TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Help needed with theme park tour planning

Silicon30

Hi all,

First post from me so go easy!

Having long been a fan of disney / universal parks of Florida my wife and I are planning a trip to the states for 2.5 weeks end of July beginning of August with the aim of visiting multiple different theme parks and water parks across America with a couple of days in each state / city we visit as we go.

I need help in choosing the best theme parks for our visit that we would be able to get between in our time frame. We are coming from the UK so don't know all the best places to visit!

Any suggestions / itinerary's for our 2.5 weeks or at least which part of the USA to focus our visit on would be very much welcome!

The bigger the rollercoasters and water coasters the better!

Thanks in advance,

Mark

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a really hard ask from the forum. We need to know a bit more about what you like, where you've been before, budget, doing any sightseeing also, willing to fly between places, renting a car, etc.?

You say 'a couple of days per state', but some states could be a week or more and some you may just drive through.

Give us some more information and I'm sure people will be more willing to help.

If I assume you've only ever been to Florida and you want big rides and a few sights I would do a NYC / Jersey / DC / Virginia / Pennsylvania / Ohio focus

Hi thanks for the reply,

So parks we have been to before:

Universal, Islands of adventure, Busch gardens, Seaworld, all of the disney parks, all of the disney waterparks, alton towers and thorpe park in the UK. Loved big adventure rollercoasters but have never been on any really big 'hyper' type coasters.

As far as getting around we are happy to drive or fly (probably preference is a single flight in and out of the USA from the UK and then rent a car for a couple of weeks. Not adverse to relatively big distance car trips. We would aim to do a bit of sightseeing yep based around the chosen parks we want to visit.

Thanks,

^Ok, that helps. Then I would start researching what I suggested. You can most likely get a really decent, cheap flight into either NYC, DC, PHL, or RIC.

You'll want to hit:

NYC

Six Flags Great Adventure

Jersey Shore

Washington DC

Six Flags America (maybe)

Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Kings Dominion

Kings Island

Cedar Point

Kennywood

Hersheypark

Knoebels

Dorney

Philly

That's a really solid 2.5 week trip. Look at those a bit and when you have some more details we can help further.

I agree with Elissa that the Kings Dominion - Kings Island - Cedar Point - Six Flags Great Adventure - triangle is a very good and coaster-dense area. Plus, like Elissa said, it's on the east coast so you don't have to fly far/long. I would also add Six Flags New England to the parks already posted.

Another area with a very good amount of parks is California. You can do a lot in and around LA (Disney Parks, Universal, Six Flags Mountain, Knotts Berry Farm) and you can extend that to include parks near San Francisco and San Diego. But this is farther away, and will cost you more airfare.

For trip planning, and for other coaster random stuff, http://coast2coaster.com is a wonderful tool.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what I would do:

Start with a flight into Boston

Six Flags New England

Lake Compounce

Quassy

Six Flags Great Adventure

Dorney Park

Knoebels

Hersheypark

Kennywood

Cedar Point

Kings Island

Dollywood

Carowinds

Kings Dominion

Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Six Flags America

Fly out of Dulles

Factor in the price of the car rental when booking a flight.

I did a quick Kayak search for rental cars in New York for a 2 1/2 week period in the time you specified and ended up with a total of about $1245. The same thing in Washington DC is $570 (assuming you do a loop and drop it off where you picked it up, and I highly suggest this if at all possible).

Rental cars (and everything else) are absurdly expensive in New York.