TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Crowds and clouds in Florida

multimueller

I've been flying to Orlando for more than 15 years now and I always travelled in April/May (while avoiding easter) or October/November (for halloween). But because of the grand opening of Avatar and the (hopefully) successful finish of a large-scale project I am working on right now I play around with the thought of visiting my second home end of may this time.

You guys live in Orlando so maybe you could give some advice on two topics:

1. The crowds: I know that especially Disney can get crazy busy, even in October and April, but with some strategically planned use of FP+, being in the parks really early, avoiding weekends and extra magic hours and quite some "Theme Park stamina" do you think a visit could still be enjoyable?

2 The clouds: I do a lot of Themepark photography and partly cloudy skies in Orlando are particulary nice as a background. The heat does not bother me at all. I even don't mind a shower or two, the only bad thing would be overcast skies all day. Is that a common weather pattern for this part of the year?

Orlando-2016---074---Seven-Dwarfs-Minetrain.thumb.jpg.89f319e8607684569028e1775ec481d9.jpg

Those clouds ar okay with me!

Your advice is greatly appreciated and will be honored with a dining invitation at a restaurant of your choice

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you'll be fine. You seemed to hit every point on the head about May.

- Yes, there will be crowds, especially at Disney. All colleges and universities are out by the end of May, but most Kindergarten - 12th graders are still in school. If you come around Memorial Day there will be more people that weekend than other May weekends.

- By May we're pretty much in the normal central Florida summer plan. Warm mornings, Hot afternoons, random thunderstorm, Warm evenings. Certainly not gray all day unless we get an early hurricane. Southern California has a phenomenon called "June Gloom" that can start in May and produce gray skies, but we don't really have that here.

- Use the Fastpass Plus system to its finest and you can do well for sure! Please ask for anymore help you need. We're around and happy to help! If you're planning to book a Disney resort remember that Fastpass Plus reservations are already open for Avatar area so do that SOON!

Hi Elissa,

Thank you for this "inside view" - it was really helpful and "uplifting" (especially the weather part, as I had my share of gray skies and soggy german weather for the last 6 months). And thank you for bringing up the Disney Hotel FP+ idea ... I completely forgot about that option - and that my annual pass gives me some quite nice discounts for that time period.

Hi Elissa,

Thank you for this "inside view" - it was really helpful and "uplifting" (especially the weather part, as I had my share of gray skies and soggy german weather for the last 6 months). And thank you for bringing up the Disney Hotel FP+ idea ... I completely forgot about that option - and that my annual pass gives me some quite nice discounts for that time period.

If you don't book a resort hotel, your AP FP+ window opens at 30 days (I believe?). I'm sure there will be a lot of us competing for Avatar fast passes for those first few days!

If you don't book a resort hotel, your AP FP+ window opens at 30 days (I believe?)

Yes, you are right, at 8am (oder 9am?) EST. Bearing that in mind, I was able to get FP+ for most of my desired attractions on my recent trips. I had to be quick though: Seven dwarfs is always a very close call, even late time windows are gone within seconds. Unlike you, I never had luck with Frozen and fireworks can be hard to get too.

Please post more pictures like the one above! I'd love to Tweet some of those out!

Will be coming very soon! Let me pick some of my favorites and write some odd-sounding captions - maybe you could ask Kristen to do some copy-editing on them