TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Potential Europe Trip Questions

Perilous Chris

Hello Everyone.

I am considering traveling to Europe for my first time this summer. I hope to visit for roughly 17 days, from late May to mid June.

After lots of research, here is the plan I came up with.

Days 1 - 2: Travel from Lax to Amsterdam, and rent a car

Day 3, 4 and 5: Walibi Holland, Toverland, Efteling, and maybe Bobbejaanland

Day 6: Drive to Phantasialand, half day at the park

Day 7: Phantasialand

Day 8: Drive to Europa Park, half day at the park

Day 9: Europa Park

Day 10: Holiday Park

Day 11: Drive to Frankfurt airport, fly to Hamburg

Day 11: Rent a car, Heide Park

Day 12: Hansa Park

Day 13: Drive to Djurs Sommerland area

Day 14: Djurs Sommerland

Day 15: Maybe Skara Sommerland, Legoland

Day 16 - 17: Drive to Hamburg airport, fly back

To those who have done something similar, please let me know your thoughts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've visited practically all the major parks in the US (excluding Northern California), and Canada.

I do have a few questions:

1. Do the drives look relatively reasonable, or would it be better to use public transportation?

2. One park I would love to visit is Liesberg. However, it does not seem practical, without adding extra time. Is there anyway to fit that one in?

3. In shoes, I am a tiny bit above 6'4." This past summer I was height checked for Ride of Steel at SFNE, and was fine. I noticed many parks have maximum height limits. Should I be concerned?

4. I may try to add Tripsdrill, and Klotten. Is anything else recommended?

Thanks in advance for the help!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I hate to add to your park additions, but there is always

Drievliet and Duinrell parks that can be half day parks,

outside of Amsterdam. Drievliet actually has more coasters.

C_11FormuleX_Drievliet.jpg.abcba63485839e544b07207d36d978ce.jpg

And then... there's Formule-X in Drievliet. (o; TPR 2008 Europe Tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Suggestions based on a recent podcast who went to Europa, Holiday, and Phantasia:

Do the 1/2 day at Holiday Park and 2 full days at Europa.

Stay at El Andaluz at Europa Park (Monorail stop to the park, Hotel entrance to the park, Free Breakfast)

Stay at Hotel Ling Bao at Phantasialand (You get 2 skip-the-line passes per person)

Except for Europa Park, Many don't accept Credit Cards and speak English

FoodLoop at Europa Park serves alot of American Food

Silver Star requires 5 clicks while as most B&M hypers require 3

If you don't like spinning ride in the first car of Euro Mir

Also Europa is pretty big, The lake at Adventureland in Europa is larger than SeaWorld Orlando's lake. To go from Wodan to Blue Fire is about an 8min walk

Holiday Park is about the size of Waldameer

Loved Rides:

- Arthur (Europa)

- Mouse Au Chocolate (Phantasialand)

- Chiapas (Phantasialand)

- Feng Ju Palace (Phantasialand)

- Castle Falkenstein (Holiday Park)

- Hollywood Tour (Phantasialand)

- Pirates in Batvaria (Europa)

- Universe Of Energy (Europa)

Although you did not ask me, I would suggest public transport. You can get easily around Germany by the trains, for example from Phantasialand, catch a bus to Cologne then train to Frankfurt, then train to Mannheim then bus/taxi to Holiday park. You could then catch the plain from near Europa park (If they go to Hamburg). Also about maximum height. I have seen at many parks in the UK maximum restrictions for height, of 2 meters (198cm) so you should be fine, however to further console you, I have never seen it checked or someone turned away for being too tall.

Hope this helps,

Henry M

^I completely disagree about public transport. Sure it's a better option than trying it in the US, but if he can rent a car that's much easier than trains and waiting for buses/taxis. Most of the parks don't have their own train station (or it's a bus/taxi ride away) and with an ambitious schedule it will be easier to have your own car.

The only country in the world I would do public transport for a roller coaster trip is Japan and even there, there are times when you're looking at a $40 taxi ride to/from a park.

... Would it be reasonable to do parks like Toverland and Bobbejanland on the same day?

Of the three you had listed over three days I could see putting Toverland and Bobbejand together in a day's visit. If they're

not too far from each other (I forget) and they have nice early opening and late closing hours.

I personally think that Efteling needs the full day, as there is so much to ride and enjoy, there. Even the landscaping alone

is something to appreciate in a European park "before Disney."

Thank you so much for the responses guys! I really appreciate it.

I've calculated distances, and practically everything seems much longer with public transportation.

Midway through the trip, I'm thinking of flying from Stuttgart to Leipzig. I'm thinking of renting a car at Leipzig airport, and dropping it off at Billund airport. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems as though the rental car drop fees are a bit less, than here in the states.

Between Heide park and Djurs Sommerland, is there anything that can be recommended? I'm thinking of Legoland.

Also, I'm considering late May to mid June. Is this a pretty good time?

Although you did not ask me, I would suggest public transport. You can get easily around Germany by the trains, for example from Phantasialand, catch a bus to Cologne then train to Frankfurt, then train to Mannheim then bus/taxi to Holiday park. You could then catch the plain from near Europa park (If they go to Hamburg). Also about maximum height. I have seen at many parks in the UK maximum restrictions for height, of 2 meters (198cm) so you should be fine, however to further console you, I have never seen it checked or someone turned away for being too tall.

Hope this helps,

Henry M

You were banned once for behavior like this on the forum for a month. This is the "Ask ALVEY" thread. Not "Ask Alvey and then someone who has little traveling skills should come along and give advice" forum.

Please refrain from posting in this forum in the future. Thank you.

Of the three you had listed over three days I could see putting Toverland and Bobbejand together in a day's visit. If they're

not too far from each other (I forget) and they have nice early opening and late closing hours.

But they don't have early opening and late closing hours. The latest Toverland stays open in the summer is 6pm. YOU only remember them having early opening and late closing hours because TPR bought out those parks early in the morning and later in the evening.

Again, and I'm going to ask this as nice as possible, if your name isn't "Alvey" please do not give people advice in the "Ask Alvey" forum, especially if you don't know what you are talking about!!!!!

^I completely disagree about public transport. Sure it's a better option than trying it in the US, but if he can rent a car that's much easier than trains and waiting for buses/taxis. Most of the parks don't have their own train station (or it's a bus/taxi ride away) and with an ambitious schedule it will be easier to have your own car.

The only country in the world I would do public transport for a roller coaster trip is Japan and even there, there are times when you're looking at a $40 taxi ride to/from a park.

Not advice, just backing up this opinion... so true! Also, public transport can be pretty expensive. Renting a car and sharing those costs really is cheaper. Also, for example (what Elissa says): bus from nearest train station to Walibi is about 20/25 minutes. Efteling is also 20/25 minutes. Excluding waiting time.

• 1 month later...

Edit/comment: Sorry, I'm new in this part of the forum and I don't see the rules for "Ask Alvey". – Normally I would delete my answer, but I think it helps a little bit or give some nice ideas for the trip. – Sorry!

Days 1 - 2: Travel from Lax to Amsterdam, and rent a car

Day 3, 4 and 5: Walibi Holland, Toverland, Efteling, and maybe Bobbejaanland

Day 6: Drive to Phantasialand, half day at the park

Day 7: Phantasialand

Day 8: Drive to Europa Park, half day at the park

Day 9: Europa Park

Day 11: Drive to Frankfurt airport, fly to Hamburg

Day 11: Rent a car, Heide Park

Day 12: Hansa Park

Day 13: Drive to Djurs Sommerland area

Day 14: Djurs Sommerland

Day 15: Maybe Skara Sommerland, Legoland

Day 16 - 17: Drive to Hamburg airport, fly back

1. Do the drives look relatively reasonable, or would it be better to use public transportation?

2. One park I would love to visit is Liesberg. However, it does not seem practical, without adding extra time. Is there anyway to fit that one in?

3. In shoes, I am a tiny bit above 6'4." This past summer I was height checked for Ride of Steel at SFNE, and was fine. I noticed many parks have maximum height limits. Should I be concerned?

4. I may try to add Tripsdrill, and Klotten. Is anything else recommended?

Hey Chris, greetings from Germany. I have some personal problems with this plan, but I try to get what you want.

First, the Questions:

1. 90% of all parks don't have a good connection to public transport. So you will need a rental car. (And you will love the "Autobahn" )

2. Book a flight from Hamburg to Göteborg (Liseberg), daily for about 40-60$ and flight back to Amsterdam for cheaper flights to LAX or you flight to Stockholm and visit Gröna Lund, in booth parks you don't need a rental car, they have great opening times and have some of the best coasters in the world. (And from Stockholm there are also some flights so LAX.)

3. In European high you are 194/195cm. Some rides have these as maximum limit (or 196), but in the most coasters it will fit in. It's more for the people over 2m (6'6).

4. Klotten is nice, but not special. And the streets are not the best. – But Tripsdrill is an European Classic. Old, small, family owned. Four coasters and three special and nice one (first Gerstlauer coaster and the first Infinity-Coaster, also the Mammut-Woodie).

The route: The point is: Europe looks small, but you need time for parks, hotels and the route. I don't get in the list of your parks if you want to count all the coasters or want to enjoy the parks with all there views, theming and landscaping. I've done all of your wish-list-parks except from Bobbejaanland (to do 2017 with Movie Park/Slagharen-season pass).

First Park: BeNeLux:

Days 1 - 2: Travel from Lax to Amsterdam, rent a car, visit Duinrell and go to hotel

3: Walibi Holland and try to get the new Gerstlauer at Slagharen (and you will have some Jetlag)

4: Drievliet and drive to Efteling, half day with night time!

5: Efteling half day, afternoon at Bobbejaanland

6: Toverland and Movie Park Germany

7: Phantasialand (On-Site to use the evening for counts!, special hotel opening of klugheim)

1874454988_Bildschirmfoto2017-02-24um01_34_46.thumb.png.a26dca4ffbe6197e1f1980df8b403b2f.png

8: Holiday Park, drive to EP

9: Europa-Park (On-site!)

10: EP 2nd day (morning opening for hotel guests)

11: Tripdrill and flight from stuttgart to Hamburg or Hannover

*) When the flights are in some stupid times, you can make: Day 10: Half day EP, 3h drive to Tripsdrill and 3-4h in the park for main attractions and flight in the evening/night. So you can safe one more day but its possible to miss something in EP.

69947466_Bildschirmfoto2017-02-24um01_40_16.png.4def64a6d7244cb3e53b540ac3c84901.png

12: I recommend a flight to hannover because you will drive better to Heide Park (see map)

13: Hansa-Park

1126790478_Bildschirmfoto2017-02-24um01_49_38.png.b43f94d2a2b985a6ea1729898eaf472e.png

Then you want to drive through hole Denmark. Of course, Djurs and Farup are very nice (DON'T DO LEGO! JUST NO! (The old Lego charme is gone away, Merlin ruined it totally!))

14: Djurs / 15: Farup (you can combine it with Tivoli Friheden, five special coasters and the worlds only really free free fall, because the park opens very long) /16: going back to hamburg (or doing lego) and flight back.

But why you don't:

A) Drive with the car over the famous Fehmarn-Belt to Bon-Bon-Land (Park Reunides Season Card inkl.; Day 14; or: 13 with half day at Hansa-Park) and to Kopenhagen with Bakken and Tivoli Kopenhagen (Day 14 or 15, booth long open into the night) and flight from there for one day to Göteborg or flight back to Amsterdam. (see map down)

B) Flying from Stuttgart to Hamburg and have no one-way-car-rental, and flying from hamburg to Göteborg (and Oslo?), back to Amsterdam.

307106365_Bildschirmfoto2017-02-24um01_54_38.png.2e9003e0a95df4e8ff2c39bac6c2bd1c.png

I hope i can help a little bit. GoogleMaps make it really easy to plan the routes. The times are good calculated.

I think you will need one season passes for a little bit of saving some money: Park Reunides: Free: Slagharen, Movie Park, Bobbejaanland, BonBon-Land; 50%: Efteling and 25%: Toverland

PHL and EP will be in the Hotel entry and the most of the other parks doesn't have any great discounts/benefits for one-day-visits.

Questions? Ask!

Greetings, Eric.

^ Eric,

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I really appreciate you taking the time to write all that out.

I actually already booked a flight into Amsterdam, and I'm flying out of Billund, for a total of 19 days. 3 days are for flying.

I want to ride as much as possible, but I do not want to rush parks like Europa, Phantasialand, etc. Here is what I have come up with over the past couple weeks, before reading your post.

I would love to visit Grona Lund, Tivoli Gardens and Bakken, but I'm thinking about saving those for a future trip.

Days 1-2: Fly to Amsterdam, rest.

Day 3: Rent a car, Walibi Holland

Day 4: Efteling

Day 5: Toverland, maybe Drievliet

Day 6 (Sat): Bobbejanland, fly from Brussels to Gothenburg

Day 7: Liesberg

Day 8: Liesberg, fly to Cologne

Day 9: Phantasialand

Days 11-12: Europa Park

Day 13: Tripsdrill

Day 14: Fly from Stuttgart to Leipzig

Day 15: Rent car, Hansa Park

Day 16: Heide Park

Day 17: Long drive, Djurs

Day 18: Farup, maybe Tivoli

Day 19: Fly from Billund to LAX

I think you have to swap/change:

Day 15: Rent car, Hansa Park // Day 16: Heide Park

Because (see the maps in my posting before) Heide Park is more south than Hansa-Park. And if you don't book your flight yet, change it from Leipzig to Hannover. It's a very long extra-way without any benefits. (Leipzig Airport >> Heide-Park: 3,5 - 4 h // Hannover Airport >> Heide Park: 1h)

Very interesting mix of parks. You will love them all! (Some more, some less )

Planing a tour through Europe is very difficult; sometimes I have problems with some parks to reach and combine two small parks in one day. Europe has different regions for planing or standing alone (Scandinavia, Great Britain, The Mediterranean, central Europe ... and since Energylandia also East Europe).

All the best. – BTW.: When are you now here? So If you want I can come over for one park and show you some special places...

• 3 weeks later...