts of modern coasters from the beginning. The flow and pacing of coaster layouts are determined with trims from an early stage (almost every new B&M, Skyrush, DC Rivals). Rarely do you see trims added after installation (I305s drop for a short while).

Apologies for being so insistent about my doubt on this, I'm just skeptical of those who are sure trims will be added.

Well, of course they won't just go out and torch without having done their homework first. I am strictly talking based on my experience that adding holes in structural member’s (such as track) does not do all THAT much to do ability of the structure to take the vibration/shock/loading as you would expect, again, to an extent. You do get stress concentrations with holes/slots/cutouts, so there is design work that has to be done.

So of course the holes or modifications would matter, but in this case I think it would matter much less than you think it would. I have not done the FEA or analysis on this (obviously), but I do have experience with design and shock/vibe testing work in the aerospace industry as well as large fabrication design for air heating industries. Which in that case, were basically giant thin steel ducts (think 15ft diameter plus, 25ft in length or more) on supporting legs with a coaster-like track in the middle to allow for our air heating system that would sit in the middle of the duct to ride on when it would expand/contract due to heating. Very much looked like a coaster track in a way (i-beam style) and I had to analyze the loading and deflection on those support pieces, from both vertical and lateral loading. You would be surprised with how minimal of a design you can get away with, in terms of size vs. strength.

Trims are designed, usually, into the layouts. You are correct, but it is not always the case. Just remember, this is a new design for RMC. The friction factors and other design characteristics may vary slightly from their prototype or calculated design for whatever reason. If adjustment can’t be made to reach target speeds (who knows if this is or is not at target at this point) with wheel adjustments, you best believe they will add trims. I personally don’t believe trims will be added, as wheel compounds can do a lot to the speed outcome of the train and these are only first tests, but my point is… RMC likely has thought about their plans if the ride did not reach target design criteria and if modification was required, they had thought about that already and how it would be done safely. That’s my entire point.

Trims are designed, usually, into the layouts. You are correct, but it is not always the case. Just remember, this is a new design for RMC. The friction factors and other design characteristics may vary slightly from their prototype or calculated design for whatever reason.

RMC likely has thought about their plans if the ride did not reach target design criteria and if modification was required, they had thought about that already and how it would be done safely. That’s my entire point.

Thank you for eloquently stating what I have been trying to say this whole time.

RMC likely has thought about their plans if the ride did not reach target design criteria and if modification was required, they had thought about that already and how it would be done safely. That’s my entire point.

I obviously agree with this. My point is that there's currently no trims on the ride and if they were expecting trims, they would've probably prepared a possible fixture spot for one beforehand. Again, I doubt they want to replace full track sections or cut into their current track sections to add them. There's easier and cheaper solutions to manage speed.

The main thing for me is that I'm very glad Alan Schilke/RMC are designing rides that push the limit like this, let alone something as insane as these raptors appear to be so far at the cheaper price point they'll end up at. I imagine RMC is going to be pretty busy for some time to come.

I just hope these RMC Raptors prove to be a sucess. I, for one, am interested in how this thing performs rider capacity wise, which we won't know about until the ride opens to the public.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that in a video (I don't remember which) someone discussed that rows would be assigned in a different room than the loading station, then would be shuttled into the trains as fast as possible in order to keep the trains "Always moving." Interested to see what effect it has on capacity.

Ugh. . . sensor caused Batman to stop (as it does occasionally), and I guess slow news day? so local Austin News picked it up, and people are freaking out.

the facebook comments are NUTS (OMG. .they are stuck upside-down!! dismantle this thing before someone gets killed!).

it's just nuts.

http://www.kxan.com/news/texas/rollercoaster-leaves-riders-dangling-at-six-flags-texas/1048292875

That made national news. I didn't see it, but the missus mentioned it while getting ready for work this morning.

Also, absolutely no one is stuck upside down in that footage.

That made national news. I didn't see it, but the missus mentioned it while getting ready for work this morning.

Also, absolutely no one is stuck upside down in that footage.

yeah. .it's so stupid!

even in the video, you can see no one is even CLOSE to "upside down"

It's obvious those commenting. . . AND THE FREAKING REPORTER. . are not familiar with the ride, as at that point of the lift, the riders are comfortably tilted back in the seats.

the spinning has not yet started. NO ONE is at an "odd angle" or Upside-down.

sheesh.

I read those facebook comments (my poor brain). It's nuts how people think "I've seen it twice stuck so the multi-million dollar investment should be removed before it kills someone." It's so annoying to defend roller coasters and rides to dumb people. I know somebody terrified of Delirium at Kings Dominion because of the accident in Ohio.

Wonder Woman looked very fast to me, but I think its a bit early to jump to conclusions based on a youtube video. We don't know any of the hard facts. Everything could be going just as planned or there could have been some miscalculations in this prototype ride where some necessary adjustments will be made. As far as the ride being a failure, I think too much speed is easier to fix than not enough, IF that is the case. The bottom line is that we don't know.

Just my $.02.

Ugh. . . sensor caused Batman to stop (as it does occasionally), and I guess slow news day? so local Austin News picked it up, and people are freaking out.

My favorite part:

Park officials say a safety sensor went off, causing the ride at Six Flags Fiesta Texas to stop at the top of one of its 12-story lifts.

Just exactly how many 12-story lifts do they think Batman has??

Someone posted this testing vid on IG, the ride is considerably slower than the first vid that was circulating. Guess they're now using softer wheels

hmm. . still looks like it's moving awfully fast to me.

looks great!