Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4032 - Steel Vengeance Announced for 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I own the website www.donkey.com

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby CaptainUnknown » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:49 am

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:
JJLehto wrote:Imagine the backlash if something tragic was to happen and "they didnt even bother to try and keep the patrons safe."

CP is already trying to keep their guests safe. They have security. Metal detectors don't increase security; they just increase its visibility. This is a CYA move, plain and simple. They're avoiding lawsuits, not incidents.

A million signs, a big ol' fence, a warning from the ride ops that loose articles should be left with a non-rider, a dropped phone, and one stupid decision later, the park comes under fire for being unsafe.

People will complain, whine, and grovel to every lawyer in the world if they get so much as a nightmare about getting a paper cut at an amusement park.
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 21
Credits: 101 (20 wood/81 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby SFOG1991 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:34 am

I am all for major parks having metal detectors and wands. I value my safety and while there is always a way someone could bring it weapons if they wanted to, the detectors and wanding do help prevent it and at the very least discourage people from doing bad things and keep the park from being an easy target.

I do think it is vital that park gates are properly staffed and being operated efficiently though.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby JJLehto » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:36 am

CaptainUnknown wrote:
ytterbiumanalyst wrote:
JJLehto wrote:Imagine the backlash if something tragic was to happen and "they didnt even bother to try and keep the patrons safe."

CP is already trying to keep their guests safe. They have security. Metal detectors don't increase security; they just increase its visibility. This is a CYA move, plain and simple. They're avoiding lawsuits, not incidents.

A million signs, a big ol' fence, a warning from the ride ops that loose articles should be left with a non-rider, a dropped phone, and one stupid decision later, the park comes under fire for being unsafe.

People will complain, whine, and grovel to every lawyer in the world if they get so much as a nightmare about getting a paper cut at an amusement park.

Precisely, and that is the point I was trying to make. The park(s) have to do this, "CYA". People seem to not like that but what else can we expect, but yes god forbid something terrible happens. We know how the news blows things up and how people over react. You said it, it would be a disaster for any park, and thus all of em. That was my stance and not sure why people are so opposed. Cedar Point isn't an altruistic entity here to please us enthusiasts in every way lol its a business and we all need to protect ourselves. I get lines are gunna be longer and maybe annoying, but it'd be illogical for parks to not do this
Wicked Cyclone, Millennium Force, Skyrush, I305, El Toro, Bizarro (SF:NE), Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Maverick, Storm Runner
2017 parks: Universal Studios/IoA, Cedar Point

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Location: Ypsilanti, MI (four hours closer to CP than my old home)

Postby cparkes92 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:37 am

bluestreak wrote:
thrillrider wrote:Does anybody know if there is a pass holder preview night this year? If so, when is it? Can't seem to find anything about it.

There isn't one this year.

coasterbill wrote:There's an image circulating of metal detectors outside the front gate area. I'm not sharing it because I'm not exactly sure who took it or if it was authorized but it seems like a mundane enough issue that we can bring it up. This is definitely not a surprise but they're going to need to find a really efficient way to do it, especially at the resort gate for early entry.

Although it'll be annoying for entry, I'm happy that they are doing this considering the world we live in. Waiting 10 extra minutes to get into the park is a small price to pay to feel a little safer.

Metal detectors to enter the park >>> metal detectors in queue lines
Top 10 steel: Millennium Force, Maverick, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, Top Thrill Dragster, Valravn, GateKeeper, Kraken
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat, Blue Streak (CP)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:44 am

cparkes92 wrote:Metal detectors to enter the park >>> metal detectors in queue lines

Metal detectors at park entrances and metal detectors at ride entrances are both there for entirely different and unrelated purposes and have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:01 pm

prozach626 wrote:People want something to bitch about, especially when it's any kind of inconvenience. Ironically, these are also the same people who would point the finger a Cedar Fair when an incident does happen and blame them for not having metal detectors in place.

I love these strawmen. So good.

Personally, I need to just accept that increasingly I'll have to leave the US to get the kind of experience I want at a theme/amusement park if I want to stay in the hobby. Everyone here is too damn spooked by the barrage of scare tactic news to think rationally.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby thepoint4life23 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:57 pm

From time to time cedar point has had bag checkers and wands. So this is not really anything new. Just might now be a full time thing. If it happens so be it just go on about your day.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:29 pm

CaptainUnknown wrote:
ytterbiumanalyst wrote:

Yes. THIS is why they're getting metal detectors. Because people are so stupid they can't tell what is actually making them safer. Because every time our freedom is eroded in the name of security, people just say, "well, you know, that's how the world is" and the terrorists score another victory.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby fiestatexasfan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:32 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:
CaptainUnknown wrote:
ytterbiumanalyst wrote:

Yes. THIS is why they're getting metal detectors. Because people are so stupid they can't tell what is actually making them safer. Because every time our freedom is eroded in the name of security, people just say, "well, you know, that's how the world is" and the terrorists score another victory.

This is exactly right
1. New Texas Giant 2.Iron Rattler
Last park visited- Six Flags Fiesta Texas (7-18-17)
-Last roller coaster ridden- Roadrunner Express (7-18-17)
-Last flat ride ridden- Spinsanity (7-18-17)
-Last water park ride ridden- Thunder rapids (7-18-17)

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby fiestatexasfan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:34 pm

coasterbill wrote:
cparkes92 wrote:Metal detectors to enter the park >>> metal detectors in queue lines

Metal detectors at park entrances and metal detectors at ride entrances are both there for entirely different and unrelated purposes and have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

I have never even seen or heard about metal detectors at queue lines. What are the for?
1. New Texas Giant 2.Iron Rattler
Last park visited- Six Flags Fiesta Texas (7-18-17)
-Last roller coaster ridden- Roadrunner Express (7-18-17)
-Last flat ride ridden- Spinsanity (7-18-17)
-Last water park ride ridden- Thunder rapids (7-18-17)

PreviousNext