Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 1335 - Off-Season Construction Tour!
Users viewing this topic: Djwadeknox, Geartooth90 and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby jonskinny12 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:39 pm

So I'm looking for a little advice on visiting Dollywood. My brother and I have been planning a trip to this general area of the country for this upcoming summer, visiting parks from Holiday World to Carowinds and a few in between, including Dollywood. The dates we're looking at are Thursday June 1 through Sunday June 11. We've looked at a number of different ways to do this trip, and what I'm really wondering about Dollywood is what are weekday and weekend crowds like that time of year? How many days can one spend in this park? We mostly only care about the coasters and maybe some of the more interesting non-coaster rides, but since I don't know when I'll get back to this park I don't want to rush my time and I want to get many re-rides on the bigger coasters like Lightning Rod (assuming it's running more reliably this summer), Thunderhead, Wild Eagle (when are wasps commonly a problem?), etc.

Any tips on days, how to best get through the park, cool stuff to do/see (other than the shows - those have never really interested either of us at any park), food, lodging, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:59 am

I would suggest spending 2 days. Dollywood is easily a one day park, but if you really want to take your time and see a lot of shows then 2 days is absolutely appropriate.

I've only been to the park for Smoky Mountain Christmas so I can't speak to crowd levels or wasp levels. Aside from staying 2 days, the only major tips I have are to eat the cinnamon bread at the grist mill and eat the pit ham at Lillian's.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:34 pm

^^ Assuming Dollywood will do this again in 2017, in years past they had an enter after 3 pm deal where you get an additional next day included with the one day price of admission. That might be enough time for you. In the past with this deal, I was allowed into the park by 2:30 pm on the first day.

Postby STDog » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:17 am

thrillerman1 wrote:^^ Assuming Dollywood will do this again in 2017, in years past they had an enter after 3 pm deal where you get an additional next day included with the one day price of admission.

The time for that depends on park closing time which depends on the time of year.

Generally if you only have a few hours til close on day 1, then you can come back for free.

Given his stated goals, and typical operating hours in early June, one full day might be enough.

To me the park is a lot more than just coasters and I'd rather have 3 days to enjoy the rest of the park.

Postby coasterbill » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:59 am

You could also just get a Season Pass if you stay for 2 full days, this generally pays for itself in 2 visits, gives you free parking and gives you discounts on in-park spending.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby michaellynn4 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:53 am

coasterbill wrote:You could also just get a Season Pass if you stay for 2 full days, this generally pays for itself in 2 visits, gives you free parking and gives you discounts on in-park spending.

This is what I did last year. Highly recommended. It even helped justify visiting again later on in the season as expenses were lower the second time around.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Postby coasterbill » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:55 am

We get one every other year. We go for Smoky Mountain Christmas when the passes are good for that year and all of the following year and just buy the passes on alternating years.

Postby STDog » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:30 pm

STDog wrote:
dstephe9 wrote:
carolinaman wrote:I was looking at the season passes, and it said prices will go up after Jan.1. Anyone know how much they will increase?

I believe the prices are already a little higher for the 2017 season passes but don't fall for the prices go up trick..

Have to check a few time through the season to see if anything else changes. I've never done so.

So, I wrote down the prices back in Dec after this post. Then I just checked them today.
Everything went up $4.

2017 Season Passes (Quantities 1-3) (Super Regular) $148 $152
2017 Season Passes (Quantities 1-3) (Super Gold) $200 $204
2017 Season Passes (Quantities 1-3) (Regular) $99 $103
2017 Season Passes (Quantities 1-3) (Gold) $151 $155

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby dstephe9 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:36 pm

Guess they weren't bluffing this year! Lol

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:46 pm

Not a horrific change, imo. They could've ended up doing like some parks and bumped it up by $10 instead (or more).
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Coaster Photography | Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!