TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Need help whith a Sweden trip in 2016

RCT3Bross

Hey guys I have a couple of questions regarding my 2016 plans, Liseberg and Kolmarden are planned. As we all know next year Europa gets an RMC and I be dammed if I'm going to mis this. Problem is it's in a country I have little knowledge about, so pleas help me realize this trip.

1: Which months are the best time to actually go and visit the parks, so when do I have the most chance of not missing a single ride on my trip.

2: What type of night stay should I book that is cheap but still has privacy. I'm basically asking stuff like Hotels, holiday parks, Guesthouses.

3: In Sweden they have the SEK here in the Netherlands we have the Euro, should it be smart to pay in SEK or Euro's?

4: fuel station. I never been there and I know it's mountain area, how far are fuel stations from one other (like around 50 KM) It's important to know so I don't run out of benzine for the car.

5: Are there any other sightseeing then just a visit to Kolmarden zoo and Liseberg, I'm not talking amusement parks only.

6: Food, Okay I admit I'm a complete stranger too unfamiliar food and not so fond on trying stuff. So what type of food is there local?

7: Anything more I need or should know? Anything is welcome.

I know I'm planning a bit ahead now, but I have 2 years where plans have failed, I'll be sure this time it won't be because of incorrect planning.

Edited by RCT3Bross

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Sweden is very similar to Norway in many areas, and I've been to Sweden quite a few times, so I can atleast help you with some of your questions:

- Southern Sweden is not mountain area at all, so fuel stations should not be any problem. It's probably wise to start thinking about refueling some time before the warning light comes on though, but that goes no matter where you are.

- Liseberg is located centrally in Gothenburg, and Kolmården is close to Norrköping. I would take some time and research what these cities have to offer, and what might suit your interests.

- I would reccomend getting SEK if you're planning to pay cash, as from what a quick google search could tell me, the acceptance of paying with Euro cash is somewhat limited to urban/tourist-heavy areas. Credit/debit cards are accepted most places.

- Food should not be an issue. If you're in a city you will find all sorts of food, ranging from Chinese restaurants to McDonalds.

Stockholm is only 162 km from Norrköping (according to Google maps), have you thought about adding Gröna Lund to your trip??

1: Which months are the best time to actually go and visit the parks, so when do I have the most chance of not missing a single ride on my trip.

Go in the summer, it's much nicer to visit in July/august despite being the high season. There's no real pattern for how crowded the parks will get on specific days, it's all weather dependent here. Nice and sunny = packed park. (Obviously it's also more people on the weekends).
2: What type of night stay should I book that is cheap but still has privacy. I'm basically asking stuff like Hotels, holiday parks, Guesthouses.
If you will use the trip as a mini-vacation then I would definitely recommend staying at a real hotel even if they are expensive. If you are just going for riding coasters and have a great time and the accommodation is not a high priority, search for a "vandrarhem".
3: In Sweden they have the SEK here in the Netherlands we have the Euro, should it be smart to pay in SEK or Euro's?
Euro is not widely accepted here. Also we are one of the least cash-using countries in the world, card's are accepted everywhere. If you have a Mastercard or a Visa the I would go with that. If you like the secure feeling you can just exchange a small amount of euro to sek before you're coming and have as a backup.
5: Are there any other sightseeing then just a visit to Kolmarden zoo and Liseberg, I'm not talking amusement parks only.
There are things to do if you like to spend a few days, but it's hard to say without knowing your interest's. Obviously it will be much more things to do in Göteborg compared to Norrköping.

As Viking said, have you considered Gröna Lund? It's just as awesome as the other two parks!

6: Food, Okay I admit I'm a complete stranger too unfamiliar food and not so fond on trying stuff. So what type of food is there local?

You won't have any problem with food, you will probably almost feel like at home (except we can eat a sauce to everything..). Finding meatballs in a restaurant is actually a lot harder than one would think

7: Anything more I need or should know? Anything is welcome.

Remember that Kolmården is not that much of an amusement parks, even with Wildfire it's still a zoo. I'll recommend that you check out all the park anyway as it's a real awesome place

Already thanks for the information given to both of you.

1. So August it will be. That's the time off work I will have then.

2. So I googled vandrarhem, as I understand it for now it's a Hostel type of night stay right? Bunch of people in the same room? I understand these are cheap but I'm not fond on sleeping with a bunch of strangers, It gives me the feeling that when I'm out I can't leave my stuff in a closed room.

3. Seems like I'm going to dig into cash exchange. I got a cash card but I don't know about its acceptance outside Euro zone's, So I will check that out also.

4. Thanks, Like I said I never been there before and was always told Sweden was Mountain heavy, But if fuel stations are not a problem that's a lot to get myself out from that anxiety.

5. I understand I might be a little more specific about what I meant with Sightseeing. Well you might say anything makes the country look interesting, Museum's, castles, just a place that looks beautiful. You might say I want to see something of the country.

5.5 Gröna lund: Well I might have been a little more specific about this at night stay but I'm the type of guy that will go to a country and try to have the least amount of night stays there are, so I'm going to look at a place to sleep between Göteburg and Norrköping, and considering I will bring my own car and come by boat in at Göteburg I kind off find the park a little too small for the whole trip. I'm already stretching my norms a lot to get to Kolmården as that's an RMC, I know it's a Zoo and I have nothing against zoo's or animals so that would be a day of fun also.

6. It's always a thing when I leave the comfort of home when it comes to food. But knowing I can get some French fries over there helps.

7. Covered that.

Also this was one of the original questions but it seems it slipt my mind:

8: Language: I speak Dutch, English and a little bit German. How far do I get with those languages in Sweden?

2. So I googled vandrarhem, as I understand it for now it's a Hostel type of night stay right? Bunch of people in the same room? I understand these are cheap but I'm not fond on sleeping with a bunch of strangers, It gives me the feeling that when I'm out I can't leave my stuff in a closed room.

No, they are more like motels, it's not very common with hostel's here, people tend to like privacy. Key words are "minimalistic" and "non-modern".

5. I understand I might be a little more specific about what I meant with Sightseeing. Well you might say anything makes the country look interesting, Museum's, castles, just a place that looks beautiful. You might say I want to see something of the country.

One thing you can do, that's right next to Liseberg is this!

Check out this site for things you can experience close to Kolmården, and this for things in Göteborg.

There's probably a lot of things you can see in-between, I will look into it later, I'm rather busy at the moment

• 8 months later...

I'm blowing off dust, This trip has finnaly gained tracktion and seems Green light is soon lighted.

Found out something that I like to have verified/informed over, It's the Tax of Göttenborg:

-I read that I could avoid it in the Weekends, is this true?

-And is this something I have to worry about.

As of now we have the idea to go around August 7th till August 14th maybe a day or 2 longer.

-Any idea on croweds in that period (Kolmården and Liseberg)?

-Any idea on weather, I don't want to park shorts if I aint gonna wear them.

It could be that more questions follow, but for now this is it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys I'm just counting down the hours right now to my Sweden journey and it all becomes very real now.

So slight panic when it comes to details that might not even matter. But I wonder is there any sign directions to Liseberg, and what is the best place to park my car (A map with how to I'm suppose to drive there is welcome)? I still find things very confusing with this park, I'm sure it all ends well but with the Gothenburg tax and the wristbands and parking, we have yet to discover that aspect of the journey, and me being exited doesn't help either.

Hey guys I'm just counting down the hours right now to my Sweden journey and it all becomes very real now.

So slight panic when it comes to details that might not even matter. But I wonder is there any sign directions to Liseberg, and what is the best place to park my car (A map with how to I'm suppose to drive there is welcome)? I still find things very confusing with this park, I'm sure it all ends well but with the Gothenburg tax and the wristbands and parking, we have yet to discover that aspect of the journey, and me being exited doesn't help either.

Hi, I went to Gothenberg and did not even know there was a tax! Hopefully that should comfort you. Also once you drive into Gothenberg, you will have seen the park for a long time. That is the advantage of the park having a 300ft drop tower in top of a hill!

Hi, I went to Gothenberg and did not even know there was a tax! Hopefully that should comfort you. Also once you drive into Gothenberg, you will have seen the park for a long time. That is the advantage of the park having a 300ft drop tower in top of a hill!

Thanks, Well we're here so in a few days we should discover it for ourselfs. Like I said I'm paranoid for the sake of being paranoid, It's my first big trip and everything that is slightly difrent is driving me mad, thanks for the comfort helps me a little. (Sorry for the spelling, internet isn't all crisp so the spell check is out.)