Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4032 - Steel Vengeance Announced for 2018!
Users viewing this topic: SingleRiderCam and 11 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Location: Crystal Beach, Ontario circa 1969 via the Wabac Machine

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby Mr.Peabody » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:08 am

anonymouscactus wrote:
Mr.Peabody wrote: Can anyone advise on what the crowds will be like this Sunday?

My favorite day of the year!

This will be the third (fourth?) year in a row we are going to the first weekend of halloweekends on a Sunday. In the past the lines for the rides were minimal all morning and we never waited more than 10 minutes for any of the mazes. Great time to go, for sure. Of course, your milage may vary.

We always hit Maverick/Millennium Force for early entry, and then TTD at opening (front row only!) and we never experience any lines in the park longer than 15 minutes, with most coasters being a walk-on. Let's hope the same remains true this year!

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it. We've never been on a Sunday before. If this works out I'm planning to go again next year for a Friday night at the Breakers then head to the Toledo Zoo on Saturday (Mrs. Peabody is a penguin fanatic), then return for Sunday at Halloweekends again. No doubt Steel Vengeance will be open for early admission next year.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby anonymouscactus » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:09 pm

Actually my post was a bit misleading because I always forget about Valravn. Good luck with finding the right time for that for a short wait -- we normally skip it due to the line as I'm not a huge fan. Anyway, have fun!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby jrexrode » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:25 pm

anonymouscactus wrote:
Mr.Peabody wrote: Can anyone advise on what the crowds will be like this Sunday?

My favorite day of the year!

This will be the third (fourth?) year in a row we are going to the first weekend of halloweekends on a Sunday. In the past the lines for the rides were minimal all morning and we never waited more than 10 minutes for any of the mazes. Great time to go, for sure. Of course, your milage may vary.

We always hit Maverick/Millennium Force for early entry, and then TTD at opening (front row only!) and we never experience any lines in the park longer than 15 minutes, with most coasters being a walk-on. Let's hope the same remains true this year!

I hope this remains true as I plan on being there Sunday too! I was going on Saturday, but in an attempt to not have to buy a fast pass, I decided to Go Sunday instead.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby SbSteveZ » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:38 pm

So yesterday I officially made the jump and purchased a Platinum Pass, because with what Cedar Fair has to offer next year I’d be crazy not to get one, but I have a question in relation to it. The website said you get one visit during 2017 but I wasn’t sure, is that including Halloweekends? Or is that offer officially over and the website just needs to be updated? I don’t want to drive all the way out to the park (it’s only 4 hours away but still) to discover that the ticket I thought I had doesn’t exist. Also, just to confirm, you do have to go to the physical season pass office to register for your card, right? They made me upload a picture upon purchasing which made me think maybe they send it to me, but at the same time when I get passes for DL they make me go in to get it. Of course I’m comparing apples to oranges but I’d rather be safe than sorry. :) thanks!
Total Coasters: 80 Total Steel: 68 Total Wood: 12
Last Coaster: Leviathan @ Canada’s Wonderland
80TH COASTER: The Beast @ Kings Island
RIDE ON!

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:43 pm

Off topic, but just wondering during all the announcement hubbub was the park/Tony/etc ever asked and did the say why they started the work on SteVen as early as they did? I'm thinking this was addressed in an interview or something but I can't remember, hoping someone here does.
Look for the humor in anything and you will find it.
Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman: The Ride - Intimidator 305 -
Wicked Cyclone - Phantoms Revenge - Millennium Force - Storm Runner - Nitro

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Coastin Eric » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:55 pm

SbSteveZ wrote:So yesterday I officially made the jump and purchased a Platinum Pass, because with what Cedar Fair has to offer next year I’d be crazy not to get one, but I have a question in relation to it. The website said you get one visit during 2017 but I wasn’t sure, is that including Halloweekends? Or is that offer officially over and the website just needs to be updated? I don’t want to drive all the way out to the park (it’s only 4 hours away but still) to discover that the ticket I thought I had doesn’t exist. Also, just to confirm, you do have to go to the physical season pass office to register for your card, right? They made me upload a picture upon purchasing which made me think maybe they send it to me, but at the same time when I get passes for DL they make me go in to get it. Of course I’m comparing apples to oranges but I’d rather be safe than sorry. :) thanks!

This is correct, you will get one free visit at Cedar Point, if you purchased it through Cedar Point (It DOES include HalloWeekends). After that it'll be $14.99 a visit. You will have to go in to the Season Pass Center to get your card, but if you filled everything out online and uploaded a picture, it will be a very quick process. Hope this helps!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:05 pm

boldikus wrote:Off topic, but just wondering during all the announcement hubbub was the park/Tony/etc ever asked and did the say why they started the work on SteVen as early as they did? I'm thinking this was addressed in an interview or something but I can't remember, hoping someone here does.

I assume it is because RMC has so much on their plate for 2018, so they needed to get a head start on their most massive ride in order to complete the others on time. I'm sure CF did it for financial reasons as well, but I completely pulled that outta my a** though, what do I know.
Steel: 145 -- Wood: 27 -- Total: 172
Twitter & Instagram: @nlamoreaux99

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby sugart » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:30 pm

coasterbill wrote:If you're going for 4 days it may be worth it to get everyone a Platinum Pass anyway. You should definitely price it out. Since you live in Jersey you can also use it at Dorney or Kings Dominion so that might be a fun day / weekend trip at some point next year too.

If it makes sense to get the passes then the only benefit to staying at a Cedar Point hotel is the location. That may be all you need, but it makes exploring the VRBO options a little more tempting.

Thanks, I looked in to them.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby CP Maverick » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:00 pm

Mr.Peabody wrote:When do the participants of the Christian festival depart? We're hitting the Cincinnati Oktoberfest this weekend and added Cedar Point to our itinerary for Sunday to break up the drive home. I renewed my Platinum pass and as a perk Mrs. Peabody can get into the park free on Sunday. Nice deal, along with a $89 room at Castaway Bay. Can anyone advise on what the crowds will be like this Sunday?

The concert starts in the afternoon and goes well into the evening. The headline bands are usually on stage around 10pm or later. This does draw some of the crowd away from the haunt attractions inside the park.

coasterbill wrote:I find it hilarious that the park holds their Jesus event on opening weekend of Halloweekends which is nothing but haunted houses full of cannibalistic zombies but people at Darien Lake got upset because a roller coaster was named after a snake.

You would have liked when my Bible study group took a trip to Mansfield Haunted Reformatory. You know, Christians are allowed to enjoy various types of entertainment.
Original Maverick '99

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:34 pm

thrillseeker4552 wrote:
boldikus wrote:Off topic, but just wondering during all the announcement hubbub was the park/Tony/etc ever asked and did the say why they started the work on SteVen as early as they did? I'm thinking this was addressed in an interview or something but I can't remember, hoping someone here does.

I assume it is because RMC has so much on their plate for 2018, so they needed to get a head start on their most massive ride in order to complete the others on time. I'm sure CF did it for financial reasons as well, but I completely pulled that outta my a** though, what do I know.

Lots of people had theories as to why, some absolutely plausible. But I'm asking if it was brought up with any park officials or if the park explained why.
Look for the humor in anything and you will find it.
Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman: The Ride - Intimidator 305 -
Wicked Cyclone - Phantoms Revenge - Millennium Force - Storm Runner - Nitro

PreviousNext